Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for buying a new mattress

In the last 6 months I've had 3 different king size Serta mattresses...2 Trump and 1 Vera Lang. Both of these developed sunken spots in a very short time. My husband and I are not large people. I weigh 110 and my husband, 130. I'm now searching for a mattress again and am so confused at all the reviews I see online. I looked at a memory foam mattress today, but when I read the pros and cons, I don't think this one is for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality mattress, especially if anyone has purchased a mattress recently. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sleep number bed. I have never slept so good as I do now, I never have aches or pains when I get up. Can adjust each side to your preference.

I always recommend a Sleep Number or a Memory foam.

BTW, the Vera Lang's had problems. I had two patients that the company actually replaced them under warranty. Bummed me out because their back pain went away and I didnt make any more money....only kidding!

My daughter got hers from Denver Mattress about 4 years ago and has been extremely pleased with it. Not unduly expensive and excellent quality. You can go to their website www.denvermattress.com for info on a location near you.

a regular here
    We bought a Temperpedic abour 5 years ago, and love it.

Sleep number bed. It's the best. Some models start at very reasonable prices. Check them out online first. In store they try to sell top-of-the-line first, so better to have an idea what you want.

Blog Entries
    Restonic! I purchased a firm one and it is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by S D G
    We bought a Temperpedic abour 5 years ago, and love it.
    Do you have any problems feeling really warm due to heat buildup and also any problems getting out of the bed? I read online that some have a feeling of being gripped by the foam and not being able to move to get out or turn over, etc. Is it comfortable when just sitting on the bed? That was another complaint.

Blog Entries
    Sleep number bed. I have spinal stenosis two bone spurs very painful when sleeping. My sleep number bed has saved my sanity. I get a good nights sleep,every night.

I have a homemade mattress made of an extra firm 6 inch foam slab and a 2 inch memory foam topper. It is so comfortable. I just got tired of paying huge bucks for a mattress. My hubby and I are average people and we've never had a problem in the 12 years we've had this set up.:):)

You might want to take a look at how your bed is made before you buy another mattress. It doesn't sound like the bed frame is supporting the mattress. So regardless of what kind of mattress you buy it is going to start sagging again due to lack of support. Even poor quality new mattresses should last longer than a month or two. Anyways just a thought. :)

Sleep number!! My husbnd and I are average sized. He wiggles and snores and gets hot. I just die but have neck and back pain and migraines. Since we got our sleep number 4 years ago it has been HEAVEN! He has his side firm, mine is softer. I don't feel him twitching and wiggling and neither one of us snores as much. It has helped my problems tremendously. And they are cheaper than temperpedic from what I've heard.

Memory foam here although the guys who picked up the first one in less than a year called it "garbage foam" because that is where they haul the returns I guess :-( This one is still OK at nearly 3 years old.

We love sleeping on it and our backs are happier than on the old regular mattress. It's not really good for sitting on but you are not really supposed to sit on any of them.

I get hot so much that I just say my thermostat is broken but I have been fine with memory foam and we use latex foam pillows which I love. I don't think it is really makes me any hotter.

There is a big difference in how it feels at different temps though. But when it is really hot or really cold out the HVAC is doing it's job inside :-)

I had a really bad back & bought the sleep number bed. I absolutely love it!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    You might want to take a look at how your bed is made before you buy another mattress. It doesn't sound like the bed frame is supporting the mattress. So regardless of what kind of mattress you buy it is going to start sagging again due to lack of support. Even poor quality new mattresses should last longer than a month or two. Anyways just a thought. :)
    That is what i was thinking. Either the box spring isn't cutting it or the frame doesn't support the box spring. Might be worth looking into.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I have had the sleep number bed since it first came out on recommendation of my chiropracter. Best money I ever spent. There was no adjustment period, slept thru the night the very first night. And I have had less headaches since then as well. What I would really really want now is the adjustable head and feet one but just can't justify $6,000.00. Good thing about both sleep # and tempurpedic is you have either 60 or 90 day return policy if you do not like them.

Blog Entries
    we have the comfort select air mattresses. my side seems to go down more than my hubby's side for some reason. and my side of the electric blanket quit working, ,,
    i used to have my side on 45 but am up to 95 now. my back demands it firmer.

Blog Entries
    I spend over $1200.oo for a new mattress and box spring. In less then 2 month I could feel the mattress sinking. I had the same bed for over 30 years. I never had any problems with the other matress on that bed I had brought a Setra. My co worker recently brought an another brand and had the same problem in 6 weeks. Now mattresses are only one side and can not be flip to the other side. They don't made mattress like they use to. It is the mattress and not the bed.

Blog Entries
    SLEEP NUMBER....I can't say it loud enough! LOL

We have a Temper Pedic. It raises and lowers foot or head or both. My DH is 6'5" and I'm 5'4" we have a queen and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    We tried the Sleep Number bed but my dh couldn't tolerate it (don't ask me why; I liked it!).

If you want a mattress that doesn't sink in the middle, avoid pillow tops. The pillow tops are notorious for that.

The best mattress and box spring set we ever purchased was a Stearns & Foster brand, near their top-of-the-line but not quite (the t-o-l was a pillowtop). All of the mattress companies change their mattress names periodically, even if they don't actually change the mattress. The one I liked had one side for winter and one for summer -- different fabrics -- and no pillowtop.

As others have mentioned, the box spring can make a huge difference.

One thing I will never do again is buy an overly thick mattress (current one is a pillowtop; dh insisted......). *Everything* becomes more expensive -- mattress cover, sheets -- because they all have to have the extra thick sides. And that type of sheet set rarely goes on sale and, when it does, isn't in any color I want.

We have a temperpedic bed. What a difference!!

I have a tempur-pedic and LOVE it! I suffer from lower back pain (herniated discs) and it helps me so much. We just got the basic model, no bells and whistles. It is quite expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CloverPatch
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    That is what i was thinking. Either the box spring isn't cutting it or the frame doesn't support the box spring. Might be worth looking into.
    No, the bed frame isn't the problem. When I bought the Serta "Trump" mattress and matching box spring last year, I also purchased a Sleigh bed made by Better Homes and Gardens...a really solid bed. The furniture store sent a Serta Rep out who measured the dip in the mattress and it was well over the 1 1/2" measurement they use to determine if it qualifies as being defective and is covered under the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by dflynn
    I spend over $1200.oo for a new mattress and box spring. In less then 2 month I could feel the mattress sinking. I had the same bed for over 30 years. I never had any problems with the other matress on that bed I had brought a Setra. My co worker recently brought an another brand and had the same problem in 6 weeks. Now mattresses are only one side and can not be flip to the other side. They don't made mattress like they use to. It is the mattress and not the bed.
    This is exactly what happened to mine. You're correct, it is the mattress and not the bed. I did a lot of research when I noticed the mattress beginning to sink almost immediately and found that people are having the same "sinking" problems with all brands of mattresses. My old bed of about 7 years is a queen size Simmons Beautyrest and that bed was moved into a guest bedroom and is still in perfect condition. We wanted a king size bed and that's the reason we bought a new one. I've had 3 different sets since last summer and am now looking for a new set...I hope I get a good one this time.
    Thanks everyone for all your advice...I really appreciate it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast