Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem"

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I see no reason to downplay effort, time, or expense when someone not so dear has asked for a serious/major favor.
    There are a few reasons: humility, grace, social convention.

The only reason for expending "effort, time or expense when someone not so dear has asked for a serious/major favor" is when you are receiving a salary.

I deplore the use of "no problem," especially in a professional setting. My young bank representative says "no problem!" in response to my thanking her for her help. Store clerks say "no problem" when ringing up your purchases. It's mostly a young people thing, I think. I recently told a friend my age that we should offer to teach classes on proper responses. "No problem" would be weeded out, and "yes, ma'am" and "No, sir" and "thank you" would be reinforced.

Power Poster
    It did take a while for me to get used to the Southern convention of "Yes, Ma'am, No, Ma'am" - I kept looking around for the old lady they were talking to - and it was ME!!!!

Blog Entries
    Hi Bear! I think each expression has it's place. I use them all but mostly just thanks or thank you. I agree no problem should only be used when saying you had no problem doing what was asked.

I love how your brain works Miss Bear! LOL as always

as you know the evolution of words and phrases is an obsession of mine. I am amazed sometimes at the changes that have and continue to happen with our language.

I think for the most part we tend to use the language we grew up with but our environment affects our language also.

I really have no opinion at all on this subject. I say THANKS when someone gives me advice.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    In a day and age when some people would just as leave knock you down as say, "Excuse me"or "I'm sorry", I'll happily take, "Thanks" and "No problem" and not question their upbringing or culture. When I was growing up this was not only taught at home but was reinforced in school.....sigh!

Interesting reading through the responses... "thank you" and " thanks" are both acknowledged as formal or less formal, with "thank you" coming in first.

"You are welcome" is almost never used unless you add a word, i.e. "you are very welcome". "You're welcome" wins out over both alternatives. I suspect that most of us use the contraction rather than the long form without thinking about it. It probably bodes well for "no problem". Language is a living thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
    In a day and age when some people would just as leave knock you down as say, "Excuse me"or "I'm sorry", I'll happily take, "Thanks" and "No problem" and not question their upbringing or culture
    It's a good point and very true. We, however, are always improving, right?

I usually write "thank you" because I want the person to know that I really am thankful. "Thanks" just doesn't feel right.

"Thanks" is for when someone hands you a beer; "thank you" is for when it's 96 and someone hands you an ice-cold Heady Topper.

I enjoy hearing " my pleasure" when I can see sincerity behind the words. But I have had servers in restaurants that make it their every response. Gets tiring and does not usually come across as sincere. Just MHO.

Blog Entries
    What about the word ' please' children have to be reminded to say this word as well as thank you. They should also learn what no means.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I say thank you and I also say excuse me as I was taught, as well as Please and thank you, I'm sorry. But then to my inlaws .. LOL now that is a different story (especially after I found out our immediate family is gossip fodder!LOL). My inlaws just get a thanks and I move on... LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I like the "I was happy to do it" response in place of "No problem" - IF I was happy (or at least not grumpy) to do it.

I still balk at saying "I was happy to do it" when I was NOT happy to do it and did not want to; or "No problem" when doing whatever was a major effort or expensive or took a lot of time.

If someone not so dear asked me for a serious/major favor, I'd just say, "Sorry but I can't help you." I certainly wouldn't do the favor and then say they were welcomed to it, afterwards.

I see no reason to downplay effort, time, or expense when someone not so dear has asked for a serious/major favor.
    If someone not so dear asked me for a serious/major favor, I'd just say, "Sorry but I can't help you." I certainly wouldn't do the favor and then say they were welcomed to it, afterwards.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

If anyone has a problem with my 'no problem' response after a doing a him/her favor, that person will have an even bigger problem because it'll probably be the very last favor I do for him/her.

Seriously though, as long as the person speaks from the heart, the words shouldn't matter so much. Why get your britches all bunched, over another person's lack of formality? Are we all so perfect in our speech habits, as to be truly qualified to correct anyone with speech less 'refined' than our own? Even if we are, is it worth hurting the other person's feelings, just for our own inflated egos?
    Last edited by Neesie; 08-24-2015 at 06:11 AM.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    If anyone has a problem with my 'no problem' response after a doing a him/her favor, that person will have an even bigger problem because it'll probably be the very last favor I do for him/her.

Seriously though, as long as the person speaks from the heart, the words shouldn't matter so much. Why get your britches all bunched, over another person's lack of formality? Are we all so perfect in our speech habits, as to be truly qualified to correct anyone with speech less 'refined' than our own? Even if we are, is it worth hurting the other person's feelings, just for our own inflated egos?
    Oh, for the love of . . .

I would not " correct" someone for saying " no problem" after I had thanked him/ her for doing something for me

I agree that sometimes we have to go with the intent of the words rather than the actual words.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 08-24-2015 at 07:19 AM.

I would take a "thanks" any day.

My 22 year old daughter is autistic and anytime someone says "Thank you" within her hearing, she immediately corrects them with "Thanks"! I have no idea why she so vehemently insists on this, but I just figure it's one of those "autistic thangs" with her. 😉

Donna
    DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

I know times are changing a lot with terminology but I like to be told thank you in a public place when I am a patron. I don't want to be told no problem as if doing their job is a big deal to wait on you. If it wasn't for all us patrons they would have no job. So they definitely should be thanking us. If one of my friends or family did not thank me for something I would not do it again that's for sure. Big pet peeve of mine but it was the way I grew up & you can't teach an old dog new tricks! lol Just this summer we went to a immediate family members wedding. We never got a thank you card or even a phone call thanking us for our gift or everything else we did. So a month after the wedding we contacted them & told them we didn't receive a TY card & wanted to make sure they received the envelope we took to the wedding & all the food I spent all day working on. (I just helped out with food since I was asked to) They informed us they wasn't sending out TY cards. I never heard of such a thing. Fool me once. I'm just glad I didn't make them a quilt because that was what I planned on doing at first. I could go on & on but I won't say anymore. I'm just a little hurt by that.

As long as there is an honest expression of gratefulness for a gift or kindness, I'm fine with whatever is said.

Life is too short to dwell on how thank you was said.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by carrieg View Post
    'No problem' is the one that bugs me a little. We teach our toddlers to say 'you're welcome', but then we don't say it.
    I can't stand it when someone says "no problem"!!!!

Blog Entries
    Annette, I believe everyone should send thank you notes after a wedding, especially. I would imagine they had registered at one or two stores, so their attendees who went to the store and bought something on their list need to be thanked. We went to a wedding last summer (2014), and just last month we got a thank you note and an apology for being so late, but this year they were both working on their Master's Degrees, so they have been busy, but they wanted us to know our gift hadn't been forgotten. And I think that was neat.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    Life is too short to dwell on how thank you was said.
    Is it also too short to consider the way we express our gratitude?

I guess it depends on who you're talking to and level of formality....the word I don't like hearing is "hey" instead of "hi" or "hello". My mom used to always say "hay is for horses and jack-asses, too"...
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I have a major issue with the "no problem" instead of "you are welcome". What has happened to manners?????? If I thank a server for refilling tea or water or what ever, and they answer no problem-----their tip just went way down. Very rude.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast