Visit to Maine

Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 AM

Default Visit to Maine

My husband and I will be flying into Boston this week and then driving to Maine for a vacation. We have never been to this part of the United States. I am looking forward to it as vacations have been very far a few between for us. We farm and milked cows for many years so it was always difficult to get away.

What would people from that part of the country recommend we see and do? I do want to do the history trail in Boston, but beyond that we do not have much planned for the week that we will be there. We will probably stick near the coast, but we are very open to what we should do and see.

Pat
Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 AM

I can recommend a very nice quilt shop called Knights on US 1, around the southern Maine shore. Now if you are going for great prices and volume, you may want to Google "Mardens". There are several in Maine. Basically the chain buys up all kinds of close out merchandise, etc. Don't be put off by the buildings and the general merchandise jumble. Most of these stores (but not all) have a large fabric section. If memory serves me right, they were selling at under $6.00 a yard last year. I can vouch for the fabric depts. in the Scarborough and Sanford Maine stores. Have heard there is also a nice quilt shop in Sanford Maine, Kennebunkport and in Freeport. Maybe someone else on QB can give you more info. If not, just Google. It's beautiful country there. Have a safe trip and enjoy your stay.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:20 AM

I lived in Boston for many years and there is no end of things to do. However, one of the prettiest drives in the world (in my humble, unbiased opinionated opinion) is along Rte. 1 in Maine. It follows the coastline, and at least used to have ample places to pull over to get photos or just bask in the beauty. I was in Boston in May and it was resplendent in a glory of spring flowers.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:25 AM

I love Maine. Spent a summer at Booth Bay Harbor camping. Also Acadia Nat Park is pretty. Just breathing fresh air in Conn, VT, Maine, NH is great. Have fun and find a few quilt shops along the way. Get off the Interstates and down onto State Highways. Hugs and wish I was with you.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:31 PM

I second Acadia Nat'l Park, at this time of year it will be lovely. You might also want to try a whale watching boat trip (I know they don't have whales in MN!!) Lots of neat antique stores along Rt 1 in Maine. Visit LL Bean's store too.

Don't be put off by the southern end of Rt 1, it is very commercial. It gets better as you go further north.

On your way from Boston, you can stop at Salem, very historic, or Gloucester (scenic). The whole North SHore of MA is nice.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 PM

I also love Maine and suggest a drive up route 1, but be ready for some cool weather. Almost any of the coastline areas make for nice pictures and relaxing views. Plymouth Rock is near Boston and there are so many historic places, you can certainly pick up some flyers in your hotel.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:50 PM

I love Halibut point in I think Gloucester. Many neat fishing towns...Newburyport is also a favorite both in MA. Main Acadia but its far up maine.