Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!! >

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Some things just make me want to SWEAR!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:26 AM

Oh do I feel for you. My 'puter crashed two years ago and for the most part I had our financial info backed up plus all my patterns. Notice financial info and patterns are the primary backups. I'll have a drink for you if it will help and #@%$*&@#!$%^&(!%^ at the durn computer.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:39 AM

I'm sorry this happened! I "restored" a PC before and lost everything too, so I can feel your pain. I actually had a nice picture of me. Those are rare!

I don't know if we are allowed to share sites on here, but I am now using the free Mozy backup. They have a paid subscription, but I think the free one backs up 2G. I know it gets all my documents (you can choose what to back up). It stores your info on their server, not on your PC anywhere. It's encrypted, so it should be private even if hacked.

I learned about Mozy from Kim Komando emails I get.

If it happens to me again I hope Mozy will have my "stuff"
Old 07-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
What a pain! I have been saving patterns in PDF format and then downloading to disk. I buy cheap packs of disc covers from Red Dot (dollar store) and print out labels with a contents list. That way if my computer crashes or dies I will have a library to refer to.

After loosing all mine a few years ago, that is what I do. Putthem on disk.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:36 PM

I put sites I really want to save on Delicious.com. Not only are they saved "out there" to be retrieved when wanted/needed, but I can access them from any computer, anywhere. And, I can tag them with several labels so I can search with a narrow topic, and write notes about each site. I really like it.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:58 PM

I am so sorry for you. This is exactly the reason why, when I find something I really like I copy and paste it into a Word document or save a pdf or picture to my external hard drive. Then I always have it and don't have to worry that the info is gone or the site no longer exists which happens a lot. A lot of patterns get taken off sites after awhile too. So if you want them copy them and paste into a separate document. I right click on pictures and save them. Now I don't have to worry about it. I also copy the information I have stored on my Western Digital external hard drive onto CD's just as a back up in case that thing decides to give up the ghost one day. I do all this from learning the hard way.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:59 PM

Been there...not any fun at all!! :thumbdown: :-(
Old 07-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Anne P
I put sites I really want to save on Delicious.com. Not only are they saved "out there" to be retrieved when wanted/needed, but I can access them from any computer, anywhere. And, I can tag them with several labels so I can search with a narrow topic, and write notes about each site. I really like it.
Be careful about these types of web sites too. They are here one day and gone tomorrow along with all your saved info. I just read about this online the other day.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:27 PM

THAT SUCKS!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Once you're on Google...or G mail...then what? can you just add saves one at a time or what? No body ever called me a puter expert! I'm thankful for all the help I can find. My puter is used for saves (quilt sites,blogs & help sites),e mail & surfing. No games or videos.I have MacBook.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Use google bookmarks! They are kept online, you can't lose them . Also get Carbonite and never lose files or pictures again.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I bet a "geek" could get your files back!