Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what to do with old text books and other books? >

what to do with old text books and other books?

what to do with old text books and other books?

Old 10-30-2011, 01:31 AM
MTS
Banned

Just an FYI - from a local library's website regarding donations:

Magazines, including National Geographic, loose or in bound volumes
Encyclopedias
Law Books
Textbooks
Computer software
Musty, mildewed, soiled or damaged items

Before bringing your items for donation to the Library, please contact:

Definitely check first before you load up the car and attempt to drop them off. ;-)
Old 10-30-2011, 05:06 AM

If the library won't take them take them to a thrift store. That's what I did with mine. There is always someone trying to learn on a budget; this may help them.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Banned

Take them to a collage, they may be able to use some for studies, and if gives the children that can't pay full price for there book a chance to buy used books at a much cheaper price.
GOD bless.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
If your local library has a book sale (ours does twice a year as a fund raiser) take them there for the sale. They are donations and you can get tax credit regardless of their age.
There are many people who want these old books and text books. If not your library, find one that does. They will love having them and it will help them raise funds for their collections.
i'm a volunteer at my town library and sad to say, textbooks come in so often that unless they're this current year's, we throw them out. no one wants them, especially the sciences, the computer ones or geography. all of those subjects change so much from year to year that they just aren't up to date.
medical books are mostly out of date, especially if they name drugs, and child-raising trends change all the time. even psychology trends change as newer theories take place. with the advent of computers, it's hard for libraries groups to find buyers for any encyclopedias, believe it not. no one wants to make room for them at home when they cane look up the newest information online. and don't even mention exercise or diet, they change every week, as we all know. and if you live in a town with recycling regs, as i do, it's hard to find a way to get rid of them. in my town, we have to separate the pages from the covers for hardbacks, a very time-consuming job. and the town doesn't appreciate having to arrange an extra pickup every week. my advice is to check in advance before assuming that anyone can really use them. don't pack them up until you know what they want. it's often easier for private homes to put books out for pickup than for public libraries.

EDIT: the novels sell very well and the kid's book as well. especially the kids books. also "coffee table" books that can be given as gifts. it's very sad. good luck.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:10 AM

You can donate them to used book stores, or even the Salvation Army in our area.