Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some of my better-buy tools ... >

Some of my better-buy tools ...

Some of my better-buy tools ...

Old 02-02-2017, 05:22 PM
DJ

Default Some of my better-buy tools ...

I couldn’t easily find a current thread to post these ideas to, so I’ve started my own. These tools are not necessarily related to quilting, so I put this in the General Chit-Chat section.

I attend many local seminars which are like infomercials for crafting tools, and I’m always tempted by something, but reluctant to spend money on items that may turn out to be useless. Often I think it is so easy to use something I already have or use other methods to achieve the same result. However, I thought I’d share some of my better buys. Yes, there are other and cheaper ways, but I find these tools particularly useful.

I’ve included some links to the products, but a Google search will, of course, have many purchase options.

Pinmoores: http://www.pinmoor.com/

I don’t use these often, but they are particularly handy when I want to pin something that I need to be handling quite a bit without sticking my fingers. My pins seem to be really sharp, and I tend to bleed easily. I asked Santa for some in my stocking one year.

Dritz Quick Turn Fabric Tube Turners: http://www.joann.com/tube-turner-sets/8588634.html
I finally broke down and got an inexpensive set of these turners. Yes, I could have gotten a straw and a long skewer, but I never got around to corralling them in my studio. This set with three sizes just appealed to me and was discounted at an event I attended. They have come in very handy on a couple of recent projects and I'm very glad I broke down and purchased them.

Bias Tape Maker: http://www.joann.com/search?q=bias+tape+maker

A friend purchased this little gizmo for me when she asked me to make some folded fabric strips for her. It works without strips being cut on the bias. Mine is a 1” size, and I’m surprised at how often I find opportunities to use it.

Clover Fabric Folding Pen: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fabric-Folding-Pen/34934863

I was amazed when this pen was demonstrated at a seminar, yet felt it was a real impulse purchase. Since then, I have used it repeatedly. It was particularly handy when I was making crib sheets and needed to fold the long pieces of fabric over 1/4” and then again at 1/2" to for a casing. Using my quilting ruler on the cutting mat, I just drew along the fabric at 1/4" and 1/2" then easily folded it over for pressing. Like magic! I wonder what the chemical solution is.

Hope these are helpful.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:25 AM

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:40 AM

Thank you! This is a great idea for a thread. I'm going to attend the Pomona (Los Angeles area) Quilting, Craft and Sewing Festival later this month and will look for that Clover Fabric Folding Pen. I generally buy notions with a JoAnn's coupon, but who knows -- maybe I'll find something wonderful. I have bought Bohin fabric markers (they're really lead holders) and leads at craft shows and been very happy with them.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:18 PM
mac

This is a great idea for a thread. But, why is my mind suddenly blank on all the things I think are a great and helpful to have? I guess I am going to have to think on this.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:35 AM

My newer item that I love is the Wonder clips and want to buy the longer ones too. I appreciate you sharing your favs.