Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For those who want to know about an economic heads up

Blog Entries

For those who want to know about an economic heads up

From time to time I pass on some Economic viewpoints from the reports DH receives. The last few have been indicated price increases on certain foods but the latest is rather eye opening. DH told me top off our pantry with basic staples as it seems there could be ample lag time in stores being able to get goods for a period of time starting maybe before summer. Just a heads up if you are inclined.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 12-30-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    hmmm, thats interesting. I will definitely give that some thought.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Any reason for the expected delay?

Thank you for the thought provoking topic. Any reason(s) given for the anticipated grocery restocking delays? What products does he suggest might be best for your pantry (and mine)?

DH and I have been talking about this for quite sometime now. We have been stocking our pantry. We even have some survival items
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

lbc
    We have a friend who has a 13 acre olive orchard and he told us there was not one olive this year and that it wasn't just him but all of California. So, I believe it will hit next year, prices will sky rocket for olive oil, olives, etc.

I usually go to Aldi and buy my canned goods by the flat (12). I keep my pantry cupboards organized in alphabetical order so that at a glance I can tell what i'm getting low on. Okay, since dh and dd have put the groceries away a couple of times I need to reorganize right now but thats how I usually keep it. Being raised on a farm where we got snowed in sometimes for 2 weeks at a time in the winter, I've never gotten over keeping a large supply of staples on hand. It's kind of like keeping a set of warm clothes and a couple of warm blankets/quilts in the car "just in case". Dh has already stocked up on fuel for our generator and made sure that it's in good running order. He bought one big enough to run everything. Thanks for the heads up.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

There is so much you can stock before it goes stale or expires. Just something to think about.

Blog Entries
    Basic staples will keep for years. There are lots of how to stock a pantry books available. My favorite one is Less is More . Comfort foods like chocolate, tea, sugar, condiments, coffee, spices, dried fruits and nuts. These seem to go up in price first with the biggest increase. Most people will buy these products even with a high cost and the manufacturers know it.
    Got fabric?

As world news becomes more accessable to us we tend to become more belabored thenliberated by it. Fears grow out of proportion and choices are made in anticapation of impending disasters for which either do not occur or ar far different then expected. Caution is great and a little bit of prevention is good but becoming paranoid is just that.

Thanks for the heads up. WE do this on a continuing basis but watch for sales mostly...today it was canned soup. 2 yr. shelf life. Coffee is usually the hardest to stock up on since I like flavored only, but will go with the others if need be. Also a good idea to have something for family if they live nearby. Thanks again

My pantry is usually pretty well stocked...But a few of the basics are depleted by all the holiday stuff. Had decided to do a big shopping trip already...before reading this. I always keep at least 1 can of coffee ahead...can't live without it.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by writerwomen View Post
    As world news becomes more accessable to us we tend to become more belabored thenliberated by it. Fears grow out of proportion and choices are made in anticapation of impending disasters for which either do not occur or ar far different then expected. Caution is great and a little bit of prevention is good but becoming paranoid is just that.

Same could be said of purchasing insurance polices too. My pantry is just another insurance policy. No one can predict what the future will bring to everyone.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Same could be said of purchasing insurance polices too. My pantry is just another insurance policy. No one can predict what the future will bring to everyone.

I agree and have to add, the Fear factor comes in when there's a disaster and one is not PREPARED. I imagine there are a lot of unemployed people in the US alone who are sorry they didn't prepare for a rainy day.
    Ellen......I'm gonna go play now

http://bestsmileys.com/computer1/19.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/auntie_em22

I have lived by that motto since I moved to AK. We are especially vulnerable here. It is nice to see it being discussed here.
    Fran in SW Iowa
    previously AK

Blog Entries
    We have stocked up and could probably go 3 to 4 months if need be. I used to be able to buy powdered milk in large boxes. Can't even find small ones today. Went in to Harris teeter today and no organic milk, just a sign saying Due to severe summer weather we are currently on a "Nationwide organic milk allocation with most brands". Wow! I guess organic milk cows don't eat the same junk food as milk cows do because there was plenty of regular milk. I switched to organic because I have become "lactose intolerant" in my senior years. However, organic milk does not bother me at all. Strange? Oh well.

Remember the Toilet paper scare in the '70's? Or the sugar shortage? But yes I keep my pantry full too. I keep it full because when the rapture comes my husband can take care of himself for a while. If the Aztec's were right we only have 12 months to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnc View Post
    Remember the Toilet paper scare in the '70's? Or the sugar shortage? But yes I keep my pantry full too. I keep it full because when the rapture comes my husband can take care of himself for a while. If the Aztec's were right we only have 12 months to go.
    Loved this answer! LOL!
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

Blog Entries
    If a person has lived in a disaster area, they can explain the feelings of not having something as simple as water or ice. Many times it takes a while for Responders to get supplies in. I was not in the worst area of Katrina but did go w/o electricity for over a week and "I" thought that was bad...can't imagine those left homeless. We are so used to modern conveniences that sometimes we take these for granted. Luckily, it was summer here but if my friend/neighbor had not had a "gas stove" we wouldn't have been eating after several days. So it is not paranoia if there is no food to even cook on an outdoor grill or little water to drink.

There are several sites that help you to be prepared w/o being paranoid...just being prepared. As we older folks remember, OUR parents were always prepared with canned food, firewood, well water, etc.

Also, I believe we are already experiencing the pain of steadily increasing higher prices as we walk by items on the shelf that we might have bought previously. I know I do. And who hasn't experienced the empty shelves when a storm/and or "snow" for us in the South, is predicted...bread and milk are the first items to go!!

I am certainly going to start being "better prepared" than I am now!!

Blog Entries
    OH, MY, LOL!!

The Mayan Calendar predicted the "end" last summer. My family and I and a crowd of parents/grandparents/kids were at the baseball fields watching Little League games! Suddenly, my grown son (my grandson was playing ball) looked at his watch, looked around and said "well the Rapture has come and it doesn't seem like anybody has left the ballfields"!! We all cracked up!!

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045 View Post
    Loved this answer! LOL!
    I remember the sugar shortage too! but not the way most of you do! My Hubby was stationed at Ft. Lewis,Wa. and every Wed had Garbage dump duty, Bet you can't guess what he did? He covered up Tons of perfectly fine Sugar!! with a Bulldoser. This went on 7 day a week for along, long time!! with guards and I sure it was not just in Washington. So we never had a Shortage atleast not one our goverment didn't Want!!

Blog Entries
    I've been prepping for years. You never know when you will be hit with a financial disaster or other problems. It is always prudent to have stocks on hand ~ and there is always enough to share with those in need.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I was raised in a rural area and when the roads were bad, you stayed home. My parents always stocked a little extra groceries during the winter. I still live in a rural area and always make sure to have extra canned goods and other supplies on hand. Well, after 2 different ice storms, I have had my eyes opened to the meaning of being prepared. We were without water and electricity for 2 weeks. We do have a propane cookstove so we were able to eat. My brother in law has a well that you cannot drink but it was a life saver to flush our toilets. After the 1st storm, you could not find a bottle of water or batteries. By the time 2nd storm came a lot of people had generators, but couldn't find gasoline locally. We now have a generator and my husband fills a 55 gal drum with gasoline before expected bad weather. We heat with firewood, so we are always warm. lol
    Linda

I love your attitude. I don't being prepared with what I find on sale or buying more of when I have the extra pocket change, but I will NOT succumb to the paranoia of others. (I'm tired of the media/govt/people mashing the panic button at every given opportunity)

I will try to do more home canning this next year; I will shop more at the discount places such as Big Lots, etc. But that's just a matter of preparedness.

I told my dh since the "end date" is supposed to be Dec 21st, I expect him to get the Christmas cards out EARLY this year. We live in Florida. We keep supplies on hand.
    If laughter is the best medicine, I prescribe a Dachshund or four.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast