Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Subject lines---would anyone else find them to be more helpful if they were longer such as the one I'm posting now?  I'm continuing to type here in the subject line just to give us all a feel for how much room we have on a title line for a new topic. >

Subject lines---would anyone else find them to be more helpful if they were longer such as the one I'm posting now? I'm continuing to type here in the subject line just to give us all a feel for how much room we have on a title line for a new topic.

Subject lines---would anyone else find them to be more helpful if they were longer such as the one I'm posting now? I'm continuing to type here in the subject line just to give us all a feel for how much room we have on a title line for a new topic.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Summarizing (with comment) suggestions so far in this topic:

1. Subject lines need not be long in order to be descriptive.

2. Vague subject lines mean that a thread will likely be left out of the results if somebody searches for information already posted before asking their question.

3. It's best to check for existing information before asking a question. however, we must be fair to those who've asked again about somethng already discussed several times. a search doesn't always help because .... drumroll .... related topics with vague subjects lines won't show up in the results.

4. Somebody suggested a drop-down list to assist with titles. My guess is that it wouldn't solve the problem. In order to be useful, the list would have to be at least a mile long. A significant number of users would either not notice it, skip it, or use it inaccurately. However, i'll add it to my list of things to discuss with the techies at some time in the future.

i also cannot resist pointing out a hilarious irony. the subject of subject lines and questions being asked repeatedly has been brought up many, many times already. in fact, it's been coming up since the board was born. search, anyone? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Hi Sadie....not sure i understand about the part where you mention "It won't list any that you don't have marked as subscribe, so if you never read "personal diaries" for example and you haven't subrscribed to them
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by huntannette
Ha ha ha...i never noticed there was a Unread Topics "section!!!
Yes, and there are so many pictures being posted that I would like to know what the picture is before I go there. I used to open every topic in Unread Topics, but I really need to get some things done.
Unread topics is my favorite, because it shows the latest topics posted in each sections that you have subscibed to on the home page. It won't list any that you don't have marked as subscribe, so if you never read "personal diaries" for example and you haven't subrscribed to them--they won't be in your unread topics.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:25 PM

Oh I get it...went investigating...lol ty
Hi Sadie....not sure i understand about the part where you mention "It won't list any that you don't have marked as subscribe, so if you never read "personal diaries" for example and you haven't subrscribed to them
Ha ha ha...i never noticed there was a Unread Topics "section!!!
Yes, and there are so many pictures being posted that I would like to know what the picture is before I go there. I used to open every topic in Unread Topics, but I really need to get some things done.
Unread topics is my favorite, because it shows the latest topics posted in each sections that you have subscibed to on the home page. It won't list any that you don't have marked as subscribe, so if you never read "personal diaries" for example and you haven't subrscribed to them--they won't be in your unread topics.