Tax Refund!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 AM

I had a side by side refrigerator and hated that I couldn't fit big items (like a cake on a tray, a pizza box, a party platter) in either side! Now I have a bottom freezer and that works out much better. Since we use the 'frig multiple times per day, as opposed to using the freezer once a day, it seems to make sense to me to have the 'frig at eye level.

About the bed...we bought a bed at a home show about 10 years ago (don't remember the brand), and we really enjoy it. It has 2 twin mattresses pushed together and has separate controls so I can sit up and read, or elevate my head to watch TV. It also has a massage vibrator in each mattress. We don't use this feature very often as it is noisy and makes me feel like I am on a rocking boat! The only drawback to this setup is that you need twin fitted sheets and a king top sheet, so buying sheets can be a problem as most often they come in sets now.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 AM

We've had our dual control Sleep number for about 9 months and love it! Only slight problem is that the mattress slips toward the foot of the bed so each day we have to scoot it up. It is lightweight though so really just an annoyance rather than a problem.

On the fridge--my opinion is that unless you also have a separate freezer, the side by side is the most convenient.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:13 AM

My husband owns a retail mattress store, and based on my experience there I have a couple bits of advice. First, don't buy based on a brand name. You're paying for advertising. Many less expensive brands are the same thing as the pricey ones. Try out every kind of mattress you can. Get as many opinions as you can from people you trust (guess you are doing that here, hunh?) Second, consider WHO you are buying from. Would you trust that person to make a problem right? No matter how great the line/brand is, sometimes you just get a lemon. You are, in my opinion, more likely to get better after-the-sale service from a local dealer, even if his/her showroom isn't as big and impressive as the chain stores. Many of the big stores also come and go quickly. A family-owned store that is part of the community and has been for many years is a better bet to be there when the mattress bites the dust five years before the warranty expires.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 AM

Go try the Temper-pedic, I love ours. You can not feel the other person moving around in the bed. Mine is guaranteed for twenty years. We have a king size.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:47 AM

Cannot figure why people wait so anxiously for their tax refunds, when they could just have less taken out of their wages (or whatever), put the savings in some kind of interest bearing account instead of letting the gov. use their money. Odd!!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:08 PM

We just bought new waterbed mattresses. Two years ago we paid a lot of money for a top of the line Sealy mattress and within three months it was forming what my husband calls - nests. Where our body weight is the heaviest, the mattress sank. We turned it around and head to bottom and all that happened were more "nests."

I had three back surgeries last year and this thing hurts me.

So the waterbed mattress has two sections for comfort control, lumbar support, and other features for the individual. Not to leave out, temperature control. Warm sheets in the winter and cool in the summer.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:44 PM

I haven't read this whole post but wanted to give you my 2cents worth. I love my bottom freezer/refrigerator!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:18 PM

We bought an LG refrigerator at Best Buy and love it! It has the freeze on the bottom and the double doors on top! L O V E it!! We had a side by side and never did like it! As for beds we have a Select Comfort and have put it in the guest room and bought a Beauty Rest. My husband has back pain and never did like the Select Comfort. Sleeps much better now.

By the way I LOVE getting a tax refund. Everyone is right that you don't get a return on your money, but I'm also not spending and it saves up. As for saving account paying you something, at this time in history it's hardly enough to worry with unless you have mega millions!

Last edited by tutt; 01-28-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:43 PM

I prefer freezer on top, i always had it that way, but now i have a side by side and do not like it, not much room even though it looks like there is a lot, my son and DIL have freezer on the bottom and i don't like it, you can't find anything, but i have an upright freezer that i keep in my garage, and love that, if you can afford it i think that is the way to go. I freeze a lot of dinners and i have plenty of room, when my kids were small i always had room for popsicles and such. Just my opinion. Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:38 PM

I love my bottom freezer -- DD has one too (different brand) and the icemaker was replaced 4 times under the service contract before it died completely (she got hers after I got mine). My fridge has only one door, my next one will probably have a split door on top, but definitely with a bottom freezer.

I have had a sleep number bed for about 12 years (in the guest room) and a select comfort (similar) for about 20. We have had to replace the motor on the select comfort, and the foam and one of the air mattress things over the years, but they never added up to the cost of a new bed. It has been about 10 years since we last replaced anything (knock on wood). DD got a sleep number -- she has bad arthritis in her hips and can't sleep on anything else.