Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thank you to anyone who makes things for preemies-my new grandson benefited! >

Thank you to anyone who makes things for preemies-my new grandson benefited!

Thank you to anyone who makes things for preemies-my new grandson benefited!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Default Thank you to anyone who makes things for preemies-my new grandson benefited!

Thank you to anyone who donates something they make for preemies and newborns. My first Grandson made an early entrance into this world last Thursday nite. (by emergency C-section) We rushed to get there but were still two hours away when we got a picture of our new grandson wearing a tiny red knit cap. It was adorable. And YES he is healthy and was released from the NICU early this morning, after just three days . He is now in the room with his mom and dad! We had to leave for home last night once we knew mom and baby were both improving.
I was able to spend alot of time in the NICU cuddling and bonding with him. I got to see so many preemies and very ill newborns wearing the cutest knit or crocheted caps that people donated. I can't thank you enough. Sorry tears are running down my cheeks as I am trying to type this. He was born in a very large maternity hospital, in a brand new section of the hospital, in New York City, NY, USA. So unfortunately I saw so very many extremely tiny ill preemies, but those hats on the ones healthy enough to wear them showed that other people care. It means alot to the families of those babies. Over the years I have made and donated many different types of items to programs but never hats as I hate to knit or crochet. So THANK You to anyone who makes those hats-they help keep the babies warm and mean so very much to the families!

Kat
Old 09-02-2012, 01:28 PM

I'm really happy that your grandson is doing well. I work at a childrens hospital and we even have a group of ladies who makes these cotton bears for the little ones that have to get shots. My grandson always loved getting those bears even though he still hated the shots. He's 6 now and has them all and now his sister is getting them as she gets her shots and he still loves to see what she gets. Little things can mean so much. Enjoy your grandson; they are the greatest gifts of all. I tell my 5 kids all the time if I could have went straight to the grandchildern I would never have had kids. I love them all but its nice to enjoy all that the little ones have to give.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

so gl;ad your grandson is doing so well im involved with newborns in need in our area it is so rewarding.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Glad your grandson is doing ok.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 PM

I'm so glad to know your little DGD is doing better & is with his loving family now! Give him a big ol hug & kiss from me next time you see him!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:05 PM

So glad your GS is getting stronger. I have made dozens of "quilts" to use inside the layettes in the NICU in Hanover, NH. They are soft and give a bit of color in an emotional environment.

piney
Old 09-02-2012, 07:23 PM

I am glad your grandson is doing so well .I have been make preemie baby cloths foe about 13 or14 years with a grop called threads of love www.threadsoflove.org there are over 100 chapters
Old 09-03-2012, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

years ago, when i lived in s.florida, our knitting club used to donate to the local NICU. we had a challenge to make 1000 preemie hats, about 100 each. i made my 100, and then had to make almost 200 more for a couple of members who sustained injuries preventing them from knitting. our group got a great write up in the local paper. sure felt good to do a little bit of something for the little ones.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:31 AM

I have been knitting preemie hats for years to donate to local hospitals. Last Thanksgiving my niece had a set of very premature twins and when I arrived to see them they were wearing my hats! It made it all worthwhile. I can knit a hat in an evening, but they are so heartbreakingly small, it's hard to believe they will fit a baby or even be a little big. Best wishes to your own little miracle. My nieces babies spent three months in the hospital and still have a while to go before they catch up, but so far they are doing well.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:44 AM

I have made and delivered 1750 "Nebraska" knitted baby hats to our local hospital, plus a bunch to the cancer unit and the Goodfellows Shoe Fund. We have nearly had fights over the little red and white hats with the Nebraska "N" on them. It's been a good way to spend TV time!