Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trying to make myself go to the ASQ quilt convention

Trying to make myself go to the ASQ quilt convention

The ASQ quilt convention is in Daytona Beach which is just 5 or so miles from me. However much I want to go to it, I am sitting here undecided because I have to attend alone. I know, Pity Party of one. LOL
    I just don't like to attend things like this by myself. Husband has volunteered to go with me but I know he would not enjoy it and I would feel that I needed to cut the time short because of him. We have only lived here about 1 1/2 yrs and I belong to a very small quilting guild (usually 8-10 attend) and I don't know any of the members well enough to try to attend with them if they are going. None of the friends I have made here are quilters or I would ask if they would go with me. Sigh! Anyone else ever feel like this?

I've attended a lot of AQS shows alone. It's more fun for me to wander around and look at things on my own schedule. I think you should just go! My husband drops me off and then comes back later to pick me up so I don't have to worry about where to park. One thing, the shows don't allow wheely carts.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Alva,

I am heading to Sew Expo at Puyallup, about 5 hours and 175 miles away from my home (ferry and border crossings to boot) by myself. A few years ago, I would have felt uncomfortable going alone, but not now.

I do not have any close friends who sew and the odd time I invited one to attend my local sewing or quilting show with me, it was not so fun. They really were not interested in sewing, quilting etc and wanted to leave early.

So I leave tomorrow and will spend 4 nights in hotels and can not tell you how much I am looking forward to it.

I have put the word out here and Pattern Review and plan to meet up with one lady from each site while there.

I tend to be an introvert, but I am friendly, not shy. I will find people to talk to wherever I go. At a quilting show, you know before you step through the door that most people there will share your interests, the ones that do not are the ones that are going with someone to keep them company.

You may be surprised with your small guild. At your next meeting when they do announcements, just say you are wanting to go and ask for suggestions on making the best of the show. If you do not say you are interested, the other members will not know and will not invite you along.

Last year I attended a 'Women's Show' with a friend. It was the event that made me decide that I will attend shows by myself, so I get the most out of it for me. Her way of attending the show, interacting with the vendors was completely different from mine. She would not agree to go our own way and meet up at a designated time and place. I finally just walked away. Now I am sure she was not impressed with my way of attending a Show too, it was a complete mismatch.

Go by yourself, you maybe surprised how much you enjoy being on your own.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Blog Entries
    I go to a lot of things by myself, I don't mind. I also would have asked a member to go with me. How else will you get to know someone, and what better way to get to know someone. I met Dotty (dotcomdtcm) on this board. she drove from NYcity to my house on the island, and we welcomed each other with open arms. Another good friend from the board, came to my house, and now we get together every Tuesday. If you don't put yourself out there. you won't meet people. Go, and talk to people and make a new friend. You can do it!!!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

5 miles away? You go, girl!

Seriously, whether you go alone or with DH or with someone else, what do you have to lose? I found that my DH actually enjoyed quilt shows to some extent, and if he got bored he always had a book along to read. If you go with a friend and she wants to see things at a different pace, you can always do things her way and maybe get something different and good out of the experience. If not, it's only 5 miles away - go back and do it your way. If you go alone you will be surprised at how many friends you'll make at the venue. Quilters are always ready to talk to other quilters. Go and have fun!

Blog Entries
    Well, if I were near you I'd go with you. AS it is i go by myself and it's OK. No one to go with and sometimes I feel like doing something I like. So perhaps you could talk someone into it. and husbands are not so bad. Find him a place to sit if he feels like it and continue to drool over the fabrics!!

Oh and it is so close! It isn't like you are making a giant commitment, is it? I've gone to most quilt shows by myself. I took Mr. Stitchnripper once and it was fine - he liked looking at the quilts - but that was just because of timing. I really do prefer going it alone. People tend to be very friendly.
    Alyce

I too prefer going to theses things myself, as I like to wander around and spend time at the vendors and stands I am interested in. Sometimes if you go with a friend it can be a bit restricting as Tothill says. I was in Davenport the first two weeks in February and was really miffed to find Daytona on later and a quilt expo at Lakeland in March.

My DHL likes to go to quilt shows, he can talk to anyone. I do appreciate that he takes me to shows away from home. But the shows close by I really enjoy going alone because I can take my time, look all I want and enjoy myself.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I would go with you but I am in Southern CA. I liked to go with other quilter's to save on parking & gas but then I prefer to do the show by myself. I can take time shopping with the vendors and skip the quilts I am not impressed with.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Don't feel bad... I live about 10 minutes from the Paducah Quilt museum and have lived here over 20 years... nope, never been to it and I have never been to the Quilt show.

I'm only off on weekend and I don't want to hassle with the crowds so I go to my local quilt show and we enjoy the company of the other visitors that come there to visit and spend. I love to help pick out fabrics for folks and when it's not my money it's even better.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

I go to quilt shows with a friend -- but once there we go our separate ways to spend time where we each want. We meet up later to visit. It wouldn't bother me to go alone -- I just visit with a lot of other people at each booth!

Well I put away my cry rag and put on my grown-up panties and went to the show. I wandered at will and just drooled and ooooed over all the beautiful quilts. It is a great show. Didn't spend much time with the venders as I didn't have the $$$ to spend. Registered for the grand prize of an Alaskan quilting cruise in 2017 and to win a Janome machine. Fingers crossed. Show continues thru Saturday. I did see a friend that I play MahJongg with and two ladies from our small guild. Overall....glad I went. Thanks for the encouragement.

I never go to big quilt shows with anyone anymore. I don't like to compromise any of my time because someone's feet hurt, someone is hungry, someone wants to question why I am going back to look at something all the way across the show since I've seen it before. Why am I paying that much for a ruler, hearing everything is too expensive to buy. Nope I go alone.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Glad you went and had fun. Last year my husband went with me to the sewing expo. We had the best time and he encourages me to buy things I probably would not if he wasn't there so it worked out great. He is already asking me if we are going again this year, which is great he is willing to go again. He oil paints and plays guitar so he has the artistic side but I would have never guessed we would have had so much fun.

Blog Entries
    I go alone now, when sisters came they flew through the quilts and went to venders, I wanted to see quilts,, we went our. Own way so was alone. Anyway. I can go to handcocks of paducah any time and go to the museum at least four times a year,,, only 20 miles from. Home
    dare to dream

I love to go places by myself. I can go where I want, move at my own pace, leave when I want.

I go to many events alone and find that I always enjoy myself. I'm on my own schedule with no one else to think about or keep track of -- it's all about me and what I want to look at or do. Of course, I also enjoy going with a friend and that's a whole different experience. They're both good to me!

Alva, thanks for updating us. So glad you decided to go! (Obviously I posted above before reading the entire thread -- my bad.)

By the way, love your kitty pincushion!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
    Well I put away my cry rag and put on my grown-up panties and went to the show. I wandered at will and just drooled and ooooed over all the beautiful quilts. It is a great show. Didn't spend much time with the venders as I didn't have the $$$ to spend. Registered for the grand prize of an Alaskan quilting cruise in 2017 and to win a Janome machine. Fingers crossed. Show continues thru Saturday. I did see a friend that I play MahJongg with and two ladies from our small guild. Overall....glad I went. Thanks for the encouragement.
    I am so glad that you went Alva.

It can be hard the first time attending an event alone.

Here's hoping you name comes up in the prize draw.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I am glad to read you decided to go. While it is always fun to enjoy the company of like minded people, I really like going to quilt shows alone. I can linger at quilts I want to linger at, go back and look at quilts that really interested me and take my time at the vendors that have products I want to browse. Additionally I don't feel obligated to linger at a vendor or quilt that a companion may like better.

I always attend the Palm Beach quilt convention alone, even tho' it's about 45 minutes from where I live in S. FL. I find I can look at what I want and not have to worry about someone else.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry you don't have someone to attend the show with you. Maybe you should put yourself outside your comfort zone and ask at you guild if anyone is going. I would be surprised if you didn't get any invites to join in! I prefer to go to shows like this alone. I can wander at my own pace, and spend my time looking at the things that interest me, without worrying about making someone wait for me. I can also skip the areas I don't want to see. sometimes I go a second time with friends.

Blog Entries
    Ive done all, gone with a quilt group, gone with a friend and gone myself. Selfishly I prefer going alone. I can choose my own path and speed, I eat when I want and where, I can look at quilts without comment or walk around stalls at things I'm interested in. Large groups have this meet up for lunch syndrome and friends can be very pressurising as to what they want to do.

Go go on your own and enjoy the experience, just DH drive you and you can ring for a driver when you are too exhausted to go on. Enjoy the show.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
    Don't feel bad... I live about 10 minutes from the Paducah Quilt museum and have lived here over 20 years... nope, never been to it and I have never been to the Quilt show.

I'm only off on weekend and I don't want to hassle with the crowds so I go to my local quilt show and we enjoy the company of the other visitors that come there to visit and spend. I love to help pick out fabrics for folks and when it's not my money it's even better.
    moonwork, you really need to go to the Paducah show! I've traveled a long way and spent a lot of money to see that show! You don't know what you're missing! Maybe next time I go I can rent a room from you, lol!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast