Summer Gardening

Old 06-26-2018, 10:53 AM

Aside from the fact that I can kill any plant I touch, it is just not possible (unless you can afford the extra money for water) to raise a garden. It is too hot and windy here. Temps during the summer are rarely below 100 and the soil is not friendly (very alkaline). Even a house plant by a western window will fry. I don't do outdoors until after sunset. Makes for more quilting time - there are advantages to living in the desert.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:31 PM

I have a vegetable garden that is doing okay, except that the rabbits have eaten half my butterbean plants and most of the garlic never sprouted. Tomatoes, miniature pumpkins, butternut squash are thriving; potatoes and onions are doing pretty well. The whole thing is overrun with weeds, and I think that, come fall, I'm going to borrow a tiller and rip everything up and cover it with a weed barrier. I've got a perennial bed that is perennially under construction, and a combination herb and flower bed with dill, lavender, lots of cilantro, chives, sage, rosemary, lemon thyme, sunflowers that sprang up from spilled birdseed, zinnias, lantana, and a couple of roses. Down by the mailbox, which is hot and dry, I have really hardy things like daylilies, coneflowers, perennial salvia, and a butterfly bush.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:56 PM

I have had a vegetable garden (5000 sq ft) my whole married life (42 yrs). When we bought our last home (32 yrs ago) we started planting fruit trees (apple, plum, cherry, pear) and all manner of perennial berries, asparagus, & strawberries. Now with the kids grown, I can plant fewer tomatoes, lettuce, corn, beans, potatoes, broccoli and squash . But I have given up canning my years supply, and I eat what is available. This is the first year I did not grow cantaloupe and I am enjoying Kroger's 2 for $4. As the years pass, Kroger may grow more of my food. Glad to know other quilters love to garden.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:52 PM

I had a garden for 15 years in our present home. I loved it! Because of health issues, I had to run up the white flag. I absolutely love to garden, but had to give it up. I now have only a few flowers and that is all I can keep up with.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:59 PM

Hi, Wannabe. My report is just the opposite! I simply cannot grow roses here in my hard red clay! Even when I lived in Florida, I could grow roses, which I love. We have had such cold winters lately that my few roses froze below the graft, so I am back to wild rose roots.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

You will all think I'm crazy but I love to weed! I just love cleaning things up outside. It's very relaxing for me.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:35 PM

I like to weed too. YOu can see your work. I had to cover my rhubarb baby shoot today because it is getting too much sun. Does anyone know if it can grow just from roots if the stalks die?
Old 06-27-2018, 03:37 PM

5000 sq ft. I am impressed! I have mainly a flower garden with raised beds for veggies. We will see how it goes. I didn't know tomatoes could get too much sun. Some are a little wilted at the top of the plant although keeping watered but they do get a lot of sun. Can't wait until they mature. I am seeing fruit already.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Our season is short here in the Adirondacks, so I start with plants not seeds. Since we are in the home of deer, chipmunks and squirrels, not to mention bears, I plant in planters on the camp deck. DH says he should just cover the deck with plastic and cover it with soil! So far I have herbs, swiss chard, kale, cucumbers, spinach and three tubs of lettuce and one tomato plant I am babysitting for a neighbor till she can get here . Oh and just for fun I put two buckets on the ground with onions and potatoes.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:40 PM

My husband built me two raised veggie gardens. One is 3 by 6 and the other is 2 by 4. I just love them. I also have 2 herb gardens and my flower garden. I also have lots of plants in big pots