Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you call ............ >

What do you call ............

What do you call ............

Old 09-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Yeah Qbeth, When I lived in Massachusetts, I called soda or (pop) tonic also. When I came to Canada and asked for a tonic they didn't know what I was talking about. They though I meant hair tonic or some such thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who called it tonic. Now, I call it pop. Just just use to it here.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:35 PM

works.When I lived in Massachesetts, way back when, I called soda or pop, tonic. When I moved to Canada and I asked for a tonic, they didn't know what I was talking about. they thought I wanted hair tonic or something. I've since learned to call it pop or soda, either one
Old 09-28-2010, 02:50 PM

This thread is a hoot (funny)! I grew up right by the submarine (as in Navy vessel) capital of the world so you certainly didn't eat subs, you ate grinders. When I went to college in VA they were hoagies. My grandpa put trash in the ash can. If it rained and the sun was shining my mom used to say "the witch is making butter" and a teacher once said "the devil's beating his wife." We used elastics to hold a group of things and blew our noses into tissues. My mother never bought fabric to make our clothes, only material. When I moved to Baltimore, pronounced Bawlmer and always followed by Hon, I learned that their former football team was not the Colts but the Coats and their baseball team is not the Orioles but the Oreos. For vacation people go downey ocean (Ocean City). A co-worker asked me to "ride [him] to the other office" instead of give him a ride (at first I respectfully declined). Took a while to realize that a dugg is a 4 legged creature often named Rover or Max. There instead of being scared you get skerd. My DS's girlfriend from VA calls a toilet a tallit (which just makes me LOL). I'm living in NM now and it drives me crazy when people say they are going to "chunk it out" instead of throw it out (in CT we chucked things out) and insist that he did it hisself and they did it theirselfs. Folks around here are always fixin' to do something. They also drink allcohol instead of alcohol. Having been a Navy wife I've lived a few places and learned the differ'nt ways of speaking via the jeopardy/wheel of fortune method...hints and context. I love our language! Now I'm fixin' to make a grinder with some cold meat (stuff you buy at the deli counter for sandwiches), chunk the garbage in the ashcan and see if I can find some highlights of an old Coats game, hopefully one where Johnny Unitas hisself is playing.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:39 PM

i grew up in michigan, lived if florida for years, them moved to massachusetts...

i have had pop, coke, (even though all i drink is pepsi) and soda.. and they all tasted exactly the same!! same with subs, hoagies & grinders.

my son has never had a comforter on his bed, it has always been a "comfortable"

whenever dh or any of the kids & gkids want to wind me up, they ask if i will take them to the Liberry (library) in feburary (february) cause i will correct them every single time that used to be how they determined if i was paying attention to thier rambles...

i still call everyone sugar & hon.. and still let out an occational y'all... usually at the kids when i tell them "y'all are making me nuts!"
Old 09-28-2010, 03:50 PM

While they both use ink, my guess would be that 'ink pen' was used to differentiate from the 'fountain pen'
Old 09-28-2010, 04:36 PM

we called it a Couch and Pop. When I say "Over Yonder" out in public, I always still get a giggle from someone. Do you swim in a Creek or Crick? Is it a Bag, Sack or Poke?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:42 PM

I edited this quote from another post.
She said:

I call that thing in the dash - the car pocket (I'm always being corrected)
[/quote]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
My comment:
I have never thought about it much, but we grew up calling it "the glove compartment." I still say that today. Where did that come from?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 PM

Well, Im in florida but from louisiana and one saying they have over her that just kills me is - instead of saying you cant get in touch with someone, they say - can't get up with them! I just think this is hilarious!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by pinebeltquilter
...By way, Southern Talk in the movies is not true Southern. We do not say " I do declar" or any of the other sayings like the actors do. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ditto! I have YET to hear a correctly-done Southern accent on TV or in the movies. :lol:
Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 PM

In our family, and extended, it's called a poda sop, has been since my youngest started talking, and the other children in the family call it that too, and the adults follow suit. We never say sofa, always couch. My Grandma always said AL(as in Al Rouker), mands, for almonds, no one can figure out where she got this. Other weird things said are: torlet toilet), chimley(chimney) and warsh(wash).