Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tell Me - Your First Pet

Tell Me - Your First Pet

How old were you?

Kitten, puppy, or other?

Was it a boy or girl?

What did you name it?

I was 6, and it was a beagle puppy. I named him Rover. I've had dogs and cats most of my life. I loved them all, but little Rover was the first thing I had that needed my care.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

My first pet was a turtle... can’t for the life of me remember his name. I called him a him for all I know it could have been a she. Lol
    "I may not believe in what you say but will defend your right to say it"- Voltaire

I remember a black puppy and he lived out his life with us, but before he came we had a horse and I rode her many years. A very nice horse who lived to be old.

Awww how sweet! I was around 5 or 6. He was a brown dog that I wanted to call Brownie, but my dad ended up calling him Rusty. Looking back, my father probably had a dog growing up named Rusty. With my dad, it was always about him.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    oh my, when a child i had no idea how to play with the dog we had nor all the cats my Mother took in. when grown, Purscilla came to live with us about five years. she got run over way down the street where a speed bump had been removed. she was so sweet. gray tabby. Then Loki, orange tabby. he was with me 17 years. then Callie and her two girls. she was a calico and her girls Father was a Norwegian forest Cat. i still have the girls. their Mother, Callie, passed away from undiagnosed diabetes a few months ago. Purscilla was an outdoor cat. after that all were indoor. Loki learned to be out with my husband and wear a leash. then Callie did and one of her girls does but doesn't want to stay outside long. too much traffic noise here. I loved them all and they taught me how to show that love.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nativetexan; 11-21-2018 at 04:09 PM.

I grew up on a farm and was not encouraged to make any of the animals into a pet. We had cats and kittens, a dog (a few over the years) who was nevera pet and always ended up following my Dad around. The kittens took their chances with the cattle and I remember some not living to adulthood every year. Being the youngest, I think my Dad had to find me something to do in the barn. He decided I was great at teaching the baby calves to drink from a pail and that is a memory that I treasure. But again, they were not pets.

After Dh and I got married, we got a grey and white part Siamese kitten that we called Morris. He was such a character! He would make his way up to the top of the door frame and sit on that tiny ledge, waiting for someone to walk underneath. Then it was swat swat swat with his paw! We learned to check for that twitching grey tail hanging down. Poor baby was hit by a car before he was 2 years old.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

We always had dogs and cats but my most memorable was an African lion cub. My dad was zoo superintendent in Garden City, Ks. and “Tommy’s”mom rejected him. He was such a love. We had him about 9 months.
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

Mine was a stray cat. It gave me ringworm. Next we got a farm cat, he lived 18 years. Got married, a Siamese cat was our pet. Now we have a poodle and another Siamese.

My first was an exquisite gray and white long-haired kitten that wandered into our yard. I was probably 9 or 10. I didn't name it -- my mother took one look and said, "It's so cute, like a trinket on a charm bracelet." Trinket was with us until after I had graduated from college. I still remember the day my mother called to say the vet had put her down because whatever she had was incurable. A wonderful cat that began my love of all things feline.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

I had turtles when I was in 2nd grade I think. 6 total... all named Charlie and Sally from the Dick Van Dyke show.
    Then I had hamsters when I was in the 6th grade. Fast forward to present date... I have 3 girl fur babies. A maltipoo, malchi, and maltese. They are spoiled rotten!!!
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.

What a cute pic, Boston! I had those same bangs
    My first animal was a dog named Pete. I was about 10 when we got him. I think we had pets before him though, but he is the first I remember.
    I have a photo of my 2 dogs from childhood in a double frame on my dresser. My cat, Mookie keeps knocking it over! lol
    I'll take a pic of it and post to this thread.

PS. I "greatly disliked" cats until I met my husband. When we were first married he begged me to get one with the promise that if I didn't like it we'd get rid of it. That was about 12 -14 cats ago

Speaking of Pete- when my turtles, Yogi and Boo Boo died I buried them and he dug them up! I cried hysterically over that.
    Last edited by SusieQOH; 11-21-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    My first pet was a cat named Mr. Feiny (named after Mr. Feinberg). He roamed around a lot at night, and soon had kittens. Changed the cat's name to Mrs. Feiny.

I was young. Probably 5 or 6 and we got an adorable mixed breed dog (cocker/terrier). She was young (under a year) but not a puppy. She was sweetest thing ever. She was already named "Kookie" after the Edd Burns character in 77 Sunset Strip TV show.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I had a shelter dog, a Cocker mix of some sort. I named him "Jiggs". I was probably five or six years old. He wasn't around for very long for some reason. However, I continued to love dogs and after I got married have had lots of dogs. For a while, we raised puppies for an organization that supplied dogs for the blind. That was one of the highlights in life. We now have a 12 year old Lab Retriever who brings us much joy.

Mine was a duck that I won at a carnival when I was about 10 years old!!

Blog Entries
    I was 6 and my sister was 4 when my Dad brought home a yellow and white striped kitten that some one in his office had given him. My sister promptly named him "Fuzzy". We kept him with us while my Dad was transferred all over the western states for his work. He finally passed away my junior year of high school.

First pet was Boone, a 6# yorkie. He was my companion when DH worked nights. Boone would steal the milk-bones from the 138# mix without reservations.

It's not about the dog that is yours though but the one that steals your heart. Along comes Beau, Christmas Eve 2007. My husband and daughter (home from college) and thick as thieves saw him on a rescue site, visited with him, and brought him home.

Beau wasn't one of the pretty ones and I was doubtful at first. He was black and white like a big cow. But oh he was a charmer; all 101# of him. He became my buddy and is the one who stole my heart over the years. He would lay right next to me while sewing every day. I had to move him before I could move. LOL. Sadly,we lost Beau last month. Each day was a littler harder for him and finally he couldn't get up. The look in his eyes told us it was time. We sat on the floor together all afternoon and said our private good-byes. Beau is running with the squirrels now and his paw impression hangs in the sewing room.

Name:  Beau on fabric helping.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  73.2 KB
    Project Manager! I was making valances and he took over.

My first pet was a parrokeet named Danny. They got him the year I was born and we had him till I was about 12yo. We buried him in a shoebox in the backyard.......my brother and I. He was blue and we'd let him fly around the house but made sure we kept the doors closed and would look out for him in case he was close when we did open it. Never did have a pic of him.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    The first pet I remember was 60+ years ago. A beautiful collie named Poochie. I was about 4 yrs old. Poochie would walk my sister to school and go and pick her up in the afternoon. Such a loyal pet.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Ours was a mutt named Puddles, he got his name because every time he saw us he peed..lol

Then I got a dog from a mean old fisherman, he hit the dog which made me mad. So I took her home with me, her name was Misty, a white German Shepard.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I was about 5 when we got a black cocker spaniel we named Flip. He would let us bury him in a pile of leaves in the fall, then come bursting out when we called him.

First was a parakeet that I named "Dickie bird". Darn bird never did learn his name LOL Then dimestore turtles I named "Beaver and Lively". In the meantime Mom and Dad finally consented to a dog, a dashchund named "Fritz" when I was 8. That dog was loved with doll bonnets, rides, doctoring and walks. He even learned to sit up, though would often fall over backwards. I cried and cried when Mom called to say he had colon cancer and was put down my sophomore year of college. While DH and I were waiting for Army housing, our first together, we rescued a baby chipmunk from a cat and had "Stewie", named after Stewart Airforce Base. Stewie grew and regained his confidence and we sadly let him go back into the wild 2 weeks later. The same day we went to the pound and found the cutest Golden puppy. We adopted "Heidi". When she passed we saw a litter in the newspaper saying Golden puppies...........false advertising but definitely a draw LOL "Jodi" looked part Shepherd and part lab but smaller. She was a lovely dog, but not cuddly enough for me. She became our son's bed mate however, ha, ha, and took the pillow for herself. Finally found a Golden: "Molly", then "Kelsi" who died of a bowel obstruction at 16 mo. We were devastated and went back to the same breeder for another girl. She had a litter of 9, all boys. Well, after seeing a litter of puppies it wouldn't matter it they were purple, right? We chose not one, but two (my DH wanted one and our daughter wanted another) so Mom (me) agreed to both and "Jake and Riley" came to live with us for 13 + yrs.
    They cost us a fortune in medical bills at the Univ. of IL: terrible allergies, and Jake had a weird problem where his bladder and his brain didn't jive. That was luckily a quick pill fix, but took lots of testing and research into Journal articles for them to finally figure out. Finally nasal cancer that required surgery and radiation at the age of 11. He was such a character though and always happy, even throughout the treatment....almost a court jester personality and was the love of the clinic. Students would study for their finals in his cage until I could pick him up. Jake and Riley died within 17 days of ea. other, Riley first. We lived without dogs for a long 3.5 yrs. but had our daughters to love on. We finally got two more Goldens from a breeder and now have "Finley and Declan" who are 4.5 yrs. old. They are our most trained and follow my DH wherever he goes: in the yard or in the pool etc. We travel a lot as all three of our kids live a distance away, but luckily have fantastic house sitters. Next year we hope to get a small RV so the dogs can accompany us on many of our US trips.
    Name:  18199070_10107936602382020_8070558265273453621_n.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  86.6 KB

Blog Entries
    I had a dog names Lassie. she was a Golden Retriever, german shepherd mix. .

Blog Entries
    Name:  Ginger, Bo and Marcia.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  194.2 KBWe had a Cocker Spaniel that was one quarter Brittany. She is the one with the black nose. Dad took her to a place where there was a full Brittany and Ginger presented us with 6 pups. I was thrilled when Dad said I could pick out a male pup for my very own. Then he told me there was only one male and I didn't even get to pick it out. I named him Bo and he is the one with the pink nose. Best dog I ever had.

We lived on the edge of the wilderness in Modoc Co. Calif. The gubmint decided to poison the coyotes that roamed near our house and both these wonderful dogs got poisoned as well. Then since that didn't really curb the coyotes, they hired some airplanes and sharp shooters. The neighbor girl and I rode our horses out and came to a pile of dead coyotes, maybe a couple hundred of them, plus there were about a dozen Bobcats and three Mountain Lions. All shot and left in piles.

I have seen live Bobcats out there, but not a Mountain Lion. However, I think my horse smelled a Mountain Lion. She began to shake uncontrollably. The natural enemy of the Zebra is the Lion. When the Bobcat ran right in front of us, my horse was not the least bit afraid.

Sorry about the ramblings. I was probably in the 5th or 6th grade when that pic was taken.

Boston and Battle Axe, those pictures are classic! I just love the hair and clothes and vintage kitchen and, of course, the dogs

My very first pet was a white cat named Misty. I was probably 3 years old. I don't remember particularly caring for her (not that I didn't like her, but we never bonded). She would scratch my baby sister's face and eyes at times; the pediatrician told my mom she should choose between the cat and her baby's vision. You can guess her choice.

The first pet I loved was a sheltie named Lassie. I was 8. A year later she had 3 puppies, perfect for me and my 2 sisters. We each chose one. I chose the runt (since I was short and called runt) and named her Tot. Unfortunately, she died suddenly of an unknown cause at just 10 weeks old. (My mom witnessed her turn over and put her little paws straight up in the air and cried for about 10 seconds. My mom ran out to the dog pen, performed CPR on my puppy, but it was too late. Thankfully I was not at home at the time. Never did know what caused that--a heart attack? Aneurysm? We buried her in a shoebox in the backyard, funeral and everything.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast