Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Want Ideas on getting a pet for a disabled Parent >

Want Ideas on getting a pet for a disabled Parent

Want Ideas on getting a pet for a disabled Parent

Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Default Want Ideas on getting a pet for a disabled Parent

My Mom Passed away suddenly a week ago and I know my Dad would do well with a cat, he is disabled she was his care giver, do you think it is a good idea to surprise him with one? He had mentioned in the past he would like one but Mom had her hands full taking care of him and said no. I am willing to do the litter box and feeding. Your opinions please.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:33 PM

If your father is mobile, I would take him to your local humane society and let him find one he would like. Yes, he will greatly improve with a companion. I believe my mother lived longer to take care of her little dog.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:37 PM

Dad is not moblile and our nearest Humane society's are both 50 miles away he can not do that, My brother is here for a couple weeks and He is good at picking out good pets I would give him that job.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

I believe a cat would be wonderful. Consideration should be made about the cats disposition and your fathers tolerance of younger vs older, lap cat vs playful, etc...be sure to post a picture of the new addition when you find the right one!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Hmm. A cat and someone who is not mobile. I own two cats, both females, with very diffrent temperments and personalities. My Absynian/Cornish Rex mix would not make a good pet for a disabled person. She is not affectionate, very spunky, very mischevious, and has been known to get herself into some precarious situations...like when she climbed my curtains and got on top of my top kitchen cabinets. She figured out how to get up there, but she couldn't figure out how to get down so she just paced and meowed until we came to her rescue. My 7 month old long hair would be a disabled person's best friend. She's lazy, very lazy. And as long as she has food, water, and litter she is fairly maintance free. She loves to snuggle, nuzzle, and sleep with me. She also likes to lick me. She doesn't claw my furniture like the other cat does, and she doesn't climb to places where she can't get down. However, she will hang out in the windows during the day.

My advice would be to look for a cat that is possibly older and more mellow as kittens are too mischevious and playful. One that is loving but not demanding.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:12 PM

I also believe you should look for an older cat. Sometimes our paper will have an ad looking for a home for a pet as they have to move. I was lucky....I got two cats from the humane soc....I wanted "lap cats" and they had to get along.
I brought them home over night for a try. After they checked out the area, they both jumped in my lap! Somehow they knew the needs I had! We had many good years. One was 1 yr old, the other 7... Good luck in finding that special cat. They can be very special!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 PM

I agree I want an older cat for him One that will be a lap kitty and bed partner. A kitten is more than he could handle. So a mellow older cat is what we need.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Try to get a cat that doesn't shed too much and/or has lots of dander. We have two cats. One is a small short-hair, very dainty, who barely sheds and has no dander. The other is a stockier cat with a double-thick short-hair coat that sheds year-round and has lots of dander. The latter is a lap cat, but her dander gives everyone problems, and petting her can mean a cloud of loose hairs in the air (even with daily brushing).
Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 PM

I will have to find a declawed cat for him too. He is on blood thinners and bleeds easily but we can take care of that part.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 AM

If you can't find a declawed cat, you can get a Peddi Paws and file the tips of their nails. Neither of my cats are declawed, and they do not scratch people without provocation (and a warning). I have a step-nephew who had a bad habit of choking things, my oldest cat did claw him when he grabbed her around the throat. Now she hisses at him and if he gets too close she scratches. My younger cat just goes and hides when she's annoyed or agitated. However, the cats do require a scratching post. Now you can find ones that file the cats nails for you!