Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: tearing fabric

My LQS rips and I on one hand appreciate having it straight on grain but I bought one quarter yard WOF it was a dark fabric and when it ripped it like pulled the bottom white threads and were visibile in about a half inch from the rip. I did end up needing more and when I went back i asked it to be cut and explained to her what happened.

Yes, it is true to the grain-line, but it also is true that you lose at least a quarter of an inch each end which is NOT so nice. One shop I frequent does that. It is the really old-fashioned way of cutting fabric. I prefer not to have mine ripped.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Blog Entries
    I refuse to buy fabric that is ripped
    and I say SOO if it appears that will happen.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Sometimes they will cut it for you if you tell them you prefer that. I actually prefer the ripping method because I'm assured that the piece will be on-grain. This is especially true with backing fabric for my long-arm, since, if it has been cut, I have to rip it anyway to be sure it is straight and I wind up losing fabric on each end in the straightening process. Often, fabric which has been cut is very off grain. I've started a tear barely past the cut on one side of 104" backing and had it grow to 4 or 5 inches on the other end.

I think it is ok to rip fabric if it is on the length wise grain as it is usually straight. If I rip width wise it rips with the grain, and then if not on the bolt straight, I get an edge which is at an angle. So in the fabric store I prefer a cut.

I always buy at least 1/8 to 1/4 yard extra cut then I bring it home and rip it to get the absolute straight of grain. I would rather lose 1/2 inch (1/4" each end) trimming after being ripped than sometimes about 1/4 yd. when it is cut and most people, even in quilt shops cannot cut a straight line without a ruler. However, in all of my local quilt shops, they do use a ruler when cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
    Yes, it is true to the grain-line, but it also is true that you lose at least a quarter of an inch each end which is NOT so nice. One shop I frequent does that. It is the really old-fashioned way of cutting fabric. I prefer not to have mine ripped.
    I have most always lost more than half an inch of fabric on ANY piece I have purchased when they cut it because it seems like when meeting the salvages after prewashing, there is that 'buckle' in the fold, which usually means it's not even, so end up sometimes losing an INCH and a half. None of our LQS tear the fabric and rather than 'ruffle their feathers' by asking to tear, I most usually buy more fabric than I need anyway (gotta have that stash!). We all have our own ways of doing things to make life interesting.

I do like it ripped. The loss from distortion is minimal compared to some that has been cut so off grain I loose more inches than if they had just ripped it.

I like extra wide backings torn because I know then I will get the yardage I asked for. I have lost as much as 1/4 yard when they cut the but I like to have 45" fabric cut with rotary cutter or even scissors. since we all straighten with a rotary cutter, even when Ii prewash, I don't lose as much fabric. There is only one shop I have been to that tears and when i asked her to please cut the answer was "We don't do that" When I pointed out haw badly the threads along the edge had been pulled and how much I was losing she said I should just by extra fabric to compensate. I never went back to that store.

tearing fabric flips me out. I do not like it----at all. When we were little, I remember mom ripping old shirts and towels for wash rags but I had never seen new fabric torn until I was an adult. If someone tore my fabric that I was buying, I'd turn around and walk away without purchasing anything.
    OVER THE RAINBOW JANE is the name of my Dear Baby Jane----though it should be poor, neglected & may never ever be finished baby jane!
    http://retrofabulous-retro.blogspot.com

I HATE it!

Blog Entries
    Nuh uh. Don't rip mine. Cut it please. I know all about straight grain, etc., but want mine cut, thanks!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I prefer to have my material cut. I find that when it is ripped it might be straight on the grain but you lose so much fabric. I also find that Quilt Stores that rip their fabric are very linty and dusty.

Blog Entries
    luckily no one has torn my fabric yet. better not either!!!

My LQS rips. Most other places cut. I always straighten my fabric after I wash it, so I don't think I have preference one way or the other.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Don't get me started on raveling! I am making a quilt for my granddaughter that uses 3 fabrics. Two are from Walmart; one is from the LQS. I bought the 2 from WM on sale for about $2/yard, paid $10+/yard for the LQS fabric. Guess which one ravels to the point of being almost useless?

Yup. The pricey one. I am now thinning some elmers glue and coating the cut edges of the pricey fabric so that I an use it without it raveling. (I know there are products that can be used to lessen fraying, but I have allergies that are irritated by any spray products and scents. Using elmers washable glue is tedious, but doesn't make me feel sick, so that's what I use.)

Have to say that I have purchased 'cut' fabric that was cut on such an angle that I've losts 6" of useable fabric. Now I check it before I leave the store.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I don't think anybody mentioned this but... it's not that the stores can't cut straight - rather that the fabric is stretched off-grain during the process of wrapping it on the bolt. And often it's just on one side of the fold that it gets tugged out-of-shape, and the other side is just fine. I have no idea why it happens that way.

Wow...another example of learning something new everytime I come here! Didn't realize there were such divided camps between cutting/ripping. I've only had fabric ripped once, and I hated it...it distorted the fabric, and it ripped at a funny angle. My local Joanns cuts, and they're always very generous as to their measurements. At Mill End she ripped for the customer before me, but cut my fabric.

QKO
    Nan is right - we as shop owners get such atrocious wraps from the distributors that it's not anywhere near funny. We try to straighten, give extra inches, etc, but sometimes it's just a losing proposition.

It all goes back to the work ethic and care taken by the people who are doing the bolting. Oftentimes that's sorely lacking...

When I purchased fabric -in her tent at the park--in Paducah, Ky, all of Eleanor Burns clerks were tearing the yardage from the bolts. I think it is fine. However you like it is fine.........either way.

I also like my fabric cut. I went to a warehouse like place a month ago and they tear there orders, except I bought some fleese and they cut that. Real nice fleese for 3.99 Yd
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

There used to be a shop near us that did that. Sis and I asked them to cut it and they very nicely did.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Only want it cut! Won't take it if they rip it.

Nan
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2