Veggie Garden

Old 04-14-2018, 08:00 PM

lettuce, broccoli, and spinach are in. Please stop snowing so we can get on with the summer veggies. Fruit tree got trimmed today.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:45 PM

Right now, we are getting 12 inches of snow and 40-50 mile an hour winds! I would love to be out in the garden. Have fun.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:52 AM

I wish. We're having a howling blizzard weekend!
Old 04-15-2018, 04:59 AM

I love my veggie garden. But we too are having freezing nights here again tonight. my cold weather crops were planted a month or so ago, and I have broccoli looking pretty good. I planted my garlic last fall, and the green tops are looking strong, I should have about 100 bulbs of garlic come late June! I have also planted onion sets, but until it warms up they won't do much. I just bought some tomato plants, but waiting to plant them until tomorrow, when I HOPE the last chance of a free has past. I leave for a 3 week trip to New Zealand Monday afternoon, so I am going ahead and planting and just hope for the best when I get back! When I return I will plant some pole green beans and a few zucchini and yellow squash plants even though the squash bugs usually decimate my squash plants. Have fun with it. I also grow all my own herbs, chives, oregano, parsley, thyme, sage, tarragon and rosemary and basil.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:15 AM

I plant a large vegetable garden each year but it is too early for Maine. The general rule for us is to plant after the last full moon of May but we had such a wet June last year, I didn’t put my seedlings in the ground until about the second week of June. I’m hoping for a much nicer planting season this year.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

Usually after Mother's Day around here is safe to plant tomatoes. Ground must me at least 50 degrees.

After replacing our water line last November we would be happy to just plant grass seed. Too cold for that too.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:47 PM

well, as usually when we had some 70 degree weather in the 2nd week of March I bought some starts of cabbage, broccoli, caulflower and lettuce and they have been in and out of the house since due to weather. so last week, when it was hitting 80's I went ahead and put them into the ground. And then Sat. the temps dropped 45 degrees and we had wind chills and snow! I did cover them but who knows if they will make it--if not there will be plenty of time to replant. i'm just irritated with myself cause I do this almost every year!
Old 04-25-2018, 05:33 PM

My beans are about 18 inches high, budding flowers. My tomatoes are getting tall and thinning out. My squash, was transplanted about a week ago into larger pots. The stem on the squash are very delicate. Carrots are now about 6 inches tall and have tiny carrots started. My onions are still skinny like spaghetti, but look and smell like onions. I have other beans that I almost killed. I picked up the wrong spray that had vinegar in it and sprayed a couple of them, trying to save them now. I still have to transplant my broccoli into larger pots next week. Hope I get something to eat. lol
Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 PM

After half a century of gardening I'm still learning!I have been in the NE of England for a decade and am just getting used to the season starting about 3wks later than the SE.

I am lucky enough to have an allotment (community garden in America?), which is only 10 mins walk from home. Potatoes, onions, shallots and garlic are in. Fruit trees, bushes and canes are showing new foliage. Brassicas, swedes, beans, squash, courgettes, cucumbers, tomatoes, leeks, beetroot and sweetcorn seeds are in various stages of germination and growth in the greenhouse.

Finally, in the next couple of days, I will put parsnip seeds in the ground and cover with a plank while I'm away for a week. When I come back they should have germinated.

After that, there will be a year of fighting the weather, pigeons, foxes, insects and vandals over a further year of learning how to garden...... but I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing, apart from sewing of course.

Good luck to all gardeners out there, have a good season.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:34 AM

Last weekend I planted some broccoli, b.sprouts, red & green romaine, catnip, German thyme, mint, spinach, and basil. I have a lot of purple tomato plants in small pots that will go out into the large garden when they get a bit bigger. Also have some sweet peppers, zucchini and cucumbers.

Have an order of corn coming soon. My favorite variety "Gotta Have It Corn" -the best! IMO

I have a large garden, so I plant everything 5-feet apart so that I can drive my lawn mower between the plants to keep weeds gone.

I love Springtime!

Forgot to add that we have to enclose the garden with electric netting to keep critters (and my chickens) out.