Staying Busy

Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 AM

Default Staying Busy

I've been less mobile for the last month after a knee injury and subsequent surgery. So "Staying Busy" was my motto. Getting around better now, but thought I would share what I've been doing. This isn't quilting, but I couldn't go downstairs to my sewing machine, so crocheted while watching tv for first week or so after surgery. 4 blankets and 26 small hats.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]438919[/ATTACH]
I found a small piece of Halloween fabric about 12 inches square in my container of donated fabrics and put on my thinking cap to see what I could do with it. You guessed it, cut it up and did raw edge applique, used 2 colors for the border, added a spider web printed flange to the dark purple border. I liked it, but decided to add a little something. I turned it over and in each blank space where I had a small picture, I quilted a spiderweb to decorate the back side. I love it now. [ATTACH=CONFIG]438917[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]438918[/ATTACH]

Once again went searching through fabric donation from my group called Touching Little Lives and found some precut flannel squares. Found some flannel leftover from grand daughter pj's for backing and here we have flannel quilts with flannel for batting. Fun and easy, cause they were all precut. Thanks ladies for the donations.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]438922[/ATTACH]

I had some small panels (also donated). Not large enough for a crib blanket, but we make blankets for preemies, so I added borders til this was big enough for a wee one. And managed to get two more quilts out of the panel. 1 panel, 3 small quilts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]438923[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]438924[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]438935[/ATTACH]

Still recuperating, still sewing. Take 1 fat quarter, add sashing and borders and you have another 24 inch quilt. Perfect for some little ones.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]438937[/ATTACH]

This one is special because my 10 year old granddaughter designed it. She went through all my donated squares and pulled this one together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]438940[/ATTACH]

Hope you enjoyed seeing my fun little quilts as much as I enjoyed making them. I get to practice my free motion quilting while making something useful and practical and pretty. And it certainly has speeded my recovery.

Attached Thumbnails tll-quilts-012qb.jpg   tll-quilts-015qb.jpg   tll-hats-afghans-001qb.jpg   tll-quilts-001qb.jpg   tll-quilts-009qb.jpg  

tll-quilts-008qb.jpg   tll-quilts-016qb.jpg   tll-quilts-021qb.jpg   tll-quilts-010qb.jpg   tll-quilts-011qb.jpg  

Last edited by CharlotteO; 09-30-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 AM

Sorry, I got a duplicate picture at the bottom, but couldn't remove it.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

well you did a very nice job they are all great!!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Wonderful work!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 AM

They are all so cute!! You got a lot done!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Well you've been busier than me. Don't mind seeing a project twice. great crochets and quilts.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Busy as a Bee!!
What a productive time you have had while recovering.

The spider webs are so seasonal right now .... do you have a link to show how to FMQ the web? Or perhaps could you explain? It looks like you did it as a continuous line, but I can't figure out the pattern.
Please? and Thanks!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 AM

You got a lot of beautiful work done on your rest time. It is always good to stay busy and make the time pass faster. Before I had my knee done I cut out and got everything set up so I could work setting down. I did not get as much done as you but it helped me get through it.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:30 AM

I just looked at Leah Days spider web design, and took off. Did the straight lines from a corner, did one line, went down the side to the center of the side, went across, went to next corner, went diagonally to the next corner, then to the center of the next line
to be clearer try this. Start upper left, diagonally to lower right, go half way straight up, go left to far left side, go down to point even with diagonal line, go right half way, then up to point even with first diagonal line, right from half way point to corner, then finish last diagonal line right to left. This won’t enclose the whole square, go back and do the outer lines if you want them.
Then go back and do the loops from line to line. If you have a large square to put a spider web in, you might want more straight lines, then put curved lines to imitate spider web. Practice a little before trying this. Follow the directions on paper to figure them out first.
Or google spider web free motion quilting and see if you can find a video.
Honestly, I just looked at the picture and took off with the sewing machine. Good luck
Old 09-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

You certainly have been busy. I recently watched a news story about a hospital that send all their babies home with a purple knitted or crocheted hat. It is an initiative to promote awareness of the danger of shaken baby syndrome. There is much darkness in the world but there are still good people lighting up the darkness. Kudos to you for being a shining star.