Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sign this Petition - Make school lunches Better >

Sign this Petition - Make school lunches Better

Sign this Petition - Make school lunches Better

Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 AM
Banned

If anyone here knows who jamie oliver is. He is going around all the school and teaching the lunch ladies as well as the kids how to prepare healthy lunches. We all know obesity is at the all time highest for our youth. Please sign this and lets try to shake up the government and demand better lunches.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns...ution/petition

(the site is a little to slow, please have patience, its very busy - millions are signing)

Thank you.

Melissa
Old 04-16-2010, 06:43 AM

i have been watching the show..thanks!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:31 AM

I find it amazing that they've been talking about a way to make school lunches better since I was a kid....and I'm 60.....and they haven't figured out how yet!!!! And after watching my 15 yr old granddaughter when last here, I believe it's not necessarily the school lunches that's causing obesity. It's having moms not there after school and the gorging they do!!!! Yes, moms have to work, I was a working mother, but we/they aren't able to watch what they do. My granddaughter would start gorging after 3:00 every day -- or say she was STARVED --- and I'd fed her breakfast AND lunch!! I'd give her a good snack, but one time she asked if she could cook a package of Kraft mac and cheese!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

I agree, Kids are always hungry, My little girl will eat and eat unless I tell her no. But I am lucky she eats all her fruits and veggies without much fuss. At least she tries it. I think also being active helps.

The school lunches were as gross when I was in public school.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 AM

I read that Alice Waters is trying to promote a garden plot at every school where the kids could grow vegetable and then have them served in the cafeteria. I think that would be a great thing to do. Teaches the kids so much about where food comes from, patience to let things grow, and responsibility to care for something, along with promoting healthier eating.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

I feel very sad when I see an overweight child. That is one obstacle against them before they even start.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:39 PM

I work in an elementary school as a lunch monitor and you should see what some of these kids get for lunch. It's not school lunch I'm talking about. The lunches the parents are sending in with their kids!! Awful!!! Mcdonalds, Duncan Donuts, soda, bag of cookies as a lunch... Everyday the children are served 5 servings of something. Milk, fruit, vegetable, meat and bread. Today as an example... they had a choice of whole wheat pizza, sliced turkey lettuce tomato on wrap, peanut butter and jelly, yogurt ,cheese sandwich(wheat bread) ...then they get peaches,carrots and celery sticks w/dip.... and choice of milk..choc. straw. 1%white. skim white. This is alot of food. But it is portioned appropriately. Most of the problems are because the parents don't portion control. In the school they have too. It's called government regulation. The lunch ladies are given a monthly menu and are told to follow it. They don't decide what to make, but are told what to make.

No school is perfect, but alot of the pointing of the fingers should be the parents..... They think a quick fix is a bag of chips and a soda! And that is what they send in!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned

wow susie that is just awful! The parents should be held accountable.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:46 PM

It is awful! And like you said about your daughter, is true with alot of families. We try and make sure they have healthy choices to make and we do limit their intake for good reason. My Son is 15 and I have caught him sneaking in the kitchen at 12:30am last weekend. He was trying to get make a sandwich. I understand he is growing. Shooting up is more like it. This year alone he grew 4 inches. His 3rd pair of sneakers his feet keep growing. But I monitor his food. Only because He would keep eating and eating. I make him lunch 3 days a week for school. I let him buy the other 2 but he has to make a healthy choice or I will take that away from him. Our school system has the ability for the parents to view their childs lunch spending and their classes. So I know what he eats for lunch. He would be huge and unhealthy if I didn't.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

That's what the parents eat so the kids don't know any better. Value dollar meals are cheap and filling and will shut the kids up.