Smoker's challenge

Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 AM

Kudos to you for quitting! I have found that stepping away and taking deep, slow breaths (while reminding yourself this is what you want) helped me.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:11 AM

Just remember that if you have JUST 1 you are hooked again. There is no way around that. Good Luck! I no longer have a problem being around other smokers. I quit 2 years ago.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:14 AM

I have to think of myself as a "nicotine addict" and as such, just one will put me right back where I was. It was so very hard to quit, I don't want to have to ever go through that again. Besides my house always smells nice now, my clothes and hair smell good. The inside of my car never stinks from old smoke. I no longer have a cough.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:14 PM

If you want to quit smoking, you can. All you have to do is to make that commitment to yourself and KEEP IT. I quit cold turkey after smoking for over 40 years. I was and still am very proud of myself!! I love to challenge myself and believe me that was quite a challenge.

Just remember, you are one puff away from a pack a day, so don't smoke that one!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Wow! I wish I had some advice..straw sounds good, gum, etc. I smoke too...hate it to death, but just more addicted than the avg. bear I guess. Maybe you could also take something that smells very good to you, that will remind you how bad the smoke really smells and how you don't want to "go there" again.

You can do it! It gives me hope if you succeed :)
Old 06-24-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by annyroony2
If you want to quit smoking, you can. All you have to do is to make that commitment to yourself and KEEP IT. I quit cold turkey after smoking for over 40 years. I was and still am very proud of myself!! I love to challenge myself and believe me that was quite a challenge.

Just remember, you are one puff away from a pack a day, so don't smoke that one!!!
How did you get past the anxiety, or was that a problem for you?? I have an extremely horrible, emotional time..crying, try sleeping to get past that feeling, etc. I can't function like that. I must quit, but I don't want to have a nervous breakdown doing it! Wow, that sounds very pathetic, but it really is that bad for me :(
Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Originally Posted by annyroony2

How did you get past the anxiety, or was that a problem for you?? I have an extremely horrible, emotional time..crying, try sleeping to get past that feeling, etc. I can't function like that. I must quit, but I don't want to have a nervous breakdown doing it! Wow, that sounds very pathetic, but it really is that bad for me :(
I just took it one day at a time. I didn't say it was easy. It was not. I was in a fog for about a week and then it started to get better. I did a lot of walking, sewing, dusting, anything I could do to keep busy. Then I started noticing that I was really calmer inside. Smells were better, I was walking better and everything was better. BUT it is almost like you have to reprogram your life. Check out this website: www.whyquit.com. It is really a great site.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the link- looks like a lot of info!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:22 PM

Lost my dad 2 years ago to emphesema. Miss him. He quit smoking many years ago when he first found out he had the illness. He didn't have a real hard time stopping. If he only would have stopped when he was young. Wish you the BEST. Have a positive week end!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:40 PM

You can do it. If I could, anyone can. This July will mark 4 years smoke-free for me. I tried to quit more times than I can remember, and spent a lot of money on the process. Then, my doctor prescribed a wonderful little pill called Chantix...it worked!!! Good luck to you on keeping your resolve. Keep us all posted on your progress.