Summer Gardening

Old 06-24-2018, 10:52 PM

Default Summer Gardening

Is there anyone here who has a full flower garden and a veggie garden? Tomatoes?

I know that I will be spending a lot of time trying to keep up this year. Also, being out there and seeing the insects and birds is a great time of enjoying the outdoors so I am looking forward to it. It is hard though when you see one more weed.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of perennials. My husband usually has a vegetable garden but we had a lot of work done outside this year so he didn't.
My lavender plants aren't blooming much this year. We had a cold Spring and a lot of rain.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:35 AM

I have a huge flower garden full of roses and perennials. My purple coneflowers are as tall as my shoulders this year but the roses are struggling. I wish I could grow tomatoes but have had no luck.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:14 AM

I love to garden although the older I get the harder it is but I don't want to give it up yet. I have a flower garden full of weeds and flowers too. The vegetables are more weed free right now but by the end of summer will probably be over run with weeds. The tomatoes and cucumbers I have moved to pots close to the house since our summers are not always warm enough to produce a good crop. The warmth from the house adds a lot to help them grow good. My garden must (which it is) be in a fence because of the deer. Guess as long as I can move I will have a garden, I love being out side, watching it grow, and eating the produce. Flowers add so much color where ever you plant them and just make me smile. Love gardening and sewing.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:37 AM

In Casper Wyoming this year they are losing most of their trees. The temperature dropped from the 7o's to below freezing very quickly. Most of the trees had their leaves and flowering and then it froze. Apparently with the sap in them it affected them too much and they are dying. We have had a problem here in Oklahoma I have noticed with the red bud trees. We had a similar situation here. The red bud leaves turn yellow on trees. I wonder if it will kill the trees.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:40 AM

My garden fell into disarray when my marriage ended. But I have kept my back deck filled with pots and exotic plants. At least I can enjoy that. And tomatoes love the heat there.

I used to have hundreds of bulbs and this fall will plant more of those again. Over the winter I will plan for new perennials and perhaps another fruit tree or two.

Now that the house is mine, I feel like putting an effort into the yard is worth while.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:17 AM

Yes, I have 8 raised beds for my blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. Then a full garden for the squash, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and onions. I usually have green beans out there too but have a full freezer so didn't bother planting this year. My strawberries are just about done for the season but my tomatoes and zucchini will be giving me produce soon. My raspberries and blackberries will start ripening in August so that will be a daily picking as well as the tomatoes will be in full swing too.

Then there are the flower beds all around my house as well as behind my rear garage and along the fence line plus around 2 trees out near the street. I try to keep the dead heads trimmed and the weeds pulled. I usually go out early in the morning and check everything to see if I need to pull/dig weeds, cut dead heads and of course mowing and edging the lawn weekly. I love being outdoors when I can, then I feel good about coming inside to sewing/quilt or whatever is on my agenda for that day.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 AM

Susie, I have lots of perennials too but they still need deadheading and care. I like them blooming in waves. Right now I have lilies, daisies and butterfly bush. Hydrangeas are thinking about it...

WQ. I wish my roses were doing well, sigh. MOved in and they were neglected. Hoping I can keep them going and next year will be nice. Jealous about your cone flowers. I love them. Hope to get some in for next year.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:47 AM

RZ I agree. I am hoping my garden will keep me active for a while. I do get nervous about keeping this all up in ten years but that really is a long time away. Also, I can figure it out if it is important to me.

I have tomatoes in the sun. New to this house so we will see how well they do.

Today I was pulling grass out of the flower beds on the side of house. Neglected due to being empty. HOpe to get all that grass. Sigh
Old 06-25-2018, 09:48 AM

GmC, that sounds crazy to have extreme temps like that and yes, it would stress plants. I guess I need to be thankful for the summer heat we have and needing to water. At least the plants are growing.