Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are There Any Experts on Printers Here? >

Are There Any Experts on Printers Here?

Are There Any Experts on Printers Here?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 AM

Default Are There Any Experts on Printers Here?

OK - This is the problem....out of the clear blue sky, my printer (an HP Officejet 6500) printed in black and blue ONLY....The ink levels were all identical. I pulled the blue cartridge out and tried to print, but it said it would NOT print if one was missing. So, next I replaced the blue with an old cartridge I had, and at did finally show the pink and yellow...no blue then. I contacted HP and they wanted 129 to answer my question....--sorry, been down that way before....Since everyone here is so learned, just thought I would ask! Thanks a ton!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 AM

Take out all the ink cartridges, shake them and put them back in the printer. Make sure they are secure. Then try to print. If that doesn't work, you might try unhooking your printer from the computer or tower, turn off and let it set for 5 - 10 minutes to reset it.
Have you gone online to troubleshooting HP printers? There might be other suggestions.
Computers and their accessories can be so frustrating!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I'd take a trip to Staples and ask the questions you have ... often times the staff know more than enough to sort out problems without a service fee.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 PM

That same little gimmick cost Dell computer any further purchases from me...it's bad enough to have spent the price on a new computer, call them to ask a question and have them tell you that it's a service charge to answer your question...what a bunch of dummies! Never again....good luck with your printer. I'd do what MaryMo suggested.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM

That just sounds greedy to me. I have an HP at our office and it will not pick up the paper to print. This printer has been rarely used and now we can't receive faxes, print or copy from it. No help except to send it in.

At home I switched to an Epson. Well, that is no help to you- sorry. All of a sudden I just vented.

I hope you solve your problem. Turning everything off and unplugging it all might help as someone has already suggested. Good luck. Let us know how you worked it out.

I'm going to my happy place now so I don't have to think about that printer again.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 PM

I have a Kodak all in one printer I bought for the enlarging feature. It has always worked very well. Now all of a sudden I can't get the red to print out! All the other colors are fine but I need the red coloring for my patterns! Has plenty of ink so that shouldn't be the problem. I know what you mean about them wanting payment up front to see if they can even FIX the problem!! Not from me! Printers aren't as expensive per say then the ink to use with them!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:15 AM

Oftentimes a particular cartridge can become dried up if not used for a period of time. Epson's were notorious for this several years ago. Not sure if they've resolved the problem or not. That could be the problem with a particular color. It is also possible that the seat where the cartridge sits has become clogged. Remove the cartridge, use a q-tip to clean the area and then replace with a new cartridge. Those tricks will usually resolve those type of issues. Good luck. Nothing more frustrating that the printer not working correctly.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 AM

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...riesId=3795309

Here's the troubleshooting page for the printer. Often, if you double-click the printer's icon, you can get a status page that lets you do things like a test print and a print head cleaning. Your printer has a display, so you may be able to do so using the controls on the printer itself. If none of this helps, just google the printer name and "troubleshoot", usually there are forums where people get questions like this answered from people who have had the same issues and know how to fix it. I always do this before I even consider contacting the manufacturer, they have more interest in selling you a new product than fixing the one you have.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Oftentimes a particular cartridge can become dried up if not used for a period of time. Epson's were notorious for this several years ago. Not sure if they've resolved the problem or not. That could be the problem with a particular color. It is also possible that the seat where the cartridge sits has become clogged. Remove the cartridge, use a q-tip to clean the area and then replace with a new cartridge. Those tricks will usually resolve those type of issues. Good luck. Nothing more frustrating that the printer not working correctly.
Use a little household alcohol on the qtip. I'm bettin this is the problem. They dry up after a while. use the alcohol on all the parts (carefully) and on the cartridge. Hope you get it going.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:35 AM

I'm not familiar with that printer but I have an old HP psc 750. On mine, there's a "menu" which leads to several tasks. One of those tasks is maintenance. Under maintenance is "clean print cartridges." If your printer is set up similarly, maybe you can find the command that performs a similar function.