Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Straight side toilet

Straight side toilet

I would like to hear from anyone that has put in a straight sided toilet. It looks like they would be easy to clean but I am hesitant because there aren't many to choose from. I really want one but I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.
    Marilyn

Blog Entries
    do you mean where most are rounded this is straight?
    where would you find a seat for it? I have a handicapped
    toilet, but it looks normal and takes a normal seat. i guess
    if it looks easy, it whould be. have any pictures of one?
    I'll see if i can find one on google.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-16-2017 at 03:40 AM. Reason: remove membership comments comment
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    i googled straight sided toilet. what came up was a tank with stright sides.
    why should this be any different than a rounded one. the rounded one is only
    slightly rounded. i can't see any difference between them. UNLESS of course you
    are talking about something else than what was shown on google.
    I would ask a salesman about it if you're not totally comfortable with it.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

We have two of them. American Standard. My son has 4 in his house. They are fine and flush well and are easy to clean and are sleek sided. Of course if this isn't for you there are many other choices.
    Alyce

My daughter has one from American Standard and loved the first one so much they got another for their basement bathroom. The inside of the bowl is also easy clean. I'm just waiting for a sale so I can get one too!

Blog Entries
    As long as the seat is standard sized it would be great.

I googled it and found this review -- sounds like a winner:

http://victoriaelizabethbarnes.com/t...ealed-trapway/
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Thank you all. Lynnie, the sides that run from the bowl to the floor are straight sides so they seem to be much easier to clean. American Standard only has 2to pick from and the rest are all the regular. I really really like them. Guess maybe I will take a chance.
    Marilyn

Banned
    Pretty danged costly for a pooper.

Huh....learn something new everyday.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post

this is the one we have. Comfort height (we had a discussion on comfort height here and not for everyone) - we like these toilets. They use a standard size seat
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post

Thanks for the link. I am really intrigued and love how it looks. I hate cleaning the outside of the toilet and this looks like it would be so much easier.

Banned
    I just use the sponge mop to clean the outside of mine, just before mopping the floor. Pretty easy.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing how this would be any easier/harder to clean than any other toilet - inside or outside. Am I missing something? Frankly it looks like more surface area to clean than a normal toilet! Again, am I missing something?? There is still a rounded bowl so how does that change anything?? Apologies if I'm being dense.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm not seeing how this would be any easier/harder to clean than any other toilet - inside or outside. Am I missing something? Frankly it looks like more surface area to clean than a normal toilet! Again, am I missing something?? There is still a rounded bowl so how does that change anything?? Apologies if I'm being dense.
    Since I have these toilets speaking for myself the outside is definitely easier to clean. A smooth flat surface just seems to be easier than going around the indentations. Maybe it's just me.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    now i get it , 'no indentations'. I have them in my house too! comfort height, worth every penny for them. I noticed how great it was when i had my knee replaced. it's about 2" higher, and worth the 2" as you get older.

I also found the straight-edge side toilets to be superior to those with the snake-like ridges, especially appearance wise. I had located great prices for Kohler models at one of the home improvement box stores.

Those look really neat and no hassling with cleaning that bottom part which catches dust. Over the long run I think the cost is well worth it.

Who knew there was a new style toilet?
    Patrice S

I love mine. No standing on my had to clean dust and crud around the toilet. Just vacuum and mop and it is clean!��

Blog Entries
    I had to get a new one a couple months ago. Mine is by American Standards, it has settings inside to adjust the water amount, I have it set to use the least amount and its great. The other thing I noticed and I don't know if its because its also chair height, which I love with my back issues is that I don't have to clean the bowl as much. Its more straight up and down inside than the circular ones where the water rings are. I got it at one of the popular home improvement stores and it was under 100. I had been looking at the one where you push one button for liquids and one for solids (if you know what I mean) but the sales man said they don't work that great and then I started thinking, with my grandkids, how am I going to get them to push the right button, they are side by side on the back of the toilet lid. Plus if you ever have to replace the insides, it cost more for the parts. I made a great choice and it didn't cost me a fortune.
    Judy