Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teachers - a question about presents

Teachers - a question about presents

My daughter started kindergarten this year and I was thinking of giving her teacher and her teacher's aide a little gift for Christmas - some kind of homemade cookie or bread or something, and Mikali could help me make them. Does that sound like a good idea? And also, then I thought "And I can make a cute little fabric ornament of some kind to decorate the package!" because I've seen a lot of cute patterns recently.

Would the ornament be appreciated, or do teachers get too much of that kind of thing? If it would just be an extra piece of junk for them to take home, I'd rather not spend my time and effort making one.

Blog Entries
    I am making mug rugs for grandsons teachers.

My husband has worked as a elementary school janitor for years. Many (if not most) of the teachers give or throw away the gifts they get at Christmas. Cookies are shared usually and other gifts, if you are lucky will be around until the end of the school year before they go in the trash. If you want to give the teacher what is on her classroom wish list. Maybe tissues for all the runny noses, hand sanitizer, anything that will make their job a little easier seems to be most appreciated.

I'm a retired first grade teacher and I loved getting baked goodies at the holidays. It made my job at home so much easier with less baking.
    I still have the ornaments that the children gave me, especially the handmade ones. I can't really think of any child's gift that I didn't like. I remember the look on the children's faces when they brought in a little something special for their teacher. It's priceless!
    Avoid coffee cups is my only recommendation. Teachers get dozens of cups!!!
    Sew much fabric! Sew little time!

Blog Entries
    if you are looking for the practical... i see so often that teachers have to spend their own money for supplies for the kiddos. perhaps you can make one of those mug 'aprons' and load it up with pencils, markers, erasers, scissors, etc. As Yvonne says, they have lots of cups, so they can use one of those to put it in/over
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Well, I'm not going for "practical" so much as "appreciated", but I'm also going for "cheap" since there's a VERY big expense coming up in the near future for us, so I don't think I'll buy classroom supplies. I'm handmaking/baking EVERYONE'S presents this year, outside of my kids.

My Mom taught for many many years, she had a whole drawer of gifts she recieved that she then re-gifted. it was filled with hankies, avon stuff, stationary, candles , soaps in every shape/sent and other general purpose STUFF. The gifts that never made it into "that" drawer were , CHOCOLATE!!! often the box never made it home without being opened. I wonder now how many boxes never even made it home!!! She did receive a few exsquite handmade ornaments and to this day can tell me which student gave it them to her.
    She made handmade fudge that we gave to our teachers , everytime I gave one of my teachers the box , they would say, "I know what this is ".."I just love your Mom's fudge". I had 2 sisters that were in grades ahead of me so it became a known/legendary gift amoungst the teachers.

My MIL taught 3rd grade for 40 years. She told me not to give a Christmas ornament or a coffee mug to a teacher. She said she had boxes of them. She really did...we found them after she passed away. I made a table runner for my kids teachers. They loved it. Baked goods are a great idea too. Gift certificates for restarants or movie theaters are too. There are so many ideas.

Power Poster
    I always got a Tim Horton's gift card ( Canada's Starbucks)for the teacher at Christmas. They were always appreciated. Most teacher's love a cup of coffee from the drive through on the way to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I always got a Tim Horton's gift card ( Canada's Starbucks)for the teacher at Christmas. They were always appreciated. Most teacher's love a cup of coffee from the drive through on the way to work.
    LOL, well, we don't have anything like that in our small town. There's a convenience store, but I don't think they have gift cards.

Quote Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
    My MIL taught 3rd grade for 40 years. She told me not to give a Christmas ornament or a coffee mug to a teacher. She said she had boxes of them. She really did...we found them after she passed away. I made a table runner for my kids teachers. They loved it. Baked goods are a great idea too. Gift certificates for restarants or movie theaters are too. There are so many ideas.
    Don't think I'll do a tablerunner. I have a plan for one of those for myself (with some really cute Christmas fabric), but doubt I'll have time to get to it this year. But that's exactly what I was wondering, about the ornaments.

Somebody said fudge - now there's an idea. I always make fudge and caramels at Christmas, so maybe I'll set a portion of those aside.

I agree....I was a school teacher for 40 yrs and always loved to see how happy the children were to bring the teacher a little gift...it was always appreciated ....and in return I always gave them a little something...i agree...priceless!!!

I am a Middle/High school librarian and have taught 3 yr old Kindergarten to 11th grade English. I have a beautiful quilted ball, handmade wooden reindeer, a handmade Santa & an elf. They have been a part of our decorations at home for many years. My sons' teachers and now my grandson's teachers get baskets of homemade bread & cookies. These teachers have also always been my colleagues. Whomever has a Stevens boy at Christmasis always very happy with their gift. Handmade and homemade are always appreciated. Store bought ornaments and goodies-not so much. No scents, candles, mugs (unless it's a nice sealable insulated one) or knickknacks.

I can speak experience on this one (I have been a teacher). Teachers get inundated with anything that has an image of an apple. Mugs are in the attic, candles have been regifted, etc. You get the idea. Elementary teachers seem to be especially gifted by their students in this area. When my children were in school, I talked to the other parents from the classroom. We pooled the money that we would have spent on the teacher's gift and got one "giant" gift certificate from the closest "teacher supply heaven". For an elementary school teacher this might be a Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joann's, etc. This allowed the teacher to receive a far larger gift than any one of us could afford on our own (most parents donated around $5 but when you multiply that by 25...), the teacher was thrilled not to have to spend her own money on things for the classroom, and we still gifted a small plate of cookies.

Blog Entries
    I taught for 35 years and know how much a teacher spends to make her classroom learning environment special, a gift card from a group of parents would really be wonderful. Teachers also spend on their classroom library so a gift card to a bookstore is nice as well. The one gift that really cost nothing is a letter of appreciation for all the teacher has done to make your child love learning. Letters from the heart are memorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy View Post
    I can speak experience on this one (I have been a teacher). Teachers get inundated with anything that has an image of an apple. Mugs are in the attic, candles have been regifted, etc. You get the idea. Elementary teachers seem to be especially gifted by their students in this area. When my children were in school, I talked to the other parents from the classroom. We pooled the money that we would have spent on the teacher's gift and got one "giant" gift certificate from the closest "teacher supply heaven". For an elementary school teacher this might be a Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joann's, etc. This allowed the teacher to receive a far larger gift than any one of us could afford on our own (most parents donated around $5 but when you multiply that by 25...), the teacher was thrilled not to have to spend her own money on things for the classroom, and we still gifted a small plate of cookies.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

As a teacher, all gifts have been appreciated and I've decorated my tree with many special
    ornaments over the years. Home-make goodies were always great as teachers don't have
    much time to bake. A gift card to Tim Horton's or a group gift card to Scholastic, the bookstore or teacher supply store would also be wonderful.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Lab fairy, that was a wonderful idea to pool money from all of the parents. I agree, no mugs, my husband and I were both teachers and we had quite a collection of mugs. Homemade goodies are always appreciated. For many years I would put ornaments on my tree that reminded me of the student. (We have downsized tree this year)

My daughter does give gifts to the teachers (4 kids). Sometimes baked goods, small towels I had embroidered on one year, sometimes jar mixes. The best received were cake pops we made for teacher appreciation week. Not sure what she has in mind this year but there will be something for each teacher.

mltquilt

I was a special ed. teacher and rarely got gifts from students. I did receive homemade goodies from some parents and really appreciated them. I have always treasured handmade cards from students and even little notes. I have a collection of them.

Blog Entries
    My daughter teaches and I have never heard her complain abut anything she received.
    I am very proud of her. She is a special ed teacher who received the special ed award at a special awards dinner a few years ago. My husband and I were so fortunate to be able to attend the dinner and ceramony afterwards. The only thing she complains about is how difficult the govt is making it to teach. They spend more time on paperwork and less time on the children.

My daughter has been a 6th grade teacher for 7 years now. Currently she treasures the home-made ornaments from her students. (Mainly because she asked me to make some for her special teachers when she was that age.) She just put up her tree and has put them all on her tree. So how long has this teacher been teaching? I would say to stay away from coffee mugs, travel mugs because they have a lot on them. Wish list supplies are always greatly appreciated. One of the parents had an excess of office supplies because they were closing an office, so they donated legal sized photo copy paper, large envelopes, and various other items and the way the teachers reacted you would have thought it was Christmas morning.

I am a KDG teacher. I will say that, since I never have any time to bake during the month of Dec., I always appreciate the baked goods. Other fun items have been car wash tokens, holiday paper plates, cups, and napkins, chap sticks, items for my classroom like markers, pens, stickers, and I have every ornament children have given me over the years. I imagine mug rugs, etc. would be appreciated as well...just NO mugs! LOL

You're idea's are great and very thoughtful. I taught kindergarten and appreciate every gift I ever recieved. The ornaments were my favorite. I alway added the students name and date to them. made them ever more special to me

Laugh when i seen no mugs!!! Believe it or not I ended up right before I tired with 19 mugs. kept them all till recently. felt bad getting rid of them. BUT and shame on me gave them to my Grandchildren to give their teachers. they filled them with candy.

Have made corn bags, fleece scarfs, fleece hats with just the small hole to see, cool wrap thingy for runners or athletes for my kids teachers. They all loved them and often asked if I could make for friends or relatives. I also occasionally gave them to the lunch ladies and custodians. The head custodian would let me know when it was time for the fleece hat, since we get so much snow it was very appreciated.

Now that my youngest is in 10th and have a senior they "flip" if I want to send stuff in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast