Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
SMART fortwo car...do you have one? >

SMART fortwo car...do you have one?

SMART fortwo car...do you have one?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
They are more and more of them on the road in So Cal! Cute for buzzing around town, but I would go very far with it.
That would be my thought. I fear for the people in them on the freeways around here!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM

I have a couple of friends and family members that own one.. and they LOVE it........Yep, EVERYWHERE in Europe! they also have a 4 door version...( 4 person)
When they first came out they were so pricey, glad to see they are becoming more resonably priced.
We would consider one , if we were in the market for a new car. We are retired, do not drive alot of miles, mostly trips to TX and Back to MN. My Nissan Altima gets over 30 MPG, is paid for and relatively low milage, so I don't think we will be shopping anytime soon.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM

They are actually not much worse than any other car in a collision. I was always afraid of what would happen if you were hit from the back, but saw one and it wasn't bad. I crossed the country in an Aveo, which is not much bigger and it held so well it was amazing.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maride
They are actually not much worse than any other car in a collision. I was always afraid of what would happen if you were hit from the back, but saw one and it wasn't bad. I crossed the country in an Aveo, which is not much bigger and it held so well it was amazing.
I looked at the Ford Fiesta just now..wow...and in LIME SQUEEZ too,,on the lot....going to check out the Aveo next....
Old 05-04-2011, 12:38 PM

Have been in quite a few in England, my Step-Daughter has one (her second in fact), her husband had one, ex-boyfriend had one ... etc. I was very put off by them at first but not any more after viewing some safety video's, and riding in them as well (including on the dreaded M25 racetrack to Heathrow!!). The "egg" that surrounds the car is actually quite protective and the lightness of the car makes them "bounce" rather than just "crumple".

That said, I think they're fantastic CITY cars, I would not however want one if I did all Interstate driving because of the heavy truck traffic. With the big Semi's it's not so much that I think I'll get hurt more in a Smart than I would in another vehicle, cause no matter what your driving when a Semi decides to hit you - your toast. What I am worried about is that the car is so darn small they're not easy to be seen by larger trucks. Trucks are not used to looking that low to the ground for other vehicles :)

But how much "stuff" will you need to haul around town? If more than a few small grocery bags, you will be looking for additional space. Smart cars are not made for hauling much more than the oxygen that the driver requires to remain lucid.

If your primary focus is fuel efficiency, there are more fule efficient cars out there that will have more space as well ... Honda Insight, Toyota Prius, Ford Fusion, Honda Civic Hybrid. Not 100% sure how each of these stacks up in purchase price compared to the Smart though (suspect the Prius at least is pricier than the Smart). Hubby and I test drove the Insight and the Prius and we didn't like them - both for the same reason - reduced rear visibility (they both have this bar across the back split rear window - bothersome). And of the course the Nissan Leaf which is all electric. I personally have no use for an all electric because of the limited range before you need a re-charge.

That said ... I think the Smart are fantastic little cars built by one of the most reputable automobile makers in the world (Mercedes Benz), and designed by one of the most innovative companies of the 20th century (Swatch).
Old 05-04-2011, 12:40 PM

[quote=jaciqltznok]
Originally Posted by Maride
I looked at the Ford Fiesta just now..wow...and in LIME SQUEEZ too,,on the lot....going to check out the Aveo next....
The Fiesta is a good car, well respected in Europe - about time Ford brought it back to the US.

The Aveo I can't say the same about. It's basically a Daiwoo with a Chevy badge. Not a good reputation.

While your out shopping check out the Honda Fit.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

As already said, there's not a lot there to help protect you, in a worse case scenario. Yes, many others aren't much better ... but there is better!

Ditto on the concerns re highway driving. I drive an ML, and even on windy days, I can feel the wind hitting it. I often wonder if Smart's and other similar mini cars, would blow right off the road! At the least, gaas mileage would be sure to drop, as it fought winds.

When they first came out, and I was getting my new ML, I asked the dealer about it. He said, he saw them as an enclosed golf cart and something or Senior's as a run-about in their gated community! Being someone who was selling them and saying that, his comment has stuck in my mind.

BTW there was a remake on the original design and engine a few years ago. Be sure you know which you are getting and whether it has maintained it's ratings with the new specs. Friends had one ordered at the time, and when they found out about the remake, they cancelled it before it showed up.

The only way you are going to really know if it is for you, is to go the distance to your nearest dealer, and give one a try. I'd want to rent one for a week or more, to give it a better fair try!

Good Luck ... getting a new car, can be very stressing, and too, a lot of fun!! :)
Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 PM

I thought I had read that they don't get that good of gas mileage.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by decky
I thought I had read that they don't get that good of gas mileage.
I "think" the original diesels had terrific mileage .. and the newer gas version, not so.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 PM

I normally don't get in conversations like this but look at the Scion. We got the XD in September and we are getting an average of 35 mpg. Nice car, we have had no problems and it is fun to drive. Just a thought.