Volunteering

Old 09-30-2018, 06:58 PM

Congratulations! I volunteer with my church quilting group and a group called 'Bundles of Love.'

I can sew at home for my church group and I help out on Tuesday mornings if I am available. I do sew sometimes at home for Bundles of Love and, in the summer, I host middle schoolers at the warehouse through a church program for 4 or 5 Thursday mornings and, occasionally, help at events at the warehouse or off site. I also 'volunteer' by helping my niece with her daughters.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:52 AM

Congratulations!! It's people like you who make this world a better place!! Well deserved!!
Old 10-01-2018, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations, Nan!
I work at a food bank once a week. We help people pick out groceries and try to help with menu planning. It sure makes me grateful for all I have.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
...It sure makes me grateful for all I have.
This is how I feel about it, also. There have been times that I've been on the receiving end.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:59 AM

Congratulations on the honor. I'm sure many of us have found that we get as much as we give from volunteering. It's a way of life for my husband and I.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:23 AM

Congratulations! It’s an award that is well deserved. Thank you for you kind and generous heart as well a giving nature! What a blessing you are to the community.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM

Congratulations on the award! I know that most people do not do their volunteer work for an award but because they have a generous, servant heart....but it is also encouraging to be recognized and acknowledged.

My parents modeled service as I was growing up and I also taught my children to volunteer without expecting anything in return...just the satisfaction of doing good for someone or something.

Being a pastor's wife there was always some need in church, but I always felt that that fell in with my duties as his wife. Volunteering for me was seeing a need in other places also. Now that I am an old widow, I continue to volunteer. For many years I have volunteered at local food bank, once a week clerk at a non-profit fair trade store, visit some elderly friend in the rest homes, take others to medical appointments, shopping for some that can't shop, teach a sewing/quilting class, ( i provide most of the fabrics from my stash).
Old 10-02-2018, 07:50 AM

Volunteer at a bike shop, bike festivals, community band, rehabbing houses, historical museum, hand crank demos. I enjoy teaching in small numbers.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:47 AM
mim

we really volunteers!! think of all the parks, churches, shelters and meals served and delivered.!!
After I retired I went to Russia as a volunteer for the Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg. No one volunteers in a Soviet controlled country.
There were 12 of us -- mostly college students fron all over Europe. We weredigging dirt to restore a Peter the Great fortress. WE were such an odd happening that a TV station came to interview and film us working. We waved our shovels and invited people watching us to come join us. Only one kid did!! No one cleaned up parks, grass growing in the sidewalks.

It was a real difference when I came back thru non Red countries -- how clean and cared foreverything was.

I volunteer now at our local library-- only volunteers -- no paid staff. Some summers I also volunteer at the lighthouse museum. There is so much need that all interests can find a place

Last edited by mim; 10-03-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-03-2018, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations QuiltnNan.

I only make quilts for kids in my county that are removed from their homes for parents using, drugs, abuse, alcoholism.
This year I have made at least 80 quilts from Daughter's and my scraps. Using my battings, my stash for backings, borders and bindings. All expenses on me. I love quilting and this gives me a good reason to keep making quilts.

I have 2 small dogs, a cat and a parakeet and a Husband, no time for anything else.