Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What do you collect ~ besides fabric

I collect pincushion, Santas (though I have been giving them away) snowmen, and back in the 80's I collected Cabbage Patch dolls. I have over 30 and I work with two young men that have young daughters and I gave each girl one of my dolls and the birth certificate. Funny the one I gave to Ryleigh had the same birthday as she did, how cool it that? I also have way too many cook books and embroidery designs for my machine that I will never use and I have zillions of quilt magazines that I can not part with.

Blog Entries
    I love vintage sewing machines, especially hand cranks , but I've limited myself to the number that can fit in my workroom and on display. I collect and play musical instruments, mostly the string family. I collect nesting dolls. And bears - especially Muffy Vanderbear, her dog Lulu, cat Purrlie - and all their little outfits of course!

NOTHING! my DH is just about 3 " short of being a hoarder and I spend my time dissuading him from getting another thing! LOL when not tearing my hair out!

i collect...

* puppy hair on my black work clothes
    * ex-husbands (i've got two, so far)
    * vintage sewing machines (i have 7)
    * race t-shirts
    i'd like to collect race medals... i only have 2, so far. i'll have three by next month
    * running slow isn't a character flaw; quitting is.
    * ANY idiot can run; it takes a SPECIAL KIND OF IDIOT to run a marathon.

*4- 5ks *1- 5miler *1- 10k *2- 13.1 *1- 26.2.... and counting

Lately, it's been Starbucks cards, but I also collect stuffed animals (once in a while) and quilt books. It used to be regular books as well, but found the library to be much cheaper, since I rarely reread most books. If I had more money, there are so many things that are collectable. As it is, I have 3 sewing machines and a LA.

Vintage fabric, vintage sewing items, tea pots, thimbles, Fenton Hobnob Glassware, vintage sewing machines, antique glassware, and antique quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner747 View Post
    I have collected British china cups and saucers, old books and Bibles, penny stocks, and best of all Grandchildren.
    Oh, yes...I nearly forgot. I also collect Male Angel figurines, gold and silver coins, and dirt from other countries - so far Australia, Afghanistan, Ireland, Hawaii (I know it's a state but it is beautiful), and Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    My house collects dust.........
    My collection is older - they have already full-grown dust bunnies!

I collect fairies...started with Boyd fairies, then went to kitchen fairies. Down sized homes and have little room to start a new line. :-)

I collect teddy bears. Have over 50 now - some small and some over 3' tall and they all make me smile. Couldn't part with any of them.

Blog Entries
    Antique dolls are my favorite things, and I love old hand made quilts, miniature woven baskets, all kinds of fabrics (mostly FQs), and friends, of course!!

Now this is funny. I have moved from alimony checks to retirement checks....
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Lea View Post
    I read all the post on this thread. I am very impressed with the interesting stuff we collect. I started collecting fat. I have gained 40 lbs. Last year. Also Betty Boop, deck of cards from places I have been. Pillsbury , see, hear and speck no evil. green M & M's. Pink depression glass and dead people ( genealogy ). Put my favorite thing to collect is alimony checks.
    KSue

I collect ladybugs. Not all ladybugs, but just the ones I like. Jim Shore and Willow Tree. For a while I was collecting Christmas Carolers but not any more. I also collect genealogy records (haven't done that for a while tho).
    KSue

Quote Originally Posted by psychonurse View Post
    Did u see recently someone of Craigs list in Bham had sheet music listed?
    No I didn't see it yet, but I'll try to find it now! Thanks for the tip!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

What a fun thread! I collect boxes, but I collect boxes that don't look like boxes! LOL! Most of my boxes are wooden, but I have quite a few that are made of other substances too. I'm gonna attempt to post 3 pictures so you know what I mean!

Believe it or not, I got my sewing machine box years before I ever started sewing! It sure looks good in my sewing room though! :c) My gazebo is one of my more expensive boxes. The top of it opens, and the stairs also slide out to reveal a "box" area. And on the shelf pictured, the two burled wood pieces, the two Noah's arks, and the large globe are all boxes. :c)

Donna
    Attached Images Attached Images

DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

WOW What a great post. Have smiled a lot. Brought back lots of happy memories. My collections seem to change with time. I started with stamps, next dolls then on to Waterford Crystal. Now I collect thimbles. I do have lots of WIP's and UFO's but they really collected me.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

I collect vintage sewing machines-and am looking for a hand-crank; miniatures, buttons, Precious Moments figurines (been long time since bought any), some chicken things, Old Country Roses china, moose things, and snowmen items for Christmas time.... and, and............!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Bells, have not only the states but countries. Thanks to my children and grandchildren that travel the world
    Last edited by themary; 03-17-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: missing words
    Grandmother of 5 and great grandmother of 1,

Watering cans and old toys
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Wow. I love the sewing machine the most. The gazebo is really neat too. Thanks for posting pics.
    Next to God we are indebted to women, first for life itself, and then for making it worth having.

Christian Nestell Bovee,

Too funny. I love your sense of humor. Congratulations on your running. My step sister is a runner too. I admire your stamina and your determination.
    Next to God we are indebted to women, first for life itself, and then for making it worth having.

Christian Nestell Bovee,

Another dust collector here.

Dust! That's because I love to sew and hate to clean!
    Debra

Power Poster
    minature telephones worked for phone co 35 yrs, thimbles spoons
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    Emmit the Clown ,Minature Timex clocks,Minature silver objects.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast