Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
WARNING! Anyone who has amandasgramma in their address book. >

WARNING! Anyone who has amandasgramma in their address book.

WARNING! Anyone who has amandasgramma in their address book.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM

I caught a virus from this board it is called Quilting Pox. I have discovered that there is no cure.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Gramma Nan, me too. Also the Vintage sewing machine pox, has me itching all day til I check craigslist, and here a billion times!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM

And Ebay...
Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 PM

It's an unfortunate part of being online, viruses.

This is probably a good chance for everyone to have a wee check of their computer security.

Make sure your virus software is a good one, and up to date. Make sure that you regularly update your browser (internet explorer, chrome, firefox, whatever it is you use). They often send out security patches but you must do the updates to get them. If you recieve an email with an attachment, even if it promises to be the funniest email you've ever seen, don't open it until you've checked where it came from. Remember if your friend gets a virus, it will take control of her computer and send itself out to everyone in her address book. Which means you won't get a virus from looking at dodgy sites or ordering "pleasure enhancers" from Thailand, you will get it from a friend. :-)
Don't be afraid to delete emails before opening them if you're at all suspicious. The world won't end, your friend won't stop talking to you, and it's highly unlikely the secrets to world peace or the cure for cancer will be contained therein. ;)
Old 07-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Power Poster

Last week someone hacked into my sons Facebook and email and changed his passwords and who knows what else since he couldn't get into see :shock:

Facebook has been having lots of issues, and of course links are and attachments are always risky :roll:
Old 07-21-2010, 02:55 AM

A while back 'someone' said to put a bogus email address in your address book that you know won't go through. Make it be the first one.

Like [email protected]

IF someone gets your email address book and uses it, you should get a notification that the email sent to [email protected] didn't go through. You'll know right then that someone got your book and did something wrong.

Anyone ever heard of this? Heard of it working?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:12 AM

I didn't get any notification. Yes, someone hijacked my e-mails.....NO, I do not believe it came from this forum!!!! My SiL used my computer last month....SHE had it in her e-mail address. All of a sudden everyone in her address list started getting e-mails that are bogus (this one says I'm in England or somewhere and I have my passport, but I'm out of money, please send money). VERY frustrating!!! Sad part, I didn't have my e-mail contacts written down anywhere....and I may have lost contact with friends now!!!!!

SO -- BIG hints:

1) make sure your virus protection is on (however, virus protection wouldn't have helped this one.

2) write down all your e-mail contacts e-mail addresses

3) Let all your friends know to NEVER respond to an e-mail that says what that scammer said in this letter.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I had this happen to me twice. I read somewhere that the person affected chose to wipe her contact list and not keep them in there. I add some when I want to reply but I go back and delete them from my list from time to time. I had scads of addresses in my contact list from people asking for templates. So I felt really really bad when this happened. Now I manage my list and keep it small or empty just so this can't happen again.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:39 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I didn't get any notification. Yes, someone hijacked my e-mails.....NO, I do not believe it came from this forum!!!! My SiL used my computer last month....SHE had it in her e-mail address. All of a sudden everyone in her address list started getting e-mails that are bogus (this one says I'm in England or somewhere and I have my passport, but I'm out of money, please send money). VERY frustrating!!! Sad part, I didn't have my e-mail contacts written down anywhere....and I may have lost contact with friends now!!!!!

SO -- BIG hints:

1) make sure your virus protection is on (however, virus protection wouldn't have helped this one.

2) write down all your e-mail contacts e-mail addresses

3) Let all your friends know to NEVER respond to an e-mail that says what that scammer said in this letter.
Hi Dee, another board user had this exact same thing a while back - I was in her email address book and got the email saying she was in London and to send money - I know her well enough to know that it was not true so didn't click on anything and have had no trouble but I know that she had a lot of trouble afterwards sorting out her email account. I'll go and PM her and ask her to read this thread. Maybe she can help with the benefit of her experience. :-D
Old 07-23-2010, 03:28 AM

This is an option you might consider before opening any email you didn't expect to receive. I also like the idea of an empty address book and the incorrect email address that Quiltinghere mentioned.
I received a scam email. My browser sorted it into my spam box. I didn't open it. I went to the search field (not url line, the browser search field) and typed in the title on the email. I got lots of hits on the search response page. It is a known scam email. I deleted it without opening it.
Sorry for anyone who gets hit by the bad guys.