UGH! My child's friend

Old 08-15-2010, 03:07 PM

Your house, your rules, what you would do to your child do to theirs, not to be mean but to teach. It won't hurt them as long as you don't spank and it will in turn teach respect. They need that and kids want that more than you think. If he is misbehaving or back talking do to him what you do to your son, it is a lesson for both of them. Send him home if he doesn't behave!!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:11 PM

My children are older now, but still remember their friends coming over for play dates, and being told and I mean told how to behave. Their friends now come to visit me and DH, and some even bring their own children. And those who have kids, have well behaved children.
Your house, your rules. Just have to enforce them without being too harsh. I always figured my kids had lots of friends/acquaintances, my job was to be a parent, to them and their friends whilst in my care.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:15 PM

I agree your house, your rules. I always treated the kids mine brought home the same as them. Sometimes it works and others it doesn't. There are still a few that remember their second Mom!!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:47 PM

My son had a friend when he was about 6, this kid was to say the least ....an A+ BUTTHEAD. His Mother defended all his actions as "peer pressure" and he was acting out because of society.

He decided he was going to pick on my daughter. He wouldn't stop, my son asked him to stop or get his butt kicked. Well he didn't, and my son lit into him, pounded his face into the driveway. He goes home and tells his Mom he was attacked for no reason.
She came stomping over to my house screaming, I simply looked at her and said, my son's actions were the result of a society gone bad and my son had succumbed to peer pressure. I never heard from her or her son again.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
My kids had friends with parents that were "less than ideal" to put it nicely. (One had a mother that would tell him to "Go to the store and get me a pack of ciggarettes...DON'T get caught!!" )

I treated these kids like they were my own. They rolled their eyes at something I said, they got in trouble. I gave them a time to "be home" just like my own kids, and when they were late, they got grounded like my own kids. They ate dinner with us? They helped clean up. They mouthed off? They got to spend an hour weeding the garden. They always did what I told them, they knew the alternative was to not be able to come over again...
Thanks that's good advice. He did get the help Peter clean up the back yard because they were being mean to the 4 yr old .
Old 08-15-2010, 04:25 PM

My daughter still laughs about the time I sent her girlfriend upstairs to put on a more modest shirt before they went out with friends. Kids know when you care about them.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
My son had a friend when he was about 6, this kid was to say the least ....an A+ BUTTHEAD. His Mother defended all his actions as "peer pressure" and he was acting out because of society.

He decided he was going to pick on my daughter. He wouldn't stop, my son asked him to stop or get his butt kicked. Well he didn't, and my son lit into him, pounded his face into the driveway. He goes home and tells his Mom he was attacked for no reason.
She came stomping over to my house screaming, I simply looked at her and said, my son's actions were the result of a society gone bad and my son had succumbed to peer pressure. I never heard from her or her son again.
I would have loved to see the look on her face!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk

I would have loved to see the look on her face!!!
My youngest son once kind of took out his older brother friend because he said he was tougher, My son the skinnly little kid, The friend the beefy big kid. A couple hours later the friends older brother came to the door wanting to take on my youngest, I told him sorry he asked for it and he got it. They later became good friends themselves!!! Funny how things work out.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

One of Erma Bombeck's quotes that I never,ever forgot was " Children need love the most when they deserve it the least".
I love the comments from everyone!!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:38 PM

I agree with Charlee too. Make your home a haven for this poor child and make it so he WANTS to be there - then he'll do almost whatever it takes to be allowed to be there - even if he can't roll his eyes anymore! ;)