Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Show me your zoo!!!

OMG that pic of the peach faced parrot going after the cat LOL ... LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!! Little birds are hilarious ... they will take on the world!!!!

There are some gorgeous pictures on this thread!!!!

I adore the cat in the sink pic!!!! Such funny creatures are pets are!

Here's a pic of Kyleigh and her littermate ... can you tell which one is mine?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I live in Sheltered Housing so when my loving companion Muffin passed away last year I could not replace her, she was irreplaceable anyway. She was a Yorkshire Terrier X rescued from a cardboard box dumped on the streets of Glasgow I missed her so much as she had been such a loyal friend for nigh on 13 years and still miss her now. She was also the most dedicated quilt tester and was extremely thorough in her job, didn't care what stage the quilt was at she was there

I couldn't stand being in the flat on my own and as a dog or cat was out of the question I got a cute little Budgie called Bonnie. He "owns" the lounge but is very good with my quilting stuff keeping well away from it preferring to play and roost on his personal playground.

Thanks for starting this topic, it's lovely sharing each others stories about their beloved companions.

I know I've shared this before, but to me, it is purely basenji:
    These dogs havve all died. The pot about 20 minutes before the pic was taken, was full of flowers
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
    I know I've shared this before, but to me, it is purely basenji:
    These dogs havve all died. The pot about 20 minutes before the pic was taken, was full of flowers
    I grew up with Basenjis. I honestly believe they made us smarter. Got to get up early to out-think a Basenji! My favorite memory of Pharoh, our last Basenji was all four of us little kids playing " King of the hill" on the couch, and Pharoh always won! His proper name was "Pharoah of Guadalahara". He was one of the only two AKCs we ever had.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I see your location is Willamette valley, there is a Basenji club there. I bet I'd know the person you got Pharoah from if you cared to share, or maybe just the kennel name
    My husband and I drove from Ohio, to San Francisoco, to Portland one year for our national show
    Easy to keep basenjis and quilts related for this post:
    My Ibis, who I spoke of before, came from a breeder in Seattle. I call her 'the problem child I never had.' I did a rare thing, handquilted a Hawaiian quilt and hung it in the dog room I thought for sure high enough.
    Ibis was there 2 minutes and I heard a crash. She had time to somehow pull it down and chew a few holes in it

I was a breeder before I was in a car accident, and I had a rule: I did't sell puppies to stupid people. They go through life always thinking, about anything, "What's in it for me?"

I'm the Ibis, gotta love me!

You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
    I see your location is Willamette valley, there is a Basenji club there. I bet I'd know the person you got Pharoah from if you cared to share, or maybe just the kennel nameMy husband and I drove from Ohio, to San Francisoco, to Portland one year for our national showEasy to keep basenjis and quilts related for this post:My Ibis, who I spoke of before, came from a breeder in Seattle. I call her 'the problem child I never had.' I did a rare thing, handquilted a Hawaiian quilt and hung it in the dog room I thought for sure high enough.Ibis was there 2 minutes and I heard a crash. She had time to somehow pull it down and chew a few holes in itI was a breeder before I was in a car accident, and I had a rule: I did't sell puppies to stupid people. They go through life always thinking, about anything, "What's in it for me?"I'm the Ibis, gotta love me!
    We got Pharoah when I was six, that was fifty years ago and both my parents have passed, so no way to find out, thank you though.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Making sure this thread doesn't disappear!

Love love love the budgie in the vase pic!!!! It almost looks natural!!!

So many wonderful pics of people's animals!

I grew up with a German Shepherd and if I ever have another dog, it will be another Shepherd. I can't (make that won't...) have one now. I work full time and have a long commute, and with it being just me as the only human in the house, I refuse to have a dog stay home alone most of the day.

That being said, meet Kiki, my Senegal Parrot. She turns 2 years old in January. Such a sweet, sweet birdie!

Name:  kiki.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  13.8 KB Name:  kiki-sewing2.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  60.4 KB

Sorry for those with losses. It's so hard to lose part of the family... sending good wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanErler View Post
    I grew up with a German Shepherd and if I ever have another dog, it will be another Shepherd. I can't (make that won't...) have one now. I work full time and have a long commute, and with it being just me as the only human in the house, I refuse to have a dog stay home alone most of the day.
    Which is why I have two! But I do have another human to help me with them although I do 90% of the dog walking and training.
    Guess who they behave for better?

I see your parrot is as helpful as mine can be!!!!

My dog takes up ALOT of my time!!! I don't have anyone else to help me out ... but I'm single, no kids so no complaints from my end ... I got exactly what I wanted ... and at least now she has an off switch LOL

Feline fanatic ... it's you, of that I have NO DOUBT!

I live with my dad, and his girlfriend visits regularly ... Kyleigh is only allowed on the couch by invite. Sometimes I get her on the couch when my dad's g/f gets up to go to the washroom. She comes back and smiles ... but she flat out won't tell Ky to get down (sheesh LOL) ... all I have to do is stare the back of her head for about 5 seconds and she looks at me, I look to the floor, and she gets off LOL ...

They so know not to mess with the boss LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    Thank you. Tell your sister to just know how I hurt for her. I have cried until I'm embarrassed to be seen with these puffy eyes. But it is always just a little thing that brings another memory. We took a healthy, happy loving kitty to his tragic death. It's hard to get over that.
    What did the vet say...how did that happen? How tragic......I would pursue it.....

This is Missy, the light in my life.
    Marilyn

Blog Entries
    We have 3 dogs currently.

Maya, our GSD, is smarter than us but is careful to hide it most of the time.
    Leah, a black lab, beagle and who knows what else mix, very smart too and is usually "shotgun" on car rides.
    Truman, DD's boxer, is a boxer and 15 months old. Love him mostly but he eats anything & everything including 3 pin cushions. He is smart enough to remove the pins 1st though.
    1st picture is Leah as a younger puppy at the dog park. Probably playing keep away with other dogs.
    2nd picture is Maya with one of her favorite toys. She is highly driven by play.
    I do not have a picture of Truman on my computer. He is fawn colored.

Last edited by chris_quilts; 12-17-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

I can only get some pics of my critters in BOLD. My zoo: Dogs: Portia (5) the whippet, Carmen (6) the dachshund, and Elsie (6) the Chihuahua. I thought it was nice of them to line up and sleep like that so I could take their pictures! The smaller two dogs are rescues. My rescue cats are Zena a grey and white, 18 years old and we wonder how much longer she has with us. Domino (10), is our other cat, a tuxedo. I used to have lots more birds but I've been trying to have less. I still have Jasper my Meyers Parrot who prefers male to female handlers, so I don't handle him much any more, and 4 Cockatiels (Pearl, Piper, Jirra and Jewel) and 2 Rosy Bourkes (Ms. Pinkham and Poppy) who all live in a flight cage. The birds live in my sewing room or my sewing room is in the bird room, I'm not sure which!

Name:  Screen shot 2014-12-17 at 2.00.05 PM.png
Views: 198
Size:  738.5 KB

This is my Ebby girl, a two year old King Charles Cavalier Spaniel.The bottom picture managed somehow to squeeze in as well. It's my avatar Molly who is five.Name:  IMG_2022.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  111.5 KB
    Last edited by Shelbie; 12-17-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Shelbie ... great pics ... I see we live in the same province!

Quote Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
    Making sure this thread doesn't disappear!

Love love love the budgie in the vase pic!!!! It almost looks natural!!!

So many wonderful pics of people's animals!
    Thank you, Bonnie adores it and spends most of the day roosting and playing on it. Here is a pic of his Christmas edition, it was a sheer fluke that he looks as tho' he is on the snowball

Sorry about the bars, we are not in prison, it is the contractors scaffolding who are installing our new double glazing!

Love all the pics!!! I just have to add one of our black cocker spaniel. He loves people and greets everyone when they come to the house. When I have meals ready he will run and get "Dad". He says grace before his meals, will not eat until one of us says "Amen". He will not bark or scratch on the doors to go outside, but will come and put his nose on our knee to let us know his wish. He does all the usual commands as sit, stand, lay down, sleep, stay. He sings "happy Birthday" with us when we sang to family and friends. A constant companion so loved!

Aww, what a cutie!!!!

Here's some winter pics of Kyleigh and her friends ...
    Name:  Ky & Ares eating ice.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  83.3 KB
    Ky and her best bud Ares eating ice - it's -30 with the windchill and they decided it still wasn't cold enough!

Name:  Winter gang.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  134.3 KB

Another cold day in Ottawa ... but we still had loads of fun ...

Hilarious story about this day - we are out in the middle of nowhere (and I mean nowhere) snowshoeing (there are three of us) and these dogs are just racing around the place having a blast, barking up a storm, wrestling and making a TON of noise. (Seriously, it sounded like a bunch of bears LOL)

Suddenly we hear OMG OMG OMG stop stop stop that ...

Kind of freaked, we all called our dogs to us, put them in a down / stay and looked around. From behind a tree came a woman (on showshoes too) and she sees us:

STRANGER: Oh, my, are those your dogs?
    ME: um yes, why?
    STRANGER: I see ...
    ME: what did you think it was?
    STRANGER: I thought it was a pack of wolves or coyotes or something, and they were killing an animal
    ME (forgot to put brain filter on that morning) ... and you were going to try and stop them?
    STRANGER: well, it's not very nice of them to kill a deer or a rabbit
    ME: (in my head ... oh boy!)

My friend - well, it's just our dogs, so it's ok ... have a nice day

And off went the lady snowshoeing IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!!!

It was pretty funny from our perspective! I'm sure I would have wondered had I heard such a ruckus ... I doubt however that I would have tried to stop a pack of wolves / coyotes from eating their meal!

Blog Entries
    I love watching dogs playing in the snow. so darn cute.
    I love how they jump at each other.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I thought my niece had 7 german shepherds, but the Christmas card only has 6! (And the one little guy)
    Lori

Your "zoo" animals are so precious! They are all beautiful. The eyes get me all the time.
    My DH and I use to have cats but now have 2 résumé dogs. One is a 1/2 Pit 1/2 Rhodesian Ridgeback (Charlie) who receives insulin twice a day and the other is a Cheweenie (1/2 long hair dachshund 1/2 chihuahua ) (Carlos) who was abandon on a neighborhood street and was befriended by Charlie.
    they are best buddies despite the fact that neither of them like any dogs.

"I may not believe in what you say but will defend your right to say it"- Voltaire

Our 2 fur babies are litter mates we rescued, and just in time. Our son thought he needed a dog, and having said goodby to our sweet Gadget (feline leukemia) we said we would like one also. A man who worked under his supervision was a rat terrier and beagle breeder. Well there was a Romeo and Juliet situation so he had a litter of Rat Beagles. As a breeder he couldn't sell mixed dogs and was so ticked at the dog parents he was going to put the puppies down if he couldn't give them away. Our DS chose the male runt "Remy" and picked his feisty sister "Sadie" for us. He lives in GA so by the time he came down to us he had wised up to the fact that he wasn't ready for puppies. Our babies are 6 yrs old now and Sadie runs the show. Remy is deaf - and this makes him insecure- Sadie makes sure he knows what's going on and protects him fiercely. To the point we don't take them to the dog park any more because Sadie can be a bully (she is under the impression she is a wolf hound so the size of any other dog doesn't intimidate her). She has to have her head elevated most of the time when she's sleeping, she loves her pillows; Remy always wants to sleep on Dad's lap. We love them, but hunters are a handful! We can't have a cat, because they think cats are just really good looking squirrels- and squirrels are prey! So are lizards, grubs, beetles and- Sadie's favorite- snakes. Have some sweet babies at the Rainbow Bridge- my parents were cocker spaniel breeders when I was young- so they were all there with ours to greet my Mom. The good byes are temporary ( my belief is that no way was God going to create all these amazing animals and not give them an eternity too!), but my heart goes out to all who have lost beautiful companions. Joy, comfort and unconditional love are the gifts they give us.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  671.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  1.13 MB
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

6 German Shepherds and one is a coatie!!!!!! I would so LOVE to visit that house!!!! OMG Heaven for me!

All of these animals and their stories behind them are wonderful. It's so nice to read about the rescues and the adoptions and people simply opening their homes and hearts to these wonderful creatures.

Can't let this thread die ... I've read lots of posts about animals ... let's see those pics!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast