Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: As we age.....

Blog Entries
    Indeed, as we age we do become more comfortable with life. I received this by e-mail and want to share the words..

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I have aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I don't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and then sleep til noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50's or 60's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love....I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful, but there again, some of life is just as well forgotton. I eventually remember the important things. Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet get hits by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turn grey, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. As I grow older, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been or worrying about what will be.

beautiful & soo true
    dar

Blog Entries
    REally enjoyed that read. Thanks so much.

Blog Entries
    Love it, so true! Thanks for writing that.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Bravesimo !!!!!!!!! Well said. Thanks for sharing.

I don't mind getting old. . . .what are the choices??

Amen. Used to have an elderly gentleman at one of the places I worked when I was in my 40s and when you would ask him how he was doing he also said okay, beats the alternative.

mltquilt

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Bravesimo !!!!!!!!! Well said. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you! :thumbup: :thumbup: