Be very cautious...

Old 04-20-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
They are everywhere! Used to have problems with my PC, now have a Mac and not once in 4 years so far, knock on wood. Will never go back to PC.
same here!!! I'm cautious, but my computer gives me a warning about leaving to go to dangerous sites!... love my Mac!!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanx for a well placed reminder. We all need to be more cautious
Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
They are everywhere! Used to have problems with my PC, now have a Mac and not once in 4 years so far, knock on wood. Will never go back to PC.
oh munner, I am sorry about your virus. These things make you feel violated.

I, too, have a Mac. My friend convinced me to get MacKeeper to keep my Mac clean. It did catch a Trojan horse once, but otherwise it cleans the cache and keeps it running smooth. When I had a PC I had a lot of trouble with viruses, etc. The last straw was when I opened a file that I had for a long time, and there were big bugs crawling on the screen. That certainly was a dead give-away! Even with my Mac I don't open anything unless I know who it is from and even then, when it is a message from something like ebay, my bank, paypal, or even USPS (that is where the Trojan horse scam came from) I always go to the official site to see if anything is going on and send them a fraud message. We have to be soooooo careful these days!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 AM

I'm a computer systems administrator (among other things in the IT field) which means I handle servers and networks, and sometimes I have to spend a lot of time cleaning up malicious software off of desktop computers.

Nowadays, it's not enough to run just an anti-virus program.

Look at MalwareBytes Anti-malware. The free version is usually more than enough. Most of the garbage out there is more malware (scareware, ransomware, etc) than virus. An Antivirus product won't deal with malware in most cases.

As a general rule: Never pay anyone for something you didn't ask for. scareware and ransomware are what I'm talking about here. You suddenly end up with "something" on your computer, and it's saying there's something bad, and it will remove it if you pay them. Don't. Remove it, and use your AV program and Malware scanner to make sure that all traces are removed.

And please avoid Norton. Out of 20 computers that I remove real viruses from (not malware) easily 17 of them will have up to date Norton products on it. I think they spend significantly more on their marketing than they do on Research and Development.

Microsoft's Security Essentials is working really well for me and my clients. It's also free.

Macs are almost as vulnerable as PCs, if they're used incorrectly. At the end of the day, you can do the least damage to a machine, Mac or PC, by running as a limited or unprivileged user. More often than not, you'll find that Windows has set you up as an Administrator. This is unsafe. Some people will run as a privileged user on a Mac too.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
So, please be very cautious when going on to web-sites such as Pinterest etc. Some of the "pins" may be infected and when you click on to get a recipe or pattern, whatever, you end up infecting your computer. Also, don't think that because you have Norton you're safe. That's what I had and as it was explained to me, they can only protect against known viruses. So, be careful!
I have been running avast free edition and it will block websites if it feels it is a malicious site,wouldnt' trade it for Mcafee or norton
Old 04-20-2013, 02:07 PM

Thanks for this tip! I had not heard of it. I do know that sometimes it is impossible to use the X to close it, they usually want you to click something else, then you install something else -- usually something you do not need or want!

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I use Mimedia AND Dropbox, they do the same thing (back up files) but I feel safer with two!! Both free, BTW.

One thing I learned, when you get something popping up that you don't know what it is (might say Security Alert or whatever) Do NOT click on the "X" to close it - that is how the bad stuff gets into your computer. Go to Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and shut it down from there. Still hard for me to remember to do that.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:07 PM

I have Avast! and Malawares and they have saved me from many viruses and Trojan horses. You're right - there are a LOT on Pinterest! I get messages every time I look through abunch of Pinterest quilty pictures.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the tip. It's good to hear from you, oh munner!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Power Poster

I had more problems with Mac than PC. 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:57 AM

Sorry for your problems. This is not the first time that we have heard Pinterest is not the safest.