Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Taming of the Shrew...er, Lovebird >

Taming of the Shrew...er, Lovebird

Taming of the Shrew...er, Lovebird

Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Anyone have hookbill experience? The local humane society does not take birds, and somehow someone got my name and dropped off a lovebird at my house a week ago. (A doorbell and dash situation.) Semi tame, likes to be near me but won't let me touch him. I cleaned the smokey cage, and purchased many toys which the little guy loves. I wish I could do more, but I am pooooooor right now. The cage is IMO too small. (My husband was a bit tiffed when I spent the grocery money on the bird toys, but the poor little guy didn't have any. This is important stuff! ha!) My toddler named him Oscar. (He's green, and grouchy. Fits just fine!) I have had hookbills in the past, but for the life of me can't figure out how to get this little goon to trust me. Any tips? He comes out while I sew, and hangs out with me either sitting on my chair or on the sewing machine, but not on me. I have faith that eventually with enough love he could become semi "cuddly."

Poor little Oscar. He is too cute!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Let him keep coming out to be with you, and talk to him/her. He will hopefully get friendlier as he gets more used to you. All birds need lots of stimulation to keep from getting bored. Getting him new toys will help keep him happy, and be sure to get him on a healthy diet (not just bird seeds). Please post pictures.