Thrift store "police"

Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM

Did you ever hear: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for lifetime." Lots of donations are useless and the homeless would not even want them.

Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker View Post
well they don't give them to the needy ..
Old 12-29-2012, 09:54 AM

Why was that a "bad experience"? Fibers can be recycled and perhaps that is where that mountain was headed.

Originally Posted by FAYE View Post
I prefer not to give to G.W. due a bad experience. I was told to unload at the back of bldg. I saw a mountain of clothing piled to rhe warehouse roof & wide as the eye could see, clothing that was not seasonal for the climate of our region. DUH!!!!, why not make a free to you area-it will get recycled by crafters.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
she might 'not be employable' anywhere else with her attitude.
That's what I was thinking. Maybe they are giving her a chance to get some work experience because she can't hold down a job anywhere else and has responsibilities? There is more than one way to help someone.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 AM

Stupid thought- it's saving all those fabric items from the garbage heap either way! Besides, it's keeping the thrift store alive by showing a demand for the used items, meaning it will still be in business when the poor people need it. It's dumb to classify what you will use that fabric item for.

I confess to buying thrift store curtains to make a Halloween costume- as curtains they weren't very good because of some runners and wear spots, but the fabric has a new life whenever my daughter wears her Hakama.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 AM

When someone asks me a question that I'd rather not answer, I start opening my purse and say, "Oh great! You're writing a book and since I'm going to be included, let me give you one of my cards so you can make sure I get a copy." Not one person has taken a card yet! I'm sure there are all these books floating around out there with me in them, and I don't have one of them!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM

I was concerned about Goodwill throwing away perfectly good items so I read on their website:

Why should I donate to my local Goodwill rather than another thrift store?Goodwill Stores are linked to a great cause — 82 percent of Goodwill’s revenues go directly into employment and training programs for people with disabilities and other barriers to employment!
For-profit thrift stores sometimes arrange to use a charity’s name to collect donations in exchange for a flat fee or a percentage of the revenue. Often this deal is not generally publicized, and the percentage that charity actually makes may be less than 5 cents for every dollar spent. Make your donations wisely!
It seems like Goodwill services vary in different geographic locations. Why is this?
We are the corporate headquarters for Goodwill and we work with an autonomous member network. Our member Goodwills strive to identify the needs of the community and the demand of local industry for employment. Based on the needs of the community, each local Goodwill designs programs and services that give Goodwill graduates the skills they need to find work right where they live.

What happens to donated items that aren’t sold at Goodwill stores?
Our goal is to try to generate money to fund Goodwill programs from every item that is donated. So in most cases, we’ll do what we can to get items in salable shape.

As for items that can’t be sold in our stores, we’ve found other creative uses for them. For instance, some member Goodwills recycle old clothing scraps into industrial wipes (cleaning cloths) for industrial buyers. Other items that are too damaged for retail sales are sold to salvage brokers.
If I shop at a Goodwill store, will I be depriving disadvantaged people of stuff they need?
No. Goodwill serves disadvantaged people by educating, training and placing them into jobs. By becoming gainfully employed, these individuals gain resources to buy the things they need. Many disadvantaged people who are in training or are employed by Goodwill Industries are offered vouchers or discounts at Goodwill retail stores.

Sometimes people donate "trash" just to get rid of it, and just because someone is "needy" doesn't mean they will wear anything. I was raised poor, so I speak from experience. One of my favorite hobbies is yard sales and I'm just amazed sometimes by what people think "someone can use it" entails. I attempted to pick up some items on Freecycle and on a couple of occasions I found it was a person getting someone else to haul off their trash.

I think it's great if anyone can find clothes at Goodwill and other thrift stores to re purpose, and make something beautiful out of something un-useable., while still raising money to help people.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:12 PM

You are a "skit", girl! Great comeback!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:53 PM

I'm a bellydancer and get all kinds of strange reactions when I'm asked what I'm using trim, sequins, and tissue lame for.

Some questions I've been asked: (mainly at JoAnn Fabric)

You do that naked??? (What?? seriously??)
You a terrorist?? (What?? seriously??)
Your husband LETS you do that?? (What?? seriously??)

<giant eye roll>
Old 12-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

I do not worry about poor people not getting enough stuff at the thrift store. They are usually better dressed than I am.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:11 PM

I shop at resale and goodwill, salvation army, etc...I am always looking for stuff...
The attitude of a couple of people at certain shops will prevent me from going back to these particular shops...but at others....they will call me when something they think I need comes in....