Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Useless Kitchen Items

Onebyone, you have better self control than I do! Those six loaves of bread would be gone as fast as I could spread butter on them!!!!
    Alyce

My salad spritzer. I was going to be so good about not using too much dressing. I plugged it up the first time I used it. I didn't read the directions..........no herbs or seasonings allowed. Not a fan of just oil and vinegar. I never could get it unplugged to use for something else.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    We have 3 sets of china and what I got after high school has been in the box because I keep forgetting it's there. We eat on paper plates. Ok please don't want to hear from the recycle police. Next time I go up north going to give it to one of the boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy300 View Post
    I have my "good China" from 1970. Decided that we were good enough for it since I no longer entertain, so it has become by every day chine. At least I now get some enjoyment from it.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I picked up one of these somewhere in my flea market days and could not figure out what it was. Later I found it is a "flour wand", for sprinkling flour over your work surface when rolling out dough or such. I guess for people with no fingers?
    I use that tool to sprinkle confectioner's sugar on cookies and cakes. You just dip it into the sugar and then sprinkle away!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
    Did you send #3 to DDs too?!!
    Yes, I did, but they keep sending him back saying he eats too much and makes really bad corny jokes! Lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    High on my list of dumb kitchen items is the sideless cookie sheet I recently puchased. I can't easily grab the pan when I take it out of the oven. Why the heck did I buy it?

What kitchen item have you purchased that turned out to be of no help?
    I have had sideless cookie sheets, made by ware ever, since the 1960's . I love them and can never find them anymore. One of the things I use them for is pizza...getting it on and off of the pizza stone. I use parchment under the dough and it slides right off. I also use them when I make a gingerbread house. I roll the dough right on the sheet and can slide the baked pieces off easily. I still find it better for cookies than the rimmed sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    We have 3 sets of china and what I got after high school has been in the box because I keep forgetting it's there. We eat on paper plates. Ok please don't want to hear from the recycle police. Next time I go up north going to give it to one of the boys.
    I use disposables whenever possible. I detest after meal clean up especially on holidays. The only real thing we use for dinnerware is good coffee cups. I save on energy and water cost, not washing dishes. I did my own research. Six months all disposables, six months using dishes that had to be washed. The water and electric bill went up more then the cost of the disposables. It's a catch 22 so I do what is easier and cheaper for me.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 05-12-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

WOW ! My daughter asked me awhile back 'mom, do you really need all this stuff?" So I began purging. I love my magic bullet, easy to use and clean and small enough to leave on my counter so it is handy. I moved my bread machine to my counter thinking it would encourage me to use it more often. Well, that has not happened. My good dishes are seldom used. one of my mothers sets I inherited went to my son and DIL. The round rubber things that help open jars we received from the local elevator from the owner whose name is Ole. so all our family calls them their Ole ! Years ago I had a set of Wearever pans and with them came an item that I use to pick up hot pans (I freeze soup in small stainless steel pans and then heat them in a larger pan with boiling water it makes fixing a meal easy). I ended up with an extra one so when a friends son has a fire and lost much of his stuff I put the extra one in with lots of other stuff. She said it was so much fun watching him go through the boxes kind of like Christmas for him.
    I gave away some white Correelle cups, the ones that are a bit small and the handle does not completely close on the cup. After that I found the saucers and would have liked the cups back as I would then make pincushions out of them. and since they were white I could make the pincushions in various colors and would give them as gifts. I would glue the cup to the saucer, kind of like the garden art things I make. I had given them to a place called Opportunity Villiage so went back to buy them back but they were gone. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    Onebyone, you have better self control than I do! Those six loaves of bread would be gone as fast as I could spread butter on them!!!!
    No, I don't bake them all at once. I keep the dough frozen to bake as needed. It really saves money and tastes so much better. Bread here is about $3 for good tasting bread. I can make it for about .55 a loaf or pan of rolls even using organic flour.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    watermelon slicer! ......
    Its so funny !
    loving retirement

Blog Entries
    That's too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread View Post
    It makes me happy to de-clutter the kitchen & any other room........even one drawer. Most always there is more
    room for storing the things I really use. Do many of you use your bread machine?
    Pampered Chef has one thing I think every kitchen needs - ( I think it is called fix and mix.) It is
    a tool I use for cooking ground beef in the skillet. (My daughter sells PC)
    I use my bread maker, mostly for mixing and 1st rise.

My bread machine cost $10 at the thrift store and it was like brand new.
    Love it and use it a lot.
    Don't go by recipes, you have to learn to feel the dough to get a good loaf. Mine needs to be slightly sticky. So use more water than the bread book says to use.
    Sometimes I put Craisins in the dough.
    A little practice and you have a great loaf of bread.

I bought this jar opener when I got married 53 years ago. It has outlasted the marriage by 31 years . It is so useful I'd never get rid of it. It really helps since I have RA.
    Name:  IMG_1469.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  86.9 KB

Yep, gave my breadmaker to my daughter as the loaves it made were too small and they tasted too much like store bought bread. I make all my bread by hand, have done for years now, 4 loaves at a time and freeze them. The bread is a much nicer, coarser loaf. Very yummy and so much cheaper. I throw in all sorts of seeds and stuff depending on my mood. Another useless kitchen item?.......my electronic yoghurt maker...don't use it anymore as I make a much nicer yoghurt if I incubate it in an insulated lunch bag with a heat bag for company for 12 hours.
    Last edited by ruby2shoes; 05-13-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    For some silly reason I thought it would be nice to have "good dishes" for every holiday. Now I have two hutches full of dishes I use one day a year. Silly me. I have several sets of Christmas dishes, halloween, winter, Thanksgiving, summer, winter, Easter and what ever. Most of the time now we use the same dishes for everthing. I need to get rid of these.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
    Yep, gave my breadmaker to my daughter as the loaves it made were too small and they tasted too much like store bought bread. I make all my bread by hand, have done for years now, 4 loaves at a time and freeze them. The bread is a much nicer, coarser loaf. Very yummy and so much cheaper. I throw in all sorts of seeds and stuff depending on my mood. Another useless kitchen item?.......my electronic yoghurt maker...don't use it anymore as I make a much nicer yoghurt if I incubate it in an insulated lunch bag with a heat bag for company for 12 hours.
    Recipe??????
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    I have to chime in here at the risk of making myself look like an idiot. The most worthless item I ever purchased was a set of "Eggies". They are little egg-shaped containers that you put egg beaters in, and then boil them, to make faux hard-boiled eggs. I was thinking less calories and cholesterol at the time, that's my only defense. The things never worked - they either fell apart in the boiling water, or the egg beaters oozed out the sides. At least I only wasted ten bucks on them.
    Oh, Lordy, me too! What a waste!

Blog Entries
    love this thread. some of them are funny, some are so true, but I love all the answers
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    cats and dogs -

maybe not dogs - they will clean up some spilled food!

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I picked up one of these somewhere in my flea market days and could not figure out what it was. Later I found it is a "flour wand", for sprinkling flour over your work surface when rolling out dough or such. I guess for people with no fingers?
    I have seen them in thrift stores...always wondered what it was for. Another mystery solved!!
    I quilt, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    I have to chime in here at the risk of making myself look like an idiot. The most worthless item I ever purchased was a set of "Eggies". They are little egg-shaped containers that you put egg beaters in, and then boil them, to make faux hard-boiled eggs. I was thinking less calories and cholesterol at the time, that's my only defense. The things never worked - they either fell apart in the boiling water, or the egg beaters oozed out the sides. At least I only wasted ten bucks on them.
    I got them for mothers day....used them once.......what a joke!
    I quilt, therefore I am.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    My bread machine started making horrible squeaking noises, so I got rid of it. DH just got a popcorn maker thst makes the same noises right out of thr box. Ugh! The most useless thing in the kitchen now is the set of springform pans. Or those teeny muffin pans. Or the blender. Or......
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    I did a partial kitchen purge last Summer when I gave my ex dishes, pots and pans, plus duplicate seasonings and sauces.

I love to cook.

The all time most useless gadget in my kitchen is a Jamie Oliver thingy that is supposed to be a Mortar and Pestle, USELESS.

I have two favourite things in my kitchen, my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer and my chef's knife. When I had the knife professionally sharpened last month the sharpener wanted to buy it. Apparently the company now only makes military and hunting knives. He had never seen a chef's knife and had only one steak knife. I told him it was not for sale or trade.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    I bought this jar opener when I got married 53 years ago. It has outlasted the marriage by 31 years . It is so useful I'd never get rid of it. It really helps since I have RA.
    Name:  IMG_1469.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  86.9 KB
    I had one of these too. Would still have it, but I gave it to my son when he and my dil got their new house. Also, an old ice cream scoop. My jar opener had a red handle

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast