Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Weird Childhood Misconceptions

Blog Entries
    "How Great Thou Art" was "I'll Break Thou Arm"
    I wanted to know why "walking a mile in his shoes" was so bad. Were they too small? Causing blisters?

Quote Originally Posted by sue z q View Post
    We thought that was "bringing in the cheese". Also couldn't understand why my friend kept moving around as we sang "please, please be still" (peace, peace be still).

One more: I thought if you had a cyclone fence around your yard it would keep the cyclones out.

Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
    When I was little I was obsessed with animals/pets (still am). Sometimes when we would be out together (I would have been about 4). My father would say, "Stand still and wait here, I am going to see a man about a dog". Each time I would be disappointed when he would appear without the dog. Took me at least 'til I was 6 to work out he was just going off to use the toilet......
    This reminds me of what my mama would say when I was a little girl. We lived in the country and did not have an indoor bathroom, only an outhouse. Occasionally, mama would say, "Well, I'm going to visit Mrs. Jones" when she was headed for the outhouse. This confused me terribly because we really did have a Mrs. Jones in our community who attended the same church we did, but she and mama were not really close friends. I just couldn't understand why mama would want to go visit her. I know I probably asked a hundred times why she needed to go see Mrs. Jones. It took me several years to figure that one out.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl View Post
    I have always loved to sing.... even as a small child. Before I could read.....I clearly remember belting out "bringing in the sheets.... bringing in the sheets....We shall come rejoicing bringing in the sheets." lol

I used to help my mom hang our laundry on the clothes line so this was not so unusual to me. ;-)
    For me, being the animal lover that I have always been, it was "Bringing in the sheep!"

Ok, who's old enough to remember the accordion player on Lawrence Welk? I thought he could see me through the tv and I called him my boyfriend. I'd wave and blow kisses to him whenever he played.
    Dance like no one is watching....
    Quilt like there's no tomorrow....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBelly View Post
    Ok, who's old enough to remember the accordion player on Lawrence Welk? I thought he could see me through the tv and I called him my boyfriend. I'd wave and blow kisses to him whenever he played.
    Myron Florn...I loved your memory. I just enjoyed seeing him play the accordion.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Blog Entries
    My youngest son, at age 8 or so, believed that when you got your driver's license, they gave you a car to drive. Lol!

This one wasn't mine but a childhood friend of DD. He was part Native American & evidently he'd seen on TV or movies or someplace that back in the day, they'd put their ear to the ground & hear trains or the Cavalry or whatever coming. So he thought if he put his ear on the street he could hear his dad's car coming home from work. It was too cute!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My grandmother kept me busy for hours chasing birds with a salt shaker.
    I also believed those lights in the tubes in radios were a city the dj was talking from.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I was afraid to go to California, because I just knew it was going to fall off and slide into the ocean.
    ABCDEFG

Blog Entries
    When we were just little kids my father told us that if we stepped on a black bird we would find a walnut inside. The 4 of us kids spent HOURS trying to step on blackbirds.
    We were also told that dragon fly's could sew your ears up. We always covered our ears when we saw one.

I thought wedding rings contained magic that made women pregnant.
    Dance like no one is watching....
    Quilt like there's no tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBelly View Post
    I thought he was a sailor because of the way the accordian straps crossed his shoulders, in my childhood mind like the top of a sailor's suit. Years later, when I was a teenager, I met him and told him the story.
    Lynne

Blog Entries
    I remember watching "I Love Lucy" and I couldn't understand how they got Little Ricky because they slept in separate beds! I asked my mom and she just said " They push the beds together when they aren't on TV"!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
    When I was little I was obsessed with animals/pets (still am). Sometimes when we would be out together (I would have been about 4). My father would say, "Stand still and wait here, I am going to see a man about a dog". Each time I would be disappointed when he would appear without the dog. Took me at least 'til I was 6 to work out he was just going off to use the toilet......
    I had a boss (man from Columbia, South America) that always said "I have to see a man about a horse" - - - -

Power Poster
    I must have been 12 or so before I realized it was "manure" - not "barnure"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I must have been 12 or so before I realized it was "manure" - not "barnure"
    That makes more sense

My 2-yr-old grandson lives in the Dallas area, and when they had the day a few weeks ago with several tornadoes in the area, he came home from his daycare center telling his parents about the "tomato sirens".

When I was young there was a kid's show on TV in the Kansas City area in which the host would come close to the camera and say, "I see you at home, Kathy, and Jimmy and Tommy," etc. I was old enough to know she couldn't really, but it still gave me pause. Now we can do two-way "face time" with iPhones, and my grandson knows I can see him when he can see me in there.

I remember my parent's 1954 (in 1963-64) Ford car being a 3 speed on the column. I thought the entire time you drove you were shifting gears. In my mind it was a continuous shifting motion. I would have been about 5 years old then.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
    Myron Florn...I loved your memory. I just enjoyed seeing him play the accordion.
    Me too! He once passed through our little town on a tour. He didn't play or anything, just sort of made a stop and waved at everyone. At the time he was the biggest celebrity I'd ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMama View Post
    When I was six and had just learned to read, I found a box of "sanitary napkins" in my older sister's half of our closet. I thought that if they were "sanitary", then they must be for really special occasions. But then I couldn't understand why my mother was so horrified when I brought out that box of special napkins to put on the table when we were having company for dinner!
    Oh that is sooo funny. I think I just woke up housemate laughing.

I have always loved thunder storms. Could be because my mother told me when it thundered it was the angels moving the furniture in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    My 2-yr-old grandson lives in the Dallas area, and when they had the day a few weeks ago with several tornadoes in the area, he came home from his daycare center telling his parents about the "tomato sirens".

When I was young there was a kid's show on TV in the Kansas City area in which the host would come close to the camera and say, "I see you at home, Kathy, and Jimmy and Tommy," etc. I was old enough to know she couldn't really, but it still gave me pause. Now we can do two-way "face time" with iPhones, and my grandson knows I can see him when he can see me in there.

I remember that show.. She looked through the magic mirror.
    Romper Room!!! that's what it was. :-) Ran from 1953 to 1994. I don't remember my kids watching it though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4