Stumped by a project

Old 11-30-2017, 05:11 AM

Default Stumped by a project

Someone gave me an apron panel called "From the Chateau" The instructions are printed on it and I have it cut out and ready to go. There is also a lining fabric with it, however there are no instructions that allude to that part of it. Has anyone else made this? Wondering if I am overthinking this. I have never made an apron before so am not sure. Are there two parts, a lining and the panel or just one which would be the panel? It is by Wilmington Prints. I have an email out to them but would like to start on it right away.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:31 AM

What do the directions say about finishing the edges of the apron? Are they supposed to be hemmed? Is the 'lining fabric' just a solid piece or does it have the outline of the apron on it too? Is the 'lining fabric' plain or does it have a similar print on it? Is it possible the 'lining fabric' is for co-ordinating place mats?

If the 'lining fabric' is plain, considering the curves on the sides of the apron, I would make the ties and attach, then cut the lining to match the apron, with right sides together, sew all the way around leaving a small opening--probably on one side--turn right side out, press, and perhaps do a decorative stitch all the way along the edge.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Ginger. Cut the lining to match the apron, prepare the ties and pin or baste in place. Sew all the way around the apron leaving an opening. I'm guessing a half inch seam. Be sure to catch the ties in the stitching. Clip the fabric on the curves every half inch or so, but be careful not to nick your machine stitching. then turn. hand or machine stitch the opening.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:02 AM

Thank you! Sometimes I read and reread instructions and still cant get it. I had hubby read it just to make sure I wasnt missing something about the lining and he couldnt see it either.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:54 AM

Not sure what type of apron you are making, but the same technique could be used for both if lined. Sew them together (like a pillowcase) leaving the edges open that would have binding or a waistband. Example - is just a 1/2 apron, I would sew the sides and bottom together, turn it and add the waistband to the waist area. If a full apron, I would sew the sides, bottom and top edge, turn it and use binding as ties, continue up the chest area side, around the neck band, down the other chest side and out as the other tie. This keeps all the edges clean and requires no hemming. If adding pockets or embellishments, I would do it thru the panel and the lining to further hold them together (as quilting would). Please post a pic when you finish so we can see what you choose to do.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

This happened to me on printed apron panel---never did figure out how to attach the flounce--finally just did it my way--DD was very pleased with it. Good Luck with your project.