Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Christmas

Banned
    Blog Entries

Speaking of Christmas

I hear a lot of people getting depressed at Christmas,,,its hard to afford gifts in this economy. My family has not done gift giving for years as far as "spending" money.
    Aside from the real reason for Christmas ,,its way overated,stresses people out and is a financial burden..
    At our house we have a meal,sing together( I play the piano,,,my son and grandsons play the guitar),we trade home made goodies and just hang out.
    One thing my sister and I always did(she is deceased now) is through out the year we would see something at one anothers house that we liked and comment on it and at Christmas we would surprise each other with one of the items.That was our personal little tradition,and I miss it now that she is gone,but my daughter and I sometimes do that.
    Another thing my kids did(years ago when they were small) was on Christmas eve they would snuggle up beside the Christmas tree,and sleep there.That started out of our house being cold and them sleeping near the woodstove,but it turned into a tradition,and I slept there too(I was a single mom,so we did things differently than most anyway).My kids still talk about "tree night" and tell their kids about it.
    When people ask me if I have my shopping done yet,I just smile. For those who can afford it,God bless them,but for those of us who cant,,,make your own traditions and just be thankful .No fighting crowds,no standing in return lines,no stressing over what to get for who,,,so on and so on!!! Wheee!!!!

Blog Entries
    You have some precious memories there! We have scaled back our Christmas too, with a few gifts going to the grandbabies and underware and socks to the parents! I like to make as many gifts as possiable, this year is a no make year due to health issues on my part. Remember the real reason for Christmas and save yourself a lot of stress.
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

We should all remember the real reason for Christmas. I am shocked and saddened at the number of people who say that Christmas is not a religious holiday; that it is not a Christian holiday, just a nice holiday for anyone. To me that is like saying we should all observe Ramadan or Passover.

Blog Entries
    For untold reasons this is also a problem at my house. We will have a nice family dinner, buy what we can afford, and have a great day. As far as I am concerned it is a day for the children. Remember those who can will do and those who can't will still have a good time.

Blog Entries
    We scaled back last year. Not only bc of money, but my children are adults and buy what they want. I was always stressing over the perfect gift. Does it exist? Now I do stockings for all. Olivia, the only little grandchild, gets gifts too.
    Due to health issues with DH, I'm slow to start decorating this year, much less worry about gifts. Glad we chose to scaled back last year.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

Bless you!

What if you don't have family nearby? All my family live very far away. So I can understand when people say it's a sad time for them.
    I feel the same way. I don't even want to decorate for Xmas. I just think of all the stuff I would have to take down. LOL We are going to have a very very small tree this year. Nothing special. Bah Humbug!

Thank-you for that post! As a single Mom and trying to make ends meet from check to check there just isn't any real surpluss for all the crazy Christmas shopping blitzes that I refuse to participate in anyway...Christmas is about God's gift to the world and I stress that we are so blessed all year through that we need to compare down to those who are not just in need of a gift, but time and love and encouragement this Christmas season. When all the wrapping is thrown away I remind the girls that every year 6 mo. after Christmas there is really only the one gift they ask for that they remember getting. We too have had a tree night by our fireplace and roast marshmallows and watch a Christmas movie and every Christmas morning before opening gifts we read the Christmas story from the Bible. Thank-you again, and God BLess you all
    " She Thought She Could, so She DID!..."

Christmas celebrations can be whatever you want them to be. We have scaled down over the years as the kids and grandkids have gotten older. Gift cards work best noe. Two little Great Granddaughters are easy to buy for. I pretty much spend what I can afford and that works well.
    Last edited by Jingle; 12-02-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

You warmed my heart today...thank you.

Blog Entries
    Words of wisdom we might all abide by. My immediate family is three and my extended family is my one and only sister her husband, children and grands. We give gifts to each other through church related ministry. Last year I gave my son Soccer Balls that went to a boys mission school. My sister and brother-in-law received a goats that went to support as family in Africa and we helped build a well at Christmas also. This was done with the help of my sister and husband. My other children come off of the Salvation Army Christmas Tree and. We hav been so blessed in our lives that this seemed the best way for us to celebrate Christmas.
    Previously known as McQuilter, Jan 22, 2009 with 1,400 + posts
    Today, I am as old as I have ever been.
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Blog Entries
    That is really awesome! I am glad you have such nice christmas traditions... your christmas sounds a lot like our thanksgiving tradition, but I kinda like the idea of just 'hanging out' with the family. this year our oldest child is making gifts to give away, so she is learning the gift of giving and at the same time having fun of being creative. I am hoping to develop some more nice christmas traditions as our kids get older.
    Thanks for sharing your traditions with us!
    I quilt for my sanity!

We do not celebrate Christmas with presents. We have what we call a "First Fire." This is the first fire we put in our fireplace on the first really cold night of the year, we usually plan it on a weekend. The date varies, but we know it will be in either November or December. On this night, we bring something to share foodwise, a little wine and basically sit around the fireplace, no TV or radio or stereo. We talk about our year, how it went, our joys, concerns, eat popcorn, listen to the fire and just "chill" as my youngest daughter likes to say. It is soothing, it does not entail presents, everyone can either participate or just snooze in front of the fire. The kids play in the room around us as we sit in front of the fire or sleep on someones lap. We make plans to keep everyone over night because we usually talk until the wee hours and in the morning have a BIG breakfast. Everyone goes home. Over the years I have asked the girls if they want to continue to do this and the answer is a resounding Yes.

Thank you. You made me stop and remember the true meaning of Christmas. I am so thankful just to have my family around me on this beautiful day.

Blog Entries
    Our family quit giving gifts about 4 years ago and just have a nice dinner, It's so much more relaxing and
    A lot less stress. We don't miss it at all.

We've cut way back on gifts too as we just don't need them to have a wonderful meal together and a family day. My kids are all young adults and I buy a few simple things (socks, mitts,
    chocolate) and give them $ to spend at the Boxing Day sales right after Christmas. That way
    they can buy the clothes or electronics they want and I don't have to worry about sizes and
    colours and exchanges when items don't fit. It works well for us.
    Last edited by Shelbie; 12-02-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Having a 12 yr old daughter, we still do the gift thing because she enjoys it, but we always pick an older person that we know lives on a very limited budget and take in grocery staple items for them plus things like toilet paper, dish and laundry detergent, canned goods, sugar, flour, etc.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Since my sons and their families live too far away to visit and sending gifts in the mail has gotten so expensive our Christmas gift from them are a phone call from each. Living on SSA is hard enough and our check comes in on the 4th Weds of the month. This month it will be in on the 28th. Three days after Christmas. I do like to send cookies, that if my two sons do not get they would be dissapointed, and a few small things for each of the members of the families but we usually buy after Christmas (50% off) and they have something to look forward to after the New Year. Other then that I miss the traditions that we had before they moved away and have my own little pity party and then pull up my Big Girl Pants and go on with the New Year. Wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas (how ever you spent it) and a Very Happy New Year!!!

Blog Entries
    I try really hard not to get depressed and sad at Christmas, but it doesn't work. I am very thankful for what I have and very thankful for my furbabies, but it is still really hard to be alone on holidays.
    Sadiemae

We've scaled back because of retirement funds being so little and the kids are grown and have their own houses and lives. One son and DIL always give us an updated family pic already framed and that is special to me. The older kids like money so that's easy and the little ones are easy to buy a gift or two for. We don't spend lots of money but I'm making things this year. I've always done large cookie and candy boxes for each family and I do that for my neighbors also. It's the little things that make the holidays for me.
    Debra

Sadiemae, I can almost identify with you. I started crying this week thinking about when I would be a widow. I know I shouldn't anticipate sorrow and should just be so happy I still have my husband alive, but sometimes the knowledge that I won't have him always comes and it makes me so sad. I hope you can cope in whatever way works for you, and that memories can comfort you. And that you can feel God's love close to you when we celebrate this time of remembering the birth of Christ.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sadimae,,,please feel free to Pm me and visit online at Christmas!!! Not the same as being there,but maybe it will help you not feel so alone...I know that would be very difficult.Y0u are loved!! Hugs!!!!

Sad at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
    I try really hard not to get depressed and sad at Christmas, but it doesn't work. I am very thankful for what I have and very thankful for my furbabies, but it is still really hard to be alone on holidays.
    Sadiemae, feel free to PM me when you get sad. The people on this board are all loving, giving people. You have MANY friends!

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for thinking of me, I appreciate it so much. It was a long night. I didn't know they were shooting off fireworks in my little town, and my little poodle was a basketcase all night. I am glad it is time for bed.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    SadieMae, I am exactly where you are. I have wonderful children, but several live away and the others are busy with their own lives. I cried last night, but today is new day. I finally realized I am no one's primary giftgiver - except the dogs and they don't need anything except love, walks and food. I am getting a small gift for each family member - and that's a large number - 5 children, 4 in law children, 12 grandchildren, 4 in law GC, 7 great GC and seven others. I had to give away my big tree because I couldn't deal with it alone due to health restraints. I will have a small prelit one.

I still manage to enjoy the season and the love of family of friends, but there are still many alone times.

You are wise, RIversong, to make memories while you can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast