Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-27-2011, 05:19 AM

Ok....my husband's paternal great grandfather, was a full-blood Italian, and a boot maker. He left his home in Tyler one day in the early 1900's, got on the train to meet up with a man to deliver a pair of boots he had made....and was never seen nor heard from again. No one can find a trace of him....spooky!!

And for me.....while not really an "ancestor" but can I brag about my Dad for a minute? He invented the Handball Glove, and was inducted into the Handball Hall of Fame in 1986...and that's my only "claim to fame!!"
Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 AM

My grandmother is the only human ever to contract Swine Earisyphillus (SP??). She turned purple (as purple as the girl in Willy Wonka).

She worked in a pharmacutcial labratory, giving the disease of the week to rats. One day, someone distracted her as she was giving the injection of this pig disease, and accidently shot herself.

So, off to the hospital they go. The veternarians were called, and she told them the treatment procedures they had tried, and together they got her back to normal - no longer purple! Too bad, my grandkids would have loved to see that.

She also worked on cancer treatment drugs. I have a pic of her in the lab, all those beaker tubes, holding a clipboard, in her lab coat. I love that pic.

And though I never saw her at work, it typifies to me what kind of woman she was, as she had to raise her 3 girls all alone when her husband died when Mom was just a year old. It was during WW1 and there really wasn't much for a single lady to do.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 AM

My father's grandfather is suppose to be the first lawyer in the state of Missouri. I have a picture of him in his civil war uniform. Very special to me.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by AprilG
Originally Posted by provbs 31
I have a mystery to put out there....in a town about 40 miles from where I live,lives a woman whom I have never met but for years people have told me about her. Apparently we look identical. A few years back I had a bi-lateral masectomy. Before I left the hospital the attending nurse commented on my twin sister who was on her floor 2 weeks ago, who also had a bi-lateral masectomy. I don't have ANY sisters! I wish I could find her.....sigh.
I, too, have a doppleganger. My friends back in Illinois still run into her every now and then and ask her when she got back "home". She has gotten used to it now. By the way, she is younger by 1 year and (I think) waaay prettier so I am quite flattered by my friends thinking she's me!
My husband had people always ask him the same type of thing, saying they had seen him in places he hadn't been etc.

Well, when his Dad died, we had the preacher mention the kids from the first family, who had been taken away from the parents, we knew their first names, and aproximate ages, but that was about it. We didn't know where they were, or what happened to them.

At the reception after the funeral, the preacher came up with a guy and said "I think you are going to want to meet this man". Turns out it was the half brother from the first marriage! He lived in a small town not too far away, and had seen the unusual first name, and came to the funeral curious to see if it was his father. When he heard his and his sister's names - he knew it was. He had not planned to introduce himself, but after hearing his name, he knew his father had not forgotten him.

He said that all his life, people had told him they saw him - when they didn't and seeing them side by side - it was easy to understand why.

The sister lived cross country, but was able to come visit once before she died. She and my hubby called each other, or wrote emails quite a bit.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:36 AM

My grandfather (the one who died and left my grandmother to turn purple) invented the two way spark plug which was purchased by Champion. It revolutionized how the spark plus worked.

His father invented tiltable operating tables.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:36 AM
Banned

hasn't this been THE most interesting thread??

and look how many of us might be related!

Tons of great reads...spread the word so we read some more!!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by provbs 31
I have a mystery to put out there....in a town about 40 miles from where I live,lives a woman whom I have never met but for years people have told me about her. Apparently we look identical. A few years back I had a bi-lateral masectomy. Before I left the hospital the attending nurse commented on my twin sister who was on her floor 2 weeks ago, who also had a bi-lateral masectomy. I don't have ANY sisters! I wish I could find her.....sigh.
Maybe you DO have a sister and just don't know it....
Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 AM

A man on my Father's side was knighted by Maxillian of Bavaria for his religous works in the 1600s. There is a
website with this info.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 AM

My 6 great uncle was Daniel Boone. I am a direct descendent from his sister, Mary, who married William Bryan. It was at their wedding that Daniel met Rebecca who later became his wife. That was on my mother's side. On my father's side I am a great niece of the famous Oscar Mayer from Chicago. In fact I knew him when I was a kid. My aunt said we go back to Bloody Mary, Queen of Scots, but I have no proof of that.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 AM

I have a great, great... uncle that fought at the Alamo and his name is on the wall there.