Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shout Color Catcher

There is also a terry cloth that does the same thing. It is from Carbona,made in Germany; color grabber and is reusable for 30 wash loads. I got mine at Hancock fabrics for under $5. But have seen them at Walmart, but a different brand. I use them for every washload and when I wash my new fabrics and quilts.

I use color catchers when I don't have enough to do a full load of darks or whites. So I wash them together, I also use when washing quilts made with batiq fabric or blacks.

I use them all the time.

I wondered if they worked or not. I generally wash all my stuff together - I don't have enough laundry to separate out & my stuff has been washed 1,000 times already.

Thanks, good information

Blog Entries
    From the mother who used to turn my macho sons' football uniforms pink---it is the greatest!

The same for me. There have been a couple of quilts saved this year. I had to search it out at the Home Hardware store though. I couldn't find it in any grocery stores or at Walmart here.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1943
    I use it with quilts and new fabric but not on every day laundry. They have kept me from ruining a couple of quilts and well worth the money.

There are times I throw together darks & lights anyway, but they're all clothes that have been washed dozens of times. I ALWAYS use the color catcher when I wash new fabric - I wouldn't do it without it!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I think Color Cathcers are magic!! I often cut mine in half when washing a small load, and it works fine. If only my DD had used one when she washed my tie-dyed dress with the rest of my clothes. But it's the thought that counts, right??

Blog Entries
    I've used it for years. Love it.

Practical, effective love them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by genafan201
    I saw a commercial for these yesterday and thought to myself there's no way I'd take the chance...

But, it sounds like all ya'll think they are a good thing...So, maybe I'll give it a go...Thanks everybody, cause I was wondering about this.
    I love them, but I don't use them on every load. Only use them when I think something in the load might run. I reuse them all the time if they come out of the wash on the lighter side. Yes they're expensive, but when you need one to prevent colors from bleeding onto your other items, they are priceless.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    read your clothing labels..not all fabric is created equal..and once washed the first time, there is very little risk of bleeding, so you can wash them together without the color catchers...work smarter, not harder and save your $$$ where you can....

Blog Entries
    I love these....HOWEVER.....my DH is the proud owner of multiple pairs of pink underwear due to them. Be very careful of what you mix!

I don't like to prewash my fabric before quilting because it's easier for me to work with. I made a red and white quilt and used the color catchers to wash it with and the red did not bleed onto the white at all. I was instantly sold on the product.

I have used this product for years, for quilts and fabric, as well as all of my laundry, since the days it was a white terry cloth on a "diving" holder. I use each one at least five times, and do not find the cost prohibitive, as it cuts down on the number of loads of laundry I do. I even provide one with laundry instructions with all quilts that I give.

I use them on new fabric, new clothes and very dirty clothes. I LOVE them!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    read your clothing labels..not all fabric is created equal..and once washed the first time, there is very little risk of bleeding, so you can wash them together without the color catchers...work smarter, not harder and save your $$$ where you can....
    I have had fabrics that bleed after the first washing, and I save my $$$ by not using them for every load plus reusing them.

I use them for washing quilts and new fabrics. For laundry, they're too expensive for everyday use, but I do have a couple of clothing items...purples and reds...that still bleed and I've used them a couple of times when those items are in a mixed load.

If I give someone a quilt that has colors (like purples or reds) that might still bleed, I give a box of the Color Catchers and written washing instructions with the quilt.

I use them all the time and they work. I wash new red fabric with whites and the sheet is pink but not the clothes/or other fabric

I did a review of Color Catchers on my blog. I love them!

Blog Entries
    I allways add a Shour color catcher to the first wash of a new quilt

I have used those for about a year now to wash my quilts and make sure they do not bleed into each other. It works great. I go to a commercial washer and use the triple load so they have lots of water, and I use Ivory liquid soap and cold water. First time I put 4-5 sheets in with the quilt and after that I have used only 2 sheets and so far so good. I am doing a purple batik quilt now for a grandson and I will do the same thing with it. I just know that one is going to bleed like crazy. Will also send a box to these sheets with the quilt and will add washing instructions to the back of the quilt. Better be cautious with it than take a chance. Jan

I don't use them to do laundry like this all the time but when I prewash my fabrics or when I'm traveling, you bet I use them and they do work!!

I've used them for years and won't pre-wash my fabric without them. I don't bother with them in the regular laundry. They have free samples here:

http://www.shoutitout.com/coupon/06-10-shoutsample/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast