Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very Clever Commercials

Very Clever Commercials

Generally, as a rule, I hit the mute button as fast as possible when the commericals come on television, but there have been a few over the years that were very well done.

The was one that came out in the early seventies, that ran like a silent movie. The evil villian has the innocent girl all alone in a cabin and wants her to give in. She yells for help, and a mountie hears this and comes to her aid. Too bad that he arrived just a few seconds too late, because she already drank the Dr. Pepper. I think that this is the most well done ads ever.

Do you remember this one?
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    No, not that one. But there are a few that I find funny. Usually I too MUTE a lot.

Mute? That ins. one with FLO makes me want to scream. Especially the one where she stands like an idiot while the sound system echoes thru my brain...what idiocy is that supposed to represent re insurance? And why does the guy go on his hands& knees? I despise those Progressive ads. I've heard that the ads are supposed to stay in your head so you'll buy. Well, that is one company I will never do business with. And those annoying singing(?) ads by j g went worth! My house knows to grab the remote and hit the surf button, or I might just lose it . TV rage..why not. There are many other categories of rage people blame their bad action on. ( I just raged, didn't i?)

Dont' worry mermaid, we all love to go off on the commercials of this world. There have been so many that are very irritating. My mother never would buy anything from a company that had ads that yelled and screamed.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    oh there are many commercials that are lost on me. I have no idea what they are trying to sell. not one!

I have seen some very good ones. I enjoy the commercials so much, I don't even know what they are trying to sell. The good ones do not air very long.
    I would never buy anything that has an annoying commercial. I don't usually buy anything from commercials.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

There's a local commercial that starts out with someone blowing a whistle. Very irritating. Lots of commercials these days remind me of the old carnival hawkers.
    Lori

I hate the Progressive Insurance commercials also. But I did love the eTrade commercials with the baby. I understand these are being discontinued.
    The everyday kindness of the back roads more than makes up for the acts of greed in the headlines. ----Charles Kuralt

Oh yes, I remember that Dr. Pepper commercial. I'm not crazy for sodas but do enjoy the unique taste of Dr. Pepper.

Remember the song? I'm a Pepper, he's a Pepper, she's a Pepper...

Well, I have to say, I hate the commercials, too, but the guy who drops to his knees is absolutely out of air because he was trying to hold the note until Flo turned the mike off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donnamcr View Post
    I hate the Progressive Insurance commercials also. But I did love the eTrade commercials with the baby. I understand these are being discontinued.
    I'm with all the not liking Progressive ads people. The worst is the one where she's standing with the robot and says "beep bop boop, " or some other nonsense. I can't believe someone gets paid for such stupidity.

The eTrades are also my favorite...especially the one with, "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen." The point of eTrade ads (supposedly) was that they were easy enough for a baby to do. They believe that objective has been achieved, so on they go to other ads. Bet they won't be as effective.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
    Oh yes, I remember that Dr. Pepper commercial. I'm not crazy for sodas but do enjoy the unique taste of Dr. Pepper.

Remember the song? I'm a Pepper, he's a Pepper, she's a Pepper...
    Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too? Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I particularly hate hometown commercials advertising something and the business owner uses his kids or grand kids to say "My dad is the best (whatever).," or "Get your house insurance from my granddad ". I'm sure they want everyone to see their children, but I would not buy their product based on that advertising choice.

Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    Well, I have to say, I hate the commercials, too, but the guy who drops to his knees is absolutely out of air because he was trying to hold the note until Flo turned the mike off.
    WHY? Does that somehow relate to auto insurance? And Flo floating in the air--? I didn't get that one either. I don't try anymore, I just hit a 'surf' button.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
    I particularly hate hometown commercials advertising something and the business owner uses his kids or grand kids to say "My dad is the best (whatever).," or "Get your house insurance from my granddad ". I'm sure they want everyone to see their children, but I would not buy their product based on that advertising choice.
    Don't they get to give the kid money and use it as an expense/tax write-off? All the while dreaming of the kid becoming a ''star'' from the exposure. Oh yeah! We have tons of those in our area.

My favorite commercials are the TD Bank commercials !!! Love them ! I would bank with them anytime because of their hours .

I don't mind the Progressive ads; in fact, some sort of grow on you.
    I do enjoy the Geico ones with the little lizard. He's soooo cute.

Dodee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
    Of all the commercials on TV these are the worst. There is a local car dealer who uses his twin daughters who look like they are only 10 yrs old and the way they are dressed and made up they look like hookers in training. My Dad has been out car shopping -my brother took him to that lot and he found the car he wanted and at a price he could afford. But as soon as the owner came out to talk to him, Dad recognized him and told the guy No Sale and told him how disgusting his commercials are and left the lot. I am so proud of him. : )

The commercials I tend to listen to are the funny ones.

And I especially love the Hershey Kisses ones - I will listen to them year after year - love those kisses!

Quote Originally Posted by Oistin View Post
    My favorite commercials are the TD Bank commercials !!! Love them ! I would bank with them anytime because of their hours .
    Oistin is that the commercial where the mother and her little girl is holding her piggy bank and wants to buy a doll house and they are talking to a recorder message about mortgage loans..........that one is cute and so true

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    Mute? That ins. one with FLO makes me want to scream. Especially the one where she stands like an idiot while the sound system echoes thru my brain...what idiocy is that supposed to represent re insurance? And why does the guy go on his hands& knees? I despise those Progressive ads. I've heard that the ads are supposed to stay in your head so you'll buy. Well, that is one company I will never do business with. And those annoying singing(?) ads by j g went worth! My house knows to grab the remote and hit the surf button, or I might just lose it . TV rage..why not. There are many other categories of rage people blame their bad action on. ( I just raged, didn't i?)
    That commercial makes me want to punch a hole in the wall and judging by their facebook page, other people feel the same way. I hate it beyond any kind of hate I've ever felt in my life (not kidding). My kids know to automatically mute the tv when it comes on (if they are controlling the remote). They quit airing it for a while but now it's on more channels than ever. I can't even leave the tv to get a bite to eat or drink or anything or that blasted commercial will come on and I have to go racing to the remote. So at night when I'm the only one watching I mute it if I step away from it.

eta: apparently the idiot goes down on his hands and knees because the long drawn out yell is painful to him too. I wouldn't want to be that guy walking out on the street-he probably gets mobbed by angry people.

I've done something I've never done in my lifetime and that is to email a company concerning their tv ad. The Breyer commercial where the parents are eating some new kind of ice cream and the 6 year old is asking for some. The selfish parents don't give in, saying it's for grownups. Horrible.

Not sure why, but the Time Warner Commercial with the bride needing something old and the bridesmaid ripping out the dsl modem is annoying. Very stupid.

Between Flo and Jan (some car commercial, Camry I think) it's time for both of them to retire. I could write better commercials. GEEZ they're irritating!

Blog Entries
    yep, I sometimes wonder why companies actually pay ad companies to come up with these dumb ideas. They cost a lot and shame on anyone who pays for this mess. I recently emailed one of our local t.v. stations concerning the tight dresses with cut outs and long, long necklaces they must now wear. We are going backwards decades! why.? of course they thanked me for my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post
    That commercial makes me want to punch a hole in the wall and judging by their facebook page, other people feel the same way. I hate it beyond any kind of hate I've ever felt in my life (not kidding). My kids know to automatically mute the tv when it comes on (if they are controlling the remote). They quit airing it for a while but now it's on more channels than ever. I can't even leave the tv to get a bite to eat or drink or anything or that blasted commercial will come on and I have to go racing to the remote. So at night when I'm the only one watching I mute it if I step away from it.

eta: apparently the idiot goes down on his hands and knees because the long drawn out yell is painful to him too. I wouldn't want to be that guy walking out on the street-he probably gets mobbed by angry people.
    The commercial is actually a take on the fact that the guy is the WWF announcer and he always does a long drawn out "Let's Get ready to rumble" and they are doing a "Bundle," which rhymes with "rumble.' It is pretty ridiculous, since he's almost running out of breath.

Most are pretty silly. The new Apple iphone 5 commercial is interesting and some of the Farmers. The new Audi one is pretty weird with the metronome movement - it took a while to figure out what they were doing. The ED ones can get really esoteric, especially with the couple being in separate bathtubs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast