Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: So I think I want a kindle. What is your experience thoughts?

Di
    My DH got me a kindle for Christmas. I wanted it because we go on motorcycle trips and there's not much room for extra things and I love to read. While we haven't taken any trips yet, I still like to read it. I also love the feel of the books in my hands, so when I really get the urge, I pick up one of the books I have at the house or go to the library and get my fix.

Best of both worlds.

I am not very happy about the price of new books though. The ones I looked at were only a $1 less than a paperback. Not like the publisher has very much money invested that the price couldn't be lower.

I also have games downloaded on my kindle, so if I'm not in the mood to read, I can play games.

I also resisted for the longest time but my DH finally talked me into getting a Kindle and I love it! I take it everywhere. I got the wi-fi edition, really don't have a need for 3G. I just download lots of free books and I'm set. Also many of the local libraries are now offering ebooks for loan. And if you use an iPad they have a Kindle app - so you can be reading a book on the iPad or Kindle.

My children got me one for Christmas-I like it -you can make the words bigger if you need to but then there is a limit to how much of the page comes onto the screen. I downloaded The Aloha Quilt and read it but I am still going to but the paperback as I have all those books in the series and I enjoy the feel of a book in my hands too-I guess I'm old fashioned too.

My sister has Parkinson's and she appreciates that can turn pages with just the press of a button. Also, you can choose the size of the print. Hers is a Kindle.

I received a Nook for Christmas. It is a basic model and I am still learning about it. One of the good things is you can go to the Barnes & Noble for free instructions. Also you can go there and read some for free. We have a store within two miles of us so it is very convenient. I really don't know very much about the process yet. I really think it will be good for vacation reading.

I still get books from the library.

You won't be disappointed. I LOVE my Kindle! I don't go anywhere without it! Be sure to get a good cover to protect it and a good light forreading at night. There are a lot of books you can get for free also. Just check it out on Amazon.com.

I too put off getting one, because I thought I'd miss the feel of a book, but my husband gave me a Nook for Christmas and my daughter picked out a cover that resembles a leather bound "classic" I love it!! I can download from 3 library systems which is great. I was warned that Kindles (vs. Nook) have issues sometimes with downloading. One benefit is that if I have a problem, I just stop at the Kindle counter at B&N and they are most helpful.

I've had mine for a couple of years and love it for travel, waiting on appointments, etc. Instead of carrying several books to read when traveling, I have Kindle loaded with books. Like the computer, it is a wonderful tool. Still buy "paper" books because I love the touchy, feely stuff.

Never thought I would like or even want a Kindle, but I was homebound recovering from yet another surgery :) and decided to go for it. I have had mine for about 1.5 years and absolutely LOVE it!! As far as eyestrain goes, I love the fact that I can increase the font size so that these 55+ eyes don't even need my reading glasses to enjoy a book! Bought my husband one for his 60th birthday and he really enjoys his as well. My friend has a color Nook and loves it.

I got mine two Christmases ago and LOVE IT!!! Now when I hear about a book that I want to read I can download it immediately. I love to share titles with friends and family and I have all the names and authors readily available in my archives so that I can give them the info. Once I was on a plane sitting next to a woman with her Kindle and we gave each other a list of books we liked. Get one, you'll love it.

I have the 3g and I love it. I didn't care about the color as I didn't want to pay extra as the books I read are all black and white anyway. I tis so easy to download and the most I have paid for a book is 10 dollars. I read a lot of mysteries and most of the odnes I buy are around 4 dollars.
    My husband read a lot of civil wars books and lot of his are free. We both have one and love it. Besides I was so tired of my book sleves being over loaded and having to take them all of the shelf and dust. Also finding some one to take them. Now I am going to purchase some nice leather bound books to put on my shelfs and not over load it and make it look nice. I don't think you will regreat getting a Kindle or any e-book.

I don't have one YET! My sister has one and last summer we took a 10 day trip. She had the kindle and I had a suitcase full of books. The kindle held the charge the whole time. I haven't committed to buy one yet, but it is sure getting close. Our library has the online ability to check out E books now.

I have a Kindle (would like to sell it) but just got the Nook from Barnes and Nobles. If you read a lot, the Nook can also access public library books, the Kindle cannot. Either way, you will LOVE It!

I have the Pandigital Novel in color. It works with Barnes & Noble. I really like it. I would definitely get one that is 3G though. It's a pain to have to find a wi-fi location to download books.

I got the nook after comparing because the nook has space for an extra sd card and if the battery dies you can change it the kindle if the battery dies you have to get a new kindle. And the nook does have 4G now.

Thanks for the download expense info. I also love to read and I'll have to give all the info on the board some more consederation. Metopogijo

I have Kindle for iPad. I wanted the all in one tablet. It rarely leaves my side. I LOVE it. The kindle app works just like the kindle, and I can put other readers on it too. I'm typing this post and reading the board on it right now!

I have both the iPad with Kindle app and the Kindle - I love them both. At home I tend to use the iPad for reading but when waiting in a doctors office, etc I take the Kindle because it is smaller and lighter. Of course the Kindle is much cheaper than the iPad.

My son and DIL both use them and like them. I don't have much inclination to get one, however. Usually I buy used books for a few dollars at the Friends of the Library bookstore, and re-donate when I'm finished. They support the library coming and going. When I'm on a sewing binge, an audio book is ideal. Any book over 100 years old is in the public domain and usually easy to find free online, some as audio books. On your computer, you can enlarge the text (on any site - including this one) by holding down the control key and scrolling the mouse wheel.

Blog Entries
    I love my Kindle also, I was given one for Christmas, can't stop using it. its so much easier to read and no more buying books or going to the library.

i got a nook color, and am having fun, have alot to learn, but the color in books is so nice..

I love my Kindle that I got for Christmas. I love that it is lightweight and lies flat. You can read it outside in the sunlight and you turn the page simply by pushing a button. During a 3 day car trip I discovered I can read and knit at the same time.

Blog Entries
    I also have a Kindle. Where do you ladies get your free books from amazon, am i missing something?

quiltsru

I have a Nook and just love that thing!!!

Blog Entries
    I agree! And I don't think I'm "that" old. :)

Blog Entries
    I agree with naturalmama! And I don't think I'm "that" old. :)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast