Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
TORNADO HITS SANFORD, NC.  ON 4-16-11 >

TORNADO HITS SANFORD, NC. ON 4-16-11

TORNADO HITS SANFORD, NC. ON 4-16-11

Old 04-17-2011, 01:04 AM

Around 3 PM Saturday afternoon, one or two tornado's cut a path through Sanford,N. C. in an area I use to live in. All the major damage would have been within 3-5 miles of my former address.

Lowe's Hardware--very large store like Home Depot, etc was hit and leveled almost. Manager of store sees storm on way to store and calls and warns store. At least 50 employees and 70 customers were rounded up and put in back of store. No fatalities or major injuries. Their parking lot was trashed and cars had window blown out and flipped upside down. A real mess.
Across the 4 lane major highway, the Tractor Supply store and a Big Lots discount store were hit and sustained major damage too. It hit a home subdivision first before coming this way and destroyed most of the subdivision, with approximately 30 homes destroyed.
Another business, Spanset was demolished as well. Major damages in these areas.

Only two deaths in our area, a truck driver and one other. God was good to us and spared many from certain death. They called this a Wedge Storm because of the width of the storm path and the pictures they have of the cloud. It has been since 1984 that we have had any weather like this. Carolina does not usually get these types of storms or tornados.

I am sure not one person in this town was not affected in some way by this storm.

Carol from Sanford, Lee County, North Carolina.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:49 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

I was speaking with a friend on the phone last night in Baltimore, MD and they were under a tornado watch also. Hopefully there was no injuries there!

Hugs and Blessings!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:23 AM

I am so sorry for the horror this storm caused you and everyone in your area and the other parts of the state hit by the storm. I lived in NC for 25 years until last summer, so as I watched the Weather Channel yesterday (we were under a tornado warning several times yesterday as well), I was so worried about those in the path of the storm. Do know that you're in my thoughts and prayers as you and your neighbors recover from the destruction and terror of the storms.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:48 AM

Thoughts and prayers going out to all of those recovering from these storms and especially those who lost loved ones.
Paisleyc, I am so glad you and yours are ok.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:31 AM

I'm praying for all victims of these terrible storms. It sounds like more are on the way.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:33 AM

We had some weather here, too. We live between Sanford and Raleigh. Our neighborhood was ok, just lots of wind and rain but the little town of Holly Springs got hit, which is where "our" Wal Mart is.

We're very blessed this morning.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:35 AM

Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes. I have been watching the TV on the St. Andrew's Subdivision and it looks like a war zone---30 homes in one 1/4 mile are destroyed.

But God has been good to us all here, no deaths in this awful mess and the Lowe's Hardware had none either.

Carol from NC
Old 04-17-2011, 03:36 AM

Thank the Lord Rebecca you all are ok too!!!

Carol from NC
Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 AM

So sad to see the devastation. We're in Leland, just outside of Wilmington ... kept an eye out all day, but were lucky enough to only have very high winds. daughter was staying in Fayetteville with friends. They're all ok, too. Prayers for the folks who have been affected by this storm.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:00 AM

Praying for the folks out there.