Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What book are you reading now? >

What book are you reading now?

What book are you reading now?

Old 01-26-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by wordpaintervs View Post
I like John Grisham and Jeanette Oak also, but have gotten involved with collecting and reading the Robyn Carr books called the Virgin River series. (At least 13 of them) that focus on a area of California near Fortuna . It is a small forrested area with a lake and cabins, and has a combo of romance and adventure. I am enjoying getting to meet all the characters and the interaction over the years that come and go. The area was named Virgin River and is a real small community that grows some when tourist come and rent the cabins to fish and/or hunt. I've really enjoyed them. Collecting them from Amazon.com, sometimes for a penny, so it becomes a $4 book and worth every penny.
I do want to someday obtain Killing Lincoln and seeing what that is about. Have lots of quilting and knitting books as well.
I loved Killing Lincoln! It gets very exciting and I couldn't put it down. Read it in two days! Also, loved the movie called Lincoln. Terrific photography and acting.
The Killing Lincoln movie will be on Nat Geo Feb. 17th. Saw that on O'Reilly the other night. Ready now to get Killing Kennedy. Loving this thread!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:05 PM

I am currently reading Winston Churchill:An Intimate Portrait by Violet Bonham Carter. Her father was H.H. Asquith. She first met Churchill when she was a young girl and admired him even then. Also have read Citizens of London by Lynne Olson. (Nonfiction) The main Americans discussed were W. Averell Harriman, Edward R. Morrow, and John Gilbert Winant (he replaced Joseph P. Kennedy as the ambassador to U.K.) Dwight Eisenhower is also discussed in the book. A very interesting history read. Also read The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough. The Johnstown flood took place May 31, 1889 in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Well over 2,000 people died that day.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 PM

I like many of the books and authors already mentioned. I usually get them from the library. I also listen to books on tape while on the road. I buy books from 'Simple Truths". two of the best ones are "The Dash" (about how you live your life - the dash is the line on your tombstone between your birth and death) and The other is "First thing every morning by Lewis Timberlake. other favorites are "Talking to Heaven" by James Van Praagh and "Heaven is for Real".
So I read, quilt, garden, crotchet, listen to comforting music and try to find good TV shows.
Lost my husband over 13 years ago, began seeing someone 4 years ago. His funeral was yesterday. so will have more time for my hobbies and some travel and kids and grandchildren.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM

Forgot - I have an uncle that wrote "Birding from a tractor Seat". and now his daughter who was a teacher and now a trucker (drives semi's) has written a book "Semi-Serious". It is about her experiences on the road. Hard to put the book down. I certainly do not want that occupation !
Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 PM

I just finished a true story"January First, a Child's Descent into Madness" by Michael Schofield. It is about a five year old and the struggle the family went through trying to get mental help for their child.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:15 PM

I'm reading library ebooks Michael Crichton Congo (I'm trying to read all of his books). Plus I'm reading, No easy day by Mark Owen. Both are great books. I have gotten into the library ebooks, which saves me a lot of money. They have a fairly good selection. No late fees and if you don't mind 6 months or so old it is great.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 PM

Jan, have you read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon? It is historical romance with time travel. I have the whole series and have read it a couple times. There is another book comming out later this year in this same series.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
When I'm 'down' (usually in the winter months), I read historical romance novels; I know, a ridiculously mind-numbing worthless pasttime, but that's the point. I guess I like that the women are usually strong and overcome the limitations of their society at the time.

Other than that, I read a lot related to my passions: quilting, cooking, and cottage life.

Jan in VA
Old 01-26-2013, 05:18 PM

I'm on the second book in the Alcott legacy series by Mary Ann Minatra. Great historical novels that start in the 1820s through 1918. If you like books based on history these are some of the best I have read in a long time.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:26 PM

I have read the Agenda 21 book and also Janet Evanovich is a favorite. I find that I don't spend a lot of time reading books when I can be on here seeing what everyone else has accomplished!!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 PM

Right now I'm books by Heather Huffman. Most of them I got free on my Nook and the others I paid under $3 for. I was interested at first because of her last name; my mothers maiden name which is not very common. I was hooked on the first book and have all that I can find that downloaded. They are based on true life stories or situations to bring the focus of the topic to the forefront. Sometimes we have a tendancy to forget things that happen in life that we don't see. I've read her books on human trafficking, wrongly being imprisonment, things like that. As soon as I read those I'm reading the next in line of one of the many vampire series that I love to read. I love reading.