Song lyrics

Old 09-04-2020, 11:17 AM

Willferg, there are worse things than having the Blues Brother in your head. From the album/before the movie "Rubber Biscuit" gets stuck in my head. From the movie, it's Think with Aretha Franklin more than She Caught the Katy. From Blues Brothers 2000 --- well, we try to forget but I'm a huge fan of Jonny Lang.

From what I understand, the Katy is a train-- Missouri Kansas Texas (K-T) line, and she headed out of the country and into town. Like Ruby (here comes another ear worm) you just don't want to take your love to town.

We sing the blues to rise above before we are pulled below.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:41 PM

My son is very musical and taught me the ultimate cure for an earworm. Sing the lyrics of America the Beautiful to the Gilligan's Island theme song. I admit, he had to demonstrate it for me, I just could not do it until he did. Now it is a handy tool for me.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:45 PM

Argh...earworms! All I have to do is hear/see that word and I can't get Lemon Tree by Trini Lopez out of my head. That song has tortured me off and on for years.

I'll have to try the "writing the lyrics out longhand" trick to see if I can make it stop!

Last edited by SherylM; 09-04-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:08 AM

iceblossom. Katy indeed was a train line. Now part of the old rail bed is a bike/hike trail that geos from St. Louis to almost Kansas City I've ridden parts of it. Each may there I s musical event on the Katy.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:04 AM

I remember hearing a discussion on the radio once about misunderstood song lyrics, the only example they gave that I can remember was the Steve Miller Band, the line goes "big ol jet airliner" but this person always thought it was "big old Jack had a light on". My husband and I had a long standing joke about that; before Covid he traveled a lot for his job, when he'd return, I'd always ask him about big ol Jack and whether his light was on.

The one that I get wrong every single time, to this day, is Abba's "Take A Chance On Me", when I was young I always thought the chorus was "Olly oxen free" instead of "honey I'm still free". 🤣

My favorite earworm is Sneaky Snake, because it brings back a lot of good memories of my childhood.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:54 AM

My favorite misheard song is the Rolling Stones "Start me up". When our son was young, 3-4 he would sign along to anything he could. He changed the first line to a repeat of "Gustavio's truck", and the chorus was "you make a ground plane fly". Most of the other lines were incoherent. We still giggle and laugh about it.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:01 AM

Not music but when my son was little he insisted the word awesome was "bossem".

I love some of the common misheard lyrics and have to sing them even though I know the real words...

I want to rock and roll all night and part of every day (party)
Kiss, I want to Rock and Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFMD7Usflbg

There's a bathroom on the right (bad moon on the rise)
Credence Clearwater Revival, Bad Moon Rising
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQiUFZ5RDw

And how can you not sing (and add in the Angela)
Hold me closer, Tony Danza (tiny dancer)
Sir Elton, Tiny Dancer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcyacLRPNs