Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrift store "police"

There's a lot of truth to what you say. I volunteer at an organization that provides free clothing to children in foster care. Much of the 'free' stuff is donated used. Most of the time, we get clean, well cared for clothing. But I have personally opened a bag and started sorting a bag that had used toilet paper (not much) and dirty underwear in it. That bag went directly to trash.

Well it's too bad you met the quilt shop police but as far as the homeless man in the size 4 plaid skrt - you never know. LOL
    In all fairness must share an article that I once read on-line - there are not only homeless men and women but now many homeless families too. Hopefully as the economy gets better this will change for the better too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    No way would I ever tell them what I planned to do with anything I buy. Our thrift stores around here has mainly junky stuff and no fabric and not much useful stuff.
    We had, as a custmer, a tool & die shop that use to get clothes given to them by Salvation Army store and they would do their jobs wearing tuxedos, suits, etc. Some of the clothes are so outdated, noone would wear them.
    Whooop! Whoop! I have this great mental picture of guys in agarage working on cars wearing tuxedos!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Well doggone it; even the thrift store people have opinions now .. LOL I bought some shirts to turn into aprons for the GD's and the lady asked me if the shirts were for me and I said no they are going to be made into aprons. The look she gave me .. WOW! wouldn't even count back the change .. Oh well .. LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

That's why I donate all my items to the Salvation Army! If someone really needs something, they will give it to them. Of course not everything that's donated is usable, but they make good use of a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by PJisChaos View Post
    I love shopping the local thrift stores and even Goodwill, looking for anything and everything I could put to use or use. Hubby is a garbage man and just broke my heart after telling me that there are Goodwill trucks full of clothing, furniture, you name it, out at the landfill at least once daily. They just dump all this usable stuff out there, huge trucks full of it! I wonder why they don't donate it to other organizations instead of tossing it away? It is still useful to someone, I would think.
    When shopping there a few days ago, the cashier was astonished that I buy clothing and sheets "just to destroy them". I bit my tongue and simply said "Well, this way you won't have to pay to dump it at the landfill so, I reckon it's a win-win, huh?". Grrr, people like that just irk me and I'm sorry ya had to deal with that. Good job on the find though!
    Husker Barb

Where I live there are 3 thrift stores within about 30 miles of me...I am always amazed at Mercedes and Cadillacs, and other very high end cars parked out back! LOL...can't park in front...someone might see them! I say our cash is as good as anyone elses..shop for what you want..it all goes to the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    If she was that concerned about helping people who need clothing why isn't she giving it away??
    Well said.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Old hen View Post
    That's why I donate all my items to the Salvation Army! If someone really needs something, they will give it to them. Of course not everything that's donated is usable, but they make good use of a lot of things.
    Our Salvation Army store sells the items. Our Good Samaritan Center gives all items donated away.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Not only should they not critisize, (because of people like us and interior decorators they've raised their prices in my part of the country. Items that used to be a dollar or two are now four and five.) but they should thank us.
    jean

Blog Entries
    I shop at thrift stores as well, sometimes it's hard to be polite when people ASK what your intended purpose is. I usually say I recycle it, if they ask "into what?" I'll say quilts. If they seem annoyed I have been known to say "If you didn't want to hear the answer... why did you ask the question? Mostly I just tell myself they forgot to take their medication today. I said that out loud once and the lady looked at me like she was trying to remember if she did or not. Our thrift stores have volunteers, some are there because they REALLY want to help, others are there being nosy to see WHO comes in to BUY things (those are the askers... Its a gossip game) Very rarely do you find good clothing. because most people are buying from discount marts, it is sad to see what some people will donate. The better clothing is old and outdated, so don't feel bad recycling, that's what quilters have done for years.

good for you. I don't get to thrift store often but my grandma has a list of stuff to pick up for my mom and I when she sees it. She's goes every week. She's gotten some really good stuff for us to "just cut up" too.....lol.
    Anything that can be recycled/upcycled/reused should be. Can't wait to see some of your projects. Hope your going to share them with us.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I could shop anywhere but I like to check out places like our local trifts and occasionally Goodwill or SA. In one Goodwill, I found a brand new Norwegian wool sweater with pewter clasps for $2.98. It was too small for me but I got it for a friend. In the little thrift store that supports or local woman's shelter, I found a brown suede zipper front vest that fits like a dream. It was $20 but looks new. Yippee. In that same thrift store, they had 17 yards of dragon fabric. Probably for someone's drapery project. It was less than $1 per yard. I almost bought a brand new leather sofa and chair but hubby put his foot down because we had no room.

I do like the smaller thrifts over Goodwill since they are much more likely to get interesting items out on the floor.

I collected a mountian of wool cloth from recycling wool clothes for my rug hooking from thrift purchases.

Blog Entries
    In Indianapolis we have THREE Goodwill Outlets and a Goodwill auction plus a lot of regular GW stores. We have 4 Value World's, a DAV thrift store & numerous SA and all kinds of other little thrift stores. Then there are flea markets and antique malls. I think it is because we don't have basements and we have garbage rationing - yeah we get one can big enough for a homeless person to sleep in... There is a lot of good stuff at the thrift stores. I don't buy new clothes any more and I don't sew them from scratch - I buy good quality clothes from the thrift stores and some times I find something with good fabric and then re-use the fabric. Sometimes I find fabric at the thrift stores. It isn't hard to add clutter to the house either.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    when i shop at thrift -if the clerk feels the need to comment on my purchases i simply state--'oh it will all go to good use'; smile, pay & walk away...there's no need to offer more information than needed- it's really none of their business; when i go to Penneys & shop for granddaughters, daughter, mother, aunt, sons...all at once- no one feels (justified) in commenting on the various sizes/styles/types of purchases---why would it be any different if i'm shopping at goodwill or challenge mountain?...all that matters is that i pay for my purchases- when i go out the door what i do with them is only my business...i've bought clothing at a store having a good sale- walked out & dropped the purchases into a donation box...would the clerk at Penneys have a heart attack if she knew i just bought that stuff (and threw it away?) nope- the store made their money- i've shopped at many thrift stores looking for good wool---sometimes clerks have commented on what a nice suit, skirt, jacket that was---i simply say---Yes, isn't it wonderful? smile /pay and walk away...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I recently purchased two wool suit jackets from Goodwill to felt, but when I got them home, I decided to wear them before I felt them. They are perfect for taking the dogs out, walking to the mailbox or to the paper box. When I worked I wore them all the time rather than a winter coat which is always too heavy and bulky for me.

I never mention why I am buying something. My very first quilting project was made from men's plaid cotton shirts. I still purchase them occasionally for quilt projects when I want to use plaids.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    what are some of the things you look for? I would love to make some jean bags. Please advise!

If the cashiers at my local 'Savers' knew I was cutting up leather coats to make accessories, they'd probably have a cow! It's just none of their business what I do with my purchases and I have long ago learned not to mention my intentions! They just don't get it!!

Blog Entries
    My daughter went into the thrift store once and bought some brightly colored jeans for a braided rug. The clerk asked who would wear things like that? Rose looked mysterious and walked away.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

Our stores all know what I do with my purchases and they are friendly and encouraging. They love when I bring in quilts to show them that contain fabrics from things I bought in their shops. They, in fact, will sometimes give me a small extra discount when I buy a lot at one time.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tymia View Post
    what are some of the things you look for? I would love to make some jean bags. Please advise!
    Sizes up to lady's 12, including children's. Any larger and the tote is too big, unless that is what you want. I look for ones that have nice detail on pockets, like embroidery or jeweled that is in excellent condition, unless I want to add my own themed "bling", then I want fairly plain ones. Unless I want a distresses and well worn look, I want jeans that look new. Also, they have to have belt loops for the ties. I also find it a bonus when a pair have design on pockets and matching design down the leg or legs, because I can use that for matching inside pockets. I found 2 pairs of NYDJ jeans, size 4 and 6, one in white and one in chocolate brown, both looked they have never never been worn, and snapped them up! One was $6.99 and the other $4.99. I think they sell new for about $90.00. I got them home and really had a hard time cutting them!! However, Both were WAY too small for me, so I made them into really nice jeans bags. I think I posted photos of them a couple months ago.

Blog Entries
    As a young bride I use to work for Goodwill Industries in Southern Calif. when DH was stationed at El Toro.
    I don't donate to Goodwill and only give them my money if they have something I want to buy. I donate all unused items to Salvation Army and give generously to their red buckets. Goodwill is a big business, Salvation Army is for truly helping.

As for someone asking me what I'm buying thrift store items for I would answer with it's a secret.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 12-30-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    Got fabric?

I think the discussion has gone from rude clerks to the charity industry. Yes, it is an industry. I volunteer for a dog rescue thrift store. All items are donated ( and some are a doozie) and all workers are volunteers. Anything that is un-sale-able goes to rag pickers who pay by the pound. All of the money raised goes to the dogs and their care. Last year we were able to rescue and find homes for 700 dogs. Thrift stores make a LOT of money!! But a RUDE CLERK should never be tolerated regardless of where you shop!!!!!!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

We donate our gently used clothing to the homeless shelters. We also donate our aluminum cans to one of them. Most of the furniture we no longer use goes to the Goodwill.

We have also went and bought children's jackets at the Goodwill to give to the homeless shelters.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

It's my understanding that these stores are open to make a profit. Cannot imagine why anyone would put a limit on something, especially when it was donated in the first place. The more sold, the more they can fund the programs. Some folks can be very small minded.

Power Poster
    I agree with you completely. What you do with it after you buy it is none of their business. Bad enough we have quilt police, now we have thrift store police too???

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast