Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: For Those Of You...

For Those Of You...

Who have a shellfish allergy or know someone who does, stay away from Anchovies! I have shellfish allergies but didn't know that Anchovies have the same protein as shellfish. I found this out because I ate a Cesar salad and the dressing contains anchovies. I was violently ill. Hope this saves someone from what I went through.
    Sandra

Blog Entries
    also, if you're allergic to peanuts, don't eat eggrolls, they put a 5lb jar of peanut butter into the eggroll mix to hold it together and give it flavor. I worked in Chinese for over 5 yrs, and was shocked when I saw this.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Woreshishire (sorry wrong sp) but it has anchovies in it as well.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. Didn't know that about egg rolls!!!!! I also have shellfish allergy but don't like anchovies!!!
    I live in the St Louis, Mo area.

People with allergies have to be so very careful. The least amount of an allergen can make you deathly ill. I am allergic to artificial sweetners, and someone opening a packet across the room from me can be frightful if there is a little breeze, even from an AC unit.

Thanks. I have a friend who suffers from terrible allergies. I will forward this onto her.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

As a young adult I ate Lobster for the first time. I swelled horribly the next day. I went to military clinic and was told I had a reaction to the Lobster, given injection and sent home. The Dr. told me to try a small bit of shell fish once a month, increasing it a little at a time. If I swelled as bad as before then don't eat shellfish. I did that and the swelling decreased each time I ate it. I now can eat all I want and no reaction. I didn't get sick, just swollen.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I ate at a friend's house who made homemade Chinese egg rolls from scratch and never used peanut butter to make them. I watched her make them the day before. She did use peanut oil to fry them in but noit peanut butter to make them.
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    also, if you're allergic to peanuts, don't eat eggrolls, they put a 5lb jar of peanut butter into the eggroll mix to hold it together and give it flavor. I worked in Chinese for over 5 yrs, and was shocked when I saw this.
    My friend is of Chinese ancestry.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
    People with allergies have to be so very careful. The least amount of an allergen can make you deathly ill. I am allergic to artificial sweetners, and someone opening a packet across the room from me can be frightful if there is a little breeze, even from an AC unit.
    It's such a fine powder. I can't stand the taste. It's all too sweet.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    Woreshishire (sorry wrong sp) but it has anchovies in it as well.
    Didn't doubt your word just had to check my bottle. Yep!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have allergies to people wearing perfume . Some trigger migraines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    I have allergies to people wearing perfume . Some trigger migraines.
    I am allergic to perfume, etc. too. Instant headache.

Blog Entries
    maybe not at home, but I worked in 3 Chinese restaurants, and they all use peanut butter there. just a warning to those who may have an allergy.

I'm severely allergic to cigarette smoke, no one wants to believe me. Maybe because they smoke. a bit across the parkinglot or in the car in front of me, puts me into an asthma attack. I feel it before I smell it.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I think there should be more information about the ingredients of food items. I have an allergy to oranges. At this time of year oranges are in all the food as essence juice or orange decorations. I can't even smell the essence.
    I had a salad with an orange on asked for it to be removed and fresh lettuce. They just took the orange off and left the lettuce. Reason it had only sat on the leaf so no problem. They should have seen me an hour later at home.
    Last edited by DOTTYMO; 10-26-2015 at 01:04 AM.
    Finished is better than a UFO