Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: TORNADO HITS SANFORD, NC. ON 4-16-11

Around 3 PM Saturday afternoon, one or two tornado's cut a path through Sanford,N. C. in an area I use to live in. All the major damage would have been within 3-5 miles of my former address.

Lowe's Hardware--very large store like Home Depot, etc was hit and leveled almost. Manager of store sees storm on way to store and calls and warns store. At least 50 employees and 70 customers were rounded up and put in back of store. No fatalities or major injuries. Their parking lot was trashed and cars had window blown out and flipped upside down. A real mess.
    Across the 4 lane major highway, the Tractor Supply store and a Big Lots discount store were hit and sustained major damage too. It hit a home subdivision first before coming this way and destroyed most of the subdivision, with approximately 30 homes destroyed.
    Another business, Spanset was demolished as well. Major damages in these areas.

Only two deaths in our area, a truck driver and one other. God was good to us and spared many from certain death. They called this a Wedge Storm because of the width of the storm path and the pictures they have of the cloud. It has been since 1984 that we have had any weather like this. Carolina does not usually get these types of storms or tornados.

I am sure not one person in this town was not affected in some way by this storm.

Carol from Sanford, Lee County, North Carolina.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

I was speaking with a friend on the phone last night in Baltimore, MD and they were under a tornado watch also. Hopefully there was no injuries there!

Hugs and Blessings!

I am so sorry for the horror this storm caused you and everyone in your area and the other parts of the state hit by the storm. I lived in NC for 25 years until last summer, so as I watched the Weather Channel yesterday (we were under a tornado warning several times yesterday as well), I was so worried about those in the path of the storm. Do know that you're in my thoughts and prayers as you and your neighbors recover from the destruction and terror of the storms.

Blog Entries
    Thoughts and prayers going out to all of those recovering from these storms and especially those who lost loved ones.
    Paisleyc, I am so glad you and yours are ok.

I'm praying for all victims of these terrible storms. It sounds like more are on the way.

We had some weather here, too. We live between Sanford and Raleigh. Our neighborhood was ok, just lots of wind and rain but the little town of Holly Springs got hit, which is where "our" Wal Mart is.

We're very blessed this morning.

Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes. I have been watching the TV on the St. Andrew's Subdivision and it looks like a war zone---30 homes in one 1/4 mile are destroyed.

But God has been good to us all here, no deaths in this awful mess and the Lowe's Hardware had none either.

Carol from NC

Thank the Lord Rebecca you all are ok too!!!

Carol from NC

So sad to see the devastation. We're in Leland, just outside of Wilmington ... kept an eye out all day, but were lucky enough to only have very high winds. daughter was staying in Fayetteville with friends. They're all ok, too. Prayers for the folks who have been affected by this storm.

Praying for the folks out there.

Dh still has family in Sanford....we were watching too. Thankfully they are are ok. The damage there is devastating. Person county where his parents live also had some damage. Inlaws are ok. It passed us by this time with only wind and rain....last weekend we had hail damage and all here. Well we didn't but lots around us did. So glad you're ok.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Cannot even imagine going through something like that. What a nightmare. So fortunate that more people were not killed. What in the world do you do when everything is gone? Fires too! Just can't fathom the strength it must take to "pick yourself up, brush yourself off and start all over again. Wow! You are blessed to have been farther away.

My thoughts and prayer are with everyone.

Sewfine

Blog Entries
    My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Here on the coast was hit, too. Some of the military housing for Camp LeJeune and a very highly populated area to the east of it. Jacksonville has been hit hard as well, some really serious injuries. A little girl was air lifted to Pitt hospital in very bad condition.

Our area is still in a state of emergency. My own immediate area is ok, but there's a lot of devastation.

Prayers for all those injured and have lost their homes.

Blog Entries
    Saying prayers for all in these areas... I just can't even imagine what everyone is going through...

Our prayers go out to all of you.

Prayer for all those in this bad weather.

Power Poster
    i feel so bad all all the people in nc we had heavy rains and winds here at va beach but gloucester va got it bad all of you are in my prayers

Had friends move with their kids 15 miles apart and the their daughter broke her ankle and the farm was destroyed but the house is still standing. Had to be evacuated because of a house across the street had a gas leak. Thanking the Lord for their safety and prayers for her husbands co-worker who lost his wife in the tornado. Scary stuff when a minute of time can change so many lives. Praying praying praying for all.

Blog Entries
    I saw this in the paper this morning and wondered if any of our members were effected by the storm. Many thoughts and prayers are being sent.

I was watching our local TV station and they were showing the storm as it moved over Raleigh. It was huge and did a lot of damage in Raleigh. It originated many miles from Raleigh and stayed on the ground for almost 100 miles. There were many such tracks in North Carolina. This particular tornado killed some young childred in a trailer home park. So sad. Many places had major damage. God was with us and we had only rain and heavy winds where we live. Our prayers are with all those who experienced the tornados

We're leaving Idaho on the 29th and heading out to Raleigh to live. I don't look forward to driving across country this time of year, but there's no choice. We moved to Charlotte from Florida in 1989, and never went through a
    hurricane in Florida as bad as Hugo was in NC that year! Hoo boy!!

i'm kinda south of durham right now and it was scary. didn't see a tornado but the wind was awesome and the rain. could not see out the windows. the sky was so dark. i've never seen it that dark before and i'm 42. the Lord watched over us, my son and i are in a camper trailer in a rv park. actually, when the storm was coming, we headed to the concrete block laundry house. had my laptop and watched the local tv station on it. haven't seen any damage around me, but what they showed on the tv was incredible. will be headed to apex and holly springs in the morning to work, apparently the tornado went thru our jobsite (I540 extension). so we may not get to work for a coupla days. rain really slows things down, but i dont know what tornado damage would do. i certainly hope that the people here can recover from this ok and that the insurance companies and govt aid come thru quickly. there are so many that lost everything and 21 were killed just in NC. so so sad.

Blog Entries
    Hopefully the weather will be settling down here real soon. This time of year is so unpredictable. I can't tell you how many times Paducah was hit with terrible storms right before we got there. I know of at least 2 times we missed a tornado or something right close to it. I am so glad that the fatalities were low. Devastation probably don't even describe how the people feel. Shock is what I would picture. My prayer & thoughts goes out to those affected by this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast