Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What Do You Use for Dry Hands? >

What Do You Use for Dry Hands?

What Do You Use for Dry Hands?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 PM

I buy Wool Wax Creme in Berlin Ohio. Works great.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by lilithcat
Originally Posted by kso
Avon's silicone glove hand cream.
Amen! That stuff is wonderful! I keep a tube in every room and one in my purse. It's not greasy and really lasts once you put it on.

Cat
Yep. And you can use it and go right back to working with fabric and it doesn't cause a problem. Not greasy or slippery. Great stuff!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Glaxxal Base.
It's the thick cream that pharmacists use to mix medication into for medicated creams.
It has no perfumes, alcohols, silicone,etc.
Just a good heavy moisturizing cream
Also good on eczema.
I know. I'm a nurse who washes her hands about 300 times a shift :)
Old 10-28-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
Help! I've tried every hand cream there is, including Gloves in a Bottle and the stuff they use on cows udders, but nothing seems to really help - especially after handling fabric. With winter coming on, I'm sure there are others out there with the same problem.
For me it isn't so much WHAT I use, but WHEN I use it. When my hands get really dry I slather them before I go to bed. In the morning they are much softer. Also after I have washed my hands and they are damp, I slather them and go read for a while till the cream has penetrated. You can even put on a pair of gloves for a while.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:44 AM

My daughter has terribly dry skin that she inherited as a result of family genes. Anyway we have been to soooooooooooo many skin and regular drs, and there is one thing that really works, Straight up Vaseline and cotton socks and gloves. Grease down at night and in the morning things are softer, cracks are less visible and feet and hands are happy. I started this when she was very young and today at 28yrs of age she still is doing this.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:52 AM

Avon's Slicone Glove
Old 10-28-2010, 05:25 AM

All of the above and one more simple thing...drink at least one more 8oz glass of water each day. The skin as an organ is at the bottom of the list of priorities for fluid. It is the first organ to lose moisture and the last to get it. I know it sounds way too simple but there it is, you will feel better generally and your skin will thank you.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:32 AM

What do I use for dry hands? The dishwasher.

Seriously, having a bad case of ecxema, my dermatologist told me after I finally had it cleared up from using his expensive cream, to keep it moist in the future by using vaseline. He (the expensive dermatologist) told me that the ingredient in all the expensive creams that really makes them work is the petroleum jelly, so just buy the petroleum jelly and save my money on all the extra fancy stuff added. Aside from the greasy feeling (which I discovered isn't so bad if I use just a tad of petroleum jelly and really massage it in) it has worked great for me.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:45 AM

Corn Huskers Lotion is the absolute best product ever for dry, chapped hands. My father, who gardened a lot and was out in all kinds of weather using his hands, used it all the time. Everyone I've recommended it to has loved it! It is non greasy and makes your hands feel like silk. My DH doesn't like the smell, but I do, so that's just a matter of your personal taste, but it very healing to chapped skin.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:46 AM

best products I have found are Vitamin E oil and olive oil, the
kind you cook with, yes. Both are great.