Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
washing machine recommendations >

washing machine recommendations

washing machine recommendations

Old 02-02-2020, 01:32 PM

Last year my Maytag washer of 33 years died! I was so upset. It was a top loader, agitator, multi-water level machine. I wanted just the same thing but couldn't find it. We got a Speed Queen Commercial Heavy Duty washer, model AWN632SP226TWO1. It basically has two water levels. One medium and one which is a full fill (like my old washer). I don't have to hold down a button to fill, I just press the 'Deep Fill' button. It sounds very much like the one Bonnie JP has. We also paid a little over $1000. We thought about the Maytag (more water level options) but my husband was sold on the 25 year warranty. This should last us until we are well into our 90's!!! It has several different cycle options. If the Eco cycle is chosen it only uses cold water and doesn't fill all the way---so I don't use it. I have been very satisfied. The agitator seems to do a good job. There are two different kind of agitation systems and we got the one that was like the old, traditional one. It is louder, but now I don't even think about it. Hopefully I won't have to buy a new one anytime soon. Good luck on your choice.
Jean
Old 02-02-2020, 01:38 PM

Here is a discussion from Nov. 2018
Need new washing machine, reviews on those big enough for queen size quilts

A lot of the comments then remain the same now.

Just like Tartan, mine is old, and I'm hoping I won't need a new one very soon. If / when I do, I may just go to the local used appliance store and get one from there. As long as parts are still available, I like the old ones. For now, I'm liking my very old top loading Kenmore set.

Last edited by mindless; 02-02-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

I just got a new Maytag washer and dryer. I always buy a set. Jan.15.2020. They replace ones we bought 13 yrs. ago. Even on deep water setting it uses very little water. The clothes do come out cleaner and smells fresh. No soap residue.

They are made by Whirpool as are Whirpool, GE, Amana and one other. They are made in Ohio. I always buy made in U.S.A. when possible.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Actually this isn't quite true. Some manufacturers have responded to consumer complaints and have started adding the full-tub feature back. This is one of the reasons why Speed Queen is at the top of my list.

From an article from The Washington Post, dated Jan 29, 2020: "The classic (Speed Queen) TC5 Washer “fills the tub full of water like what Grandma’s machine would do.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...mments-wrapper

The website of my local Speed Queen dealer lists 4 different models, 3 of which have as a top feature "Full Tub Wash & Rinse fills the entire tub with water to achieve maximum cleanliness". The 4th model has this as an optional feature.
Thanks for this info. The checking I did was a few yrs ago. Thankfully my old set is still going but will keep the Speed Queen in mind.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:14 PM

We ended up getting the Speed Queen TC5000. One of the first things the salesman started with was "highest ratings" and I stopped him right there. I said "I'm not at all interested in ratings because ratings include items I'm not interested in, such as energy efficiency and water-saving features. I want a tub that will fill." He immediately said he knew exactly what I wanted and took us directly to the SQ. We looked at all the SQ models and a couple of Maytags, but I had done a ton of research last night and was pretty set on the SQ. This is one of the areas where YouTube shines - there are a lot of videos out there where people film an entire wash cycle of their washing machine, so you can see how full it gets, how it agitates, etc.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:41 PM

I was involved last week on replacing a door seal for a front loader Whirplool. $150. for the part. It was a huge and compicated part so I don't fault them for that ,But not a cheap repair at all.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:11 PM

I bought an Amana top loader set from Lowe's 2 years ago..fills up, rinses well, and the clothes are almost dry when you take them out it spins so well. It's made in the USA, so that's a plus. The only thing that I dislike about it is there is no way to add fabric softener without watching it for the rinse cycle, then stopping the machine and add it manually, but I've adapted. Other than that, I'm very happy with mine.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
I have done some checking just in case I'll need a set. The person I talked to at Sears said there are no longer machines that fill "all the way". Rules from EPA, conservation ??? who knows but manufactures all have to comply with no extra water.
I laughed at this one. Must be the same salesperson that told me years ago, you can't do just a cold water wash on any of our machines. This was at Sears, also. I looked at the 20 year old and said, just don't turn your water faucet on. He turned beet red, probably didn't sort colors either. So if machines don't give you an extra large load to the top, how does it save water when you have to do another load or maybe two, of clothes? My first machine set were Westinghouse front loaders W/D, bought them used. Loved them.

But when we moved south they were old so, bought top loader here and have had them 49 years, 3 different ones. We have a 10 yr old Whirlpool now. No complaints except for the fact they have no removable lint traps. Makes things difficult when I want to make raggedy quilts. Other that that, I like it, does a great job, has 5 levels (1 is extra large). It's an inexpensive model but does have a porcelain tub, which I wanted. Am hoping one day they will put a lint trap back in machines. Had 2 GE's with large ones that sat on top of the agitator. They even had mini baskets that fit over the agitator, to do very tiny loads.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-13-2020 at 03:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-12-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Needles View Post
if machines don't give you an extra large load to the top, how does it save water when you have to do another load or maybe two, of clothes?
Exactly my thoughts! The people who come up with these rules never consider the unintended consequences.

Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Must be the same salesperson that told me years ago, you can't do just a cold water wash on any of our machines. I looked at the 20 year old and said, just don't turn your water faucet on. He turned beet red.
Lol this reminded me of a great story told by the wonderfully funny Jeanne Robertson. It's 5 minutes long and well worth your time, I promise you will laugh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmQEOZOqTU

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-13-2020 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Exactly my thoughts! The people who come up with these rules never consider the unintended consequences.

Lol this reminded me of a great story told by the wonderfully funny Jeanne Robertson. It's 5 minutes long and well worth your time, I promise you will laugh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmQEOZOqTU
Thank you, I love to watch her and hadn't seen that one. I have to admit, I've done the same thing after certain 'events' happen. Doing change, for one. Yes, since I may even be older than her, we do need to 'teach' at times.