Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: waterbed sewing question

waterbed sewing question

not sure how I am going to alter some sheets that I got for my mom and dad. They have a waterbed. I know that you need to have the top and bottom sewn together. but im not sure how I am going to attach the corner sections to keep the sheets on the bed. thinking since sheets are now made for deep beds that the elastic might actually keep the sheets on the bed since they are deep ones. those of you that have waterbeds, how would you alter them? i have looked it up on pintrist and on google but cant seem to find a good tutorial. Any suggestions?
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I used regular king size sheets on my water bed.

When I had a waterbed, I sewed 2 flat sheets together across the bottom. As I recall, the rest just got tucked under. If you have a fitted sheet, you can just attach the top sheet across the bottom of of it--leaving the corners unattached to the top sheet. I think that is what I did for my son back then--it's been 15-20 yrs since we got rid of the W bed.

I use 2 flat sheets King size on mine. Had to trim a bit on the sides.

Years ago before the deep sheets I sewed some elastic diagonally across from the side to the end. I found it easier to use flat sheets and didn't bother to sew them together. They stayed tucked just fine.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

I used regular sheets on mine , for the bottom sheet I sewed extra fabric in each corner so the would stay on the mattress.
    Freedom to speak is a gift ;please don't take it from us..

I just used two king flat sheets on mine, tucked the bottom sheet in all around and it stayed just fine.

Waterbed sheets are attached for convenience but not absolutely necessary. Once tucked in, the weight of the water usually keeps everything nice and tight.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
    Years ago before the deep sheets I sewed some elastic diagonally across from the side to the end. I found it easier to use flat sheets and didn't bother to sew them together. They stayed tucked just fine.
    This is what I did. Found the sheets at St. Vinney's, and they must be quite old. My mattress is not that thick, but to thick for this fitted bottom. So I sewed a piece of elastic across the corner about 12 inches from the corner seam. Works well.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

thanks for the ideas. i knew that if i asked here I could get some answers.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Waterbed sheets are only attached to each other in the middle of the foot of the bed. They do not have the corners sewn together. In the corners they have elastic bands that plastic bars slide into to hold the sheets in place. The plastic bars run against the sides of the frame so it holds the sheets in place.
    I also use deep pocket king sheets (king waterbed) and they never come undone.
    I can go up and measure the seam on my waterbed sheets and can take pictures if you would like.
    PM me for more info and pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
    I just used two king flat sheets on mine, tucked the bottom sheet in all around and it stayed just fine.
    That is how I made ours. I sure miss that bed. It was always warm...especially in those cold Iowa winter nights.

Quote Originally Posted by nvb50 View Post
    I used regular king size sheets on my water bed.
    I use regular CA King sheets on my waterbed. The bed is a CA King and I have no problems. I don't keep the mattress tightly filled with water cause we don't like it completely filled. I just make sure that the bottom fitted sheet is rolled under the mattress fairly good. I don't like a top sheep sewn to the bottom so I just tuck the bottom and about a foot up on the side. They never come loose. I do like the deeper pockets in the fitted one. Besides if the sheets are sewn together they are harder to get in the washer and harder to fold.

You are bring back memories. When I would make mine, I would use King sized sheets. Sew the top sheet to the bottom sheet, but NOT all the way across the bottom. I used to leave between 5 to 8 inches open on each end (just like the store bought sheets). I also used to add elastic straps on the under side of each corner (this helps hold them on as the water moves around). Also remember to place the top sheet facing down when you sew the two sheets together. Good luck

I used regular sheets on my waterbed. Just used the elastic suspenders to keep them tucked.
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bed-sheet-straps
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    I would think two sheets sewn together would be very difficult to handle.

I too used regular sheets. In fact I bought one set that was stitched together, and unstitched them. I didn't want that much underneath